Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Katieme Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 11:55 PM
    I rented a room and the roommate has been here a little over a month and I want to give her notice to vacate. Do I give her 30 or 60 days? It was rented on a month to month basis. She says that I have to pay her moving in costs and her moving out costs if I want her to leave. I do not have a problem with giving her back the security deposit.
    I want to do it legally and correctly.I live in California.
    LifePaparazzi Posts: 86, Reputation: 9

Mar 11, 2008, 01:49 AM
    Without a written contract that binds you to allow her to stay for a given amount of time, you can boot her out. If you have nothing more then a month to month thing, you have to give her only 30 days, written notice.

Two things though. You must give it to her in writing. I would have it delivered via registered letter, so you have proof she got it. Also, DO NOT refund a security deposit until after she has totally moved out of the place.

Nice thing is, you don't really even have to give her a reason. I would simply state that you need the room for personal reasons. Leave it at that. One you have informed her to vacate, and she does not, you can simply call the law on her. You may or may not have to file an eviction notice. It depends on your county etc. Just call the police and they will tell you.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 04:31 AM
    If she is paying month to month then you don't really have to give her 30 days notice, but for the sake of being easy to get along with, give her 30 days notice. Just give her back her security deposit. You don't have to pay her anything over and above that amount.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 06:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Katieme
    I rented a room and the roommate has been here a little over a month and I want to give her notice to vacate. Do I give her 30 or 60 days? It was rented on a month to month basis. She says that I have to pay her moving in costs and her moving out costs if I want her to leave. I do not have a problem with giving her back the security deposit.
    I want to do it legally and correctly.

I find California a little bit complicated.

That being said if she is month to month you would give her 30 days but that's not just any 30 days, it's the rental cycle. For example, if she pays rent on the 1st you have to give her 30 days from the 1st, not 30 days from the 15th or some other date.

If you search "Express Evictions - California" you will find some really good info. Very thorough.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 11, 2008, 07:46 AM
    Not sure what tickle was thinking of but you do have to give her notice of one full rental period. It does not have to be sent registered mail, but you should get her to sign acknowledgement of receipt ot have a witness that you gave it to her.

If she does not leave by the specified date, then you have to start formal eviciton proceedings. Don't know where she's getting the idea that you need to pay her moving expenses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evicting a roommate [ 7 Answers ]

How can I evict my boyfriend from my house? He is not on the title to the house or the mortgage. He will not leave on his own, so I need to know what I have to do to get him out. I live in Ohio.

Evicting roommate [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings folks, About 7 months ago, I rented a room in my house to an old friend that recently came back into my life. He had just started a new job, and was looking for a place to stay. I wrote up a month-to-month contract, and he signed it. Terms were $400 a month due at the end of the...

Evicting roommate [ 3 Answers ]

I have a friend who has been living with her boyfriend for 10 years. He does not pay any bills or rent. His name is not on the lease. My friend lives in Georgia. My friend wants her boyfriend to leave her house. The only problem is that they have children together that live in the house with...

View more questions Search