Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    im-fran Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2008, 05:20 AM
    Length of Shadow at different times of year
    How do I calculate shadow length

I am trying to ascertain how long the shadow will be of a building to be constructed near be at different times during the year. I am looking for a formula that will allow for the direction I am facing. Obviously as the sun moves from East to West it is only at certain times of the day this building will cause shadow that may or not affect my depending on the length. I should appreciate any help

im-fran
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 05:40 AM
    The length of the building's shadow can be computed if you know the height of the building and the altitude of the sun above the horizon (measured in degrees), like this:

Length of Shadow = Height of building/tangent(sun altitude)

The altitude of the sun changes throughout the day - obviously being lowest at sunrise and sunset and highest at around noon. It also varies by season - the sun is lower in the sky in December than June, and so the building casts a longer shadow.

Here is a web tool that allows you to determine the sun's position in the sky for any day and location:

Altitude and Azimuth of the Moon/Sun (USNO)
    HelpSkippy Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2008, 04:29 PM
    Use a three dimensional software program for this also, i.e.. Sketchup or 3d Studio max, as this will allow you to build a virtual model of your proposal, and check sunlight angles/ shadows etc

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shadow Calculation [ 13 Answers ]

Hi.. Can anyone able to give me answer for this question.. How to show the shadow of an object for(e.g.Buildings) when the position of sun and geographical position of building is known? Also say me in which direction the shadow will fall and what will be the length of the shadow? Is their...

What is length of time [ 2 Answers ]

Creditor got judgement on me. Wanted to know how many years in Georgia does a cditor have. Before by law they can't do anything

Length of time Chapter 7 remains on Credit Report [ 1 Answers ]

At one time CHapter 7 only remained on your credit report for 7 years instead of ten. If filed my Chapter 7 prior to the change in the length of time am I under the ten years or the seven years. My Chapter 7 was discharged in January of 2000. If I am right what can I do? Sincerely, Everett...

Concrete nail length [ 1 Answers ]

I’m getting ready to frame my basement, and would like to know what length of concrete nail to use when attaching the bottom plate to the floor? I will be using 2x4’s and attaching them to the floor with a Hilti dx-350 nailer. I have some 2 ½ nails but wondered is the one inch of nail that would...

View more questions Search