Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dbuck Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2008, 09:25 AM
    Cutting formica
    What is the recommended method to shorten a formica counter top so as not to produce a chipped and jagged edge?
    razor96 Posts: 87, Reputation: 8

Mar 11, 2008, 02:03 PM
    I would use a circular saw with a veneer cutting blade and masking tape over your line
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 02:28 PM
    A router with a veneer blade if you are near the edge. I do what razor recommends to get within 1/8" then use the router.
    razor96 Posts: 87, Reputation: 8

Mar 11, 2008, 02:49 PM
    You are correct ballengerb1 the router would make the edge smooth again. Thanks for the reminder. It has been awhile
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Mar 11, 2008, 07:04 PM
    Not in your case I wouldn't think but if the counter top is not attached you can just flip it upside down and cut it, no chiping there, but if it is already attached a skill saw is what I use, but I tape it first to where the cut line is on the tape, I then score it with a knife a few time and then cut it, and finish up with a jig saw when I get close to the wall.
    As for the router, if you can clamp a straight edge down to it then that would be the most accurate way to cut it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tiling formica backsplash [ 3 Answers ]

What modifications do I need to make to install ceramic tile on a formica backsplash? Can I simply "rough-up" the formica with coarse sandpaper? OR Is installing cement board onto the formica the best approach? OR Is there another method better or the only way? Thanks

Tiling Backsplash that now has formica [ 3 Answers ]

Must the formica that now covers my backsplash in my kitchen be removed before installing a new tile backsplash? CAn the tile be adhered directly to the formica? If so what needs to be done to it and what is the best adhesive to use?

Mosaic on formica? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to do a mosaic on my bath room counter which is formica. Will the mud base used for tile stick to formica? Is there an alternative or is it a lost cause?:confused:

Tile over formica? [ 6 Answers ]

Help - I am trying to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. Can I install tile over sound kitchen counter formica ?

View more questions Search