Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    margar Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

Mar 11, 2008, 05:02 AM
    Table color has faded
    My mother purchased a mahogany table 50 years ago. I now have it. She kept the top covered and the drop leaves were kept down and exposed. The color of the leaves have faded to a brownish color, while the top is the original red. What can I do to return the leaves to the original color? Do I dare strip, restain and revarnish it? It is a lovely table with matching buffet. I want to keep in the family for future generations, but would like for it to back to the original colors on the leaves.. can anyone help me.. thanks:confused:
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 05:27 AM
    I would suggest not doing it yourself if it is a family heirloom. Have it done professionally.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 08:15 PM
    I agree with tickle, let a professional do it.

The red pigments of the stain have faded due to the exposure to light over the years. It most probably has a lacquer finish. Many commercial pieces are finished with a two step process. A stain is applied as a base color and a tinted lacquer finish is applied. If you attempt any repairs you will probably not be able to match the leaves with the top. Result will be removing everything and starting over. A skilled furniture repair technician will probably be able to simply spray a coat of tented lacquer to restore its original look.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2008, 01:45 AM
    Recently, I took two coffee table drop-leaves home to refinish for a customer that had been damaged by a liquid that dissolved some of the finish. I went to the Sherwin-Williams paint store and had them custom make a stain to match that which is on the rest of the table. The stain when applied to the bare wood on the leaves matches the rest of the table perfectly. But, this is a modern table and undoubtedly has a clear-cote lacquer finish over the stained surface. So, I am sure that when I am done with it, all of the pieces will match as far as the color and rubbed-out effect of the finish is concerned.

My point is, that you might not have to strip the whole table, depending on what the clear finish is, that is, if it does have a clear finish on it, since you haven't mentioned what kind of finish is on it other than the color that it is and that you have thoughts of doing re-varnishing.

Is it varnish, lacquer or something else that the finish is? If it is old enough, it could even be a varnish-stain where the stain and varnish are together in the container as one.

I do agree that hiring a professional is probably the best route to go. However, if it is lacquer, then it might be possible for you strip the leaves yourself, lightly sand, get a custom stain made, apply the stain according to the directions on the label and by what the person at the paint store tells you and then apply some coats of a light lacquer such as Deft.

If you could provide a couple of images here, one being of the whole table and also a close-up of a section of the finish, it would help us to advise you the best concerning your table.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor colors faded (Monitor color problem) [ 5 Answers ]

I have an envision flat screen monitor and the issue is I had a worm on my computer so I had to reboot it.When the startup came up the colors were faded in a blueish light hue . I updated the drives but still nothing worked. I don't know if it's the monitor or vga cable or just the video card in...

At-home hair color using Color Zap, then Wella color [ 2 Answers ]

I have naturally medium brown hair. I have always looked better with blonde hair, and I went to salons for years to have my hair colored. I can no longer afford the $100+ visits every 3 weeks, so I have tried doing it myself. Recently I used Color Zap to remove all color (because I had several...

Haircolor faded by the sun. [ 7 Answers ]

:eek: how do I repair my roots from sun fade? Sat yesterday... pure sun... oops... watching George Clooney filming his new movie... LEATHERHEADS. If anyone can tell me how to fix this... my roots are blonde... the rest is brown... thanks

Removal of faded semi permanent hair color [ 1 Answers ]

I need help removing red semi permanent hair dye to restore my natural strawberry blond color. Any help?

View more questions Search