Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    divamommy13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2008, 06:53 AM
    Broken Shower Diverter
    Hi there,
    I'm a little lost as what to do. My shower diverter on my faucet broke and I'm wondering if I have to replace the whole faucet? It's the pull up kind.. Can someone please help?? I really don't want to hire a plumber if this is an easy fix...
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Can you tell us the brand of valve you have, model would be great too. Is the diverter on the spout or the escutcheon plate near the handle?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 09:52 AM
    Divamommy... are you telling us that you have a tub spout diverter that has broken?

If so these are easy to replace (I swear). There are a few different kinds:

1) spout is threaded on (middle, small pic.)... just need to twist this off (by hand.. maybe?) (need teflon tape to wrap threads when installing the new one (6-7 wraps clockwise).

2) spout is by 0ring.. slides onto pipe, then tightened in place by allen screw (check under spout for indent to reach up and in with allen wrenches to remove (see top pic.)

3) spout is adjustable thread.. locks in by allen screw in bottom (bottom pic).

So determine your type and then go to home supply or if necessary a plumbing supply house and buy a new one.

Let us know if you need more information... OR IF I WAS WRONG IN HOW I READ YOUR POST.. ;)... Talk soon... Mark
    Attached Images

divamommy13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2008, 10:24 AM
    It's not the actual faucet that is broken, it's the piece that you pull up to allow the faucet to go from tub to shower. I do not have a make or model, as it is the orig. faucet that was installed back when my home was built(about 20 yrs. Ago). Now am I able to replace the pull up piece or do I have to replace the whole faucet?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower diverter [ 1 Answers ]

In my bathtub shower too much water comes out the bath faucet when I pull up the water diverter to shower leaving insufficient water going to the shower head. How do I fix this?

Shower diverter [ 4 Answers ]

A plumbing problem that we can't seem to get a grip on: When we turn the shower knob, the water still runs out of the tub spout. There was initially a piece missing (black rubber gasket type fitting) from the back of the diverter assembly, but now that this piece has been added the assembly either...

Shower diverter [ 1 Answers ]

Jayhawk New Member Join Date: Mar 2006 Speedball: I did as you suggested, took out the valves and flushed the shower mixer/diverter. Pressure was very good and some of the lime and calcium came out. I cleaned up the valves with vinegar and put them back in place. Turned on the water and...

Shower diverter [ 6 Answers ]

Having trouble with the shower. More water coming out of faucets than the shower. We replaced the diverter but this did not help. Any other ideas. Thanks Jo D.

View more questions Search