Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HarajukuGirl Posts: 207, Reputation: 9

Mar 10, 2008, 07:45 PM
    The New 7 ddeadly sins
    [This is not meant to be offended, please share our comments]

Okay, the church has gone too far this time...
    The Pop has added new sins for the first time in God knows how many years...
    The new 7 deadly sins are...

1.Environmental pollution- Okay, Uhm... We all own a car of some sort? We all BBQ, We all throw our trash that smells in the street and cause horrid smells. Basically everyone is committing this sin.

2.Genetic manipulation- Did the Pope think that most fruit we have today is Genetically engineered?

3.Accumulating excessive wealth- Well excuse me for being rich and having a good job, what would you like me to do about it? This is how my life is, and this is the path God put for me. That's what a rich man would say, no? Besides, the Pope forgot that we already have a sin.. its called GREED.

4.Inflicting poverty -Well, inflicting poverty, haha... Funny, lets go tell all the US troops fighting four our country this. What a laugh they will get.

5. Drug trafficking and consumption- now, drugs are bad as it is, unless for medical reasons, this sin is reasonable.

6.Morally debatable experiments- Religion has always been agiasnt science, there's not much I can say about this subject here,

7. Violation of fundamental rights of human nature- Everyone harms nature day by day with out knowing it. Maybe I don't understand what this means, but I see it as ruining nature... Now.. We have an immense growing population, we have to run down some land, and make room for houses, where else will we live? Not building houses for the people, isn't that inflicting poverty? ;p

If you have any opinions, respond. I'd love to hear other peoples thoughts.
    the pope went a little too far... these aren't sins, most of this is just how man kind works.
    Where was this in the bible 2,000 years ago? (exaggeration in the years)
    But come on now people, were just being silly.

Source: The news and this site I googled BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Fewer confessions and new sins
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 07:48 PM
    Moved from Christianity to Religious Discussion, since this will obviouslly offend many and this allows for a more offended discussion area.

Mar 10, 2008, 08:03 PM
    Oh okay, thanks.

Well... How do you feel on this? I don't feel tis right he is changing the sins... the 7 sins we had originally is what is currption.
    nicki143 Posts: 187, Reputation: 22

Mar 11, 2008, 05:47 AM
    Just shows you then that religion is nothing than made up if some glorified priest can change them.
    What did he do wake up and think I know what I will do today I have not had much world wide coverage these past few months I will change the sin
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 05:50 AM
    I find it odd that one needs someone else to tell them not to do this stuff.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HarajukuGirl

1.Environmental pollution- Okay, Uhm... We all own a car of some sort? We all BBQ, We all throw our trash that smells in the street and cause horrid smells. Basically everyone is committing this sin.

2.Genetic manipulation- Did the Pope think that most fruit we have today is Genetically engineered?

3.Accumulating excessive wealth- Well excuse me for being rich and having a good job, what would you like me to do about it? This is how my life is, and this is the path God put for me. Thats what a rich man would say, no? Besides, the Pope forgot that we already have a sin.. its called GREED.

4.Inflicting poverty -Well, inflicting poverty, haha...Funny, lets go tell all the US troops fighting four our country this. What a laugh they will get.

5. Drug trafficking and consumption- now, drugs are bad as it is, unless for medical reasons, this sin is reasonable.

6.Morally debatable experiments- Religion has always been agiasnt science, theres not much I can say about this subject here,

7. Violation of fundamental rights of human nature- Everyone harms nature day by day with out knowing it. Maybe I dont understand what this means, but I see it as ruining nature... Now.. We have an immense growing population, we have to run down some land, and make room for houses, where else will we live? Not building houses for the people, isnt that inflicting poverty? ;p

the pope went a little too far....these arent sins, most of this is just how man kind works.

Source: The news and this site i googled BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Fewer confessions and new sins
    I have a problem with the drug one. I worked for a drug company and medical drugs are HORRIBLE! Take a look a Fosamax if you take that stuff for osteoporosis you have a very HIGH chance of burning a hole in your esophagus. Even if you follow the directions which are insane. Vioxx heart attack in a pill. I saw one on TV for Bi polar disorder that can cause death. Dr.'s prescribe those pills for one thing then the pill cause side effects that you have to take more pills to take care of those side effects Those should also be considered a sin.

Hey what about pot God put it here is that a sin too?

I like the wealth one. I hope the churches tell all the Rich people who are part of the congregation and give money to the church every week that they are all going to Hell for being extremely rich.

Now if they would only make touching little boys a deadly sin oh wait isn't that LUST!!

Mar 11, 2008, 03:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom
    I have a problem with the drug one. I worked for a drug company and medical drugs are HORRIBLE! Take a look a Fosamax if you take that stuff for osteoporosis you have a very HIGH chance of burning a hole in your esophagus. Even if you follow the directions which are insane. Vioxx heart attack in a pill. I saw one on TV for Bi polar disorder that can cause death. Dr.'s prescribe those pills for one thing then the pill cause side effects that you have to take more pills to take care of those side effects Those should also be considered a sin.

Hey what about pot God put it here is that a sin too?

I like the wealth one. I hope the churches tell all the Rich people who are part of the congregation and give money to the church every week that they are all going to Hell for being extremely rich.

Now if they would only make touching little boys a deadly sin oh wait isn't that LUST!!!!!!
    Bahahaha. Lust... you know Pedophilia was also one of the new sins, and when I told my friend he said "PREIST TOUCH LITTLE BOYS!"

But yeah your right about the drug thing...
    The pope has gone stupid or crazy...
    He can't add new sins. LOL The original 7 sins are perfect, they are what currpot the earth. I cause about all of the new sins today. So Guess Im going to Hell? Thanks Pope.

-.-
    The church is money hungry as it is. So I guess the greed factor should be turned on them.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Mar 11, 2008, 03:09 PM
    Does anyone know exactly what the Catholic definition of a deadly sin is? Like, do they mean that you go to hell for it? I've always been confused about that.

Mar 11, 2008, 03:22 PM
    I think it means if you commit it, then your going to Hell...
    But I love how you can just go to confession, and then your fine again
    Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HarajukuGirl

3.Accumulating excessive wealth- Well excuse me for being rich and having a good job, what would you like me to do about it? This is how my life is, and this is the path God put for me. Thats what a rich man would say, no? Besides, the Pope forgot that we already have a sin.. its called GREED.

4.Inflicting poverty -Well, inflicting poverty, haha...Funny, lets go tell all the US troops fighting four our country this. What a laugh they will get.

6.Morally debatable experiments- Religion has always been agiasnt science, theres not much I can say about this subject here,

7. Violation of fundamental rights of human nature- Everyone harms nature day by day with out knowing it. Maybe I dont understand what this means, but I see it as ruining nature... Now.. We have an immense growing population, we have to run down some land, and make room for houses, where else will we live? Not building houses for the people, isnt that inflicting poverty? ;p

the pope went a little too far....these arent sins, most of this is just how man kind works.

Source: The news and this site i googled BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Fewer confessions and new sins

First, yes I am offended in several areas, first that one brings up a subject that is of course more attacking a religion they appear to know little about.

This set us "sins" was not to replace the original idea of the seven deadly sins, but was made to make people think of additional errors and sin in their life.

Next this is of course a older article since this listing was done last year.

Environmental issues, actually one of the things Christians often get accused of being not politically correct, it can be wasting our resourse, globial warming and many things hurting our environment. Christians have a duty to protect the earth that God gave them. And of course while we use cars and toasters and other things, ( this is always an attack of those that don't wish to actually discuss saving the enviorment) it can mean we recycle and do our part as much as we can. So the church should become more socially powered to help with the environment

Genetic manipulation, is a seroius problem, from cloning sheep to the attempts to start cloning human body parts and even humans in many labs. So yes this is a serious religioius issue, not something to be taken as lightly as it appears many do

Accumulating excessive wealth, actually goes beyond greed, to the fact that even good people often do not use their wealth properly It may include greed, It also did not say you can be well off, or you can not have things, but there are limits where it is beyond needed and where it is not being used to help others. So you have a good job, do you give your 10 percent back to God ?

Inflicting poverty, not sure what your comments about the war has to do with it, since in fact the war we are fighting is bring prosperity back to their people. But often we look at issues where people are keep in economic slavery.

Drug trafficking and consumption, enough said

Morally debatable experiments, no the church is not against science, it is against those who attack moral values. This can go back to cloning, and many activities science does that goes against proper morals of God

Violation of fundamental rights of human nature, I would have to re-read his original writings to know what was being discussed, but I to me, some of the more sexual issues that are being done that is againts human nature is what I think of.

And all of this is in the bible, our responsibility to others, responsibility to take care of the earth and a set of moral values that mean little to most today.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Violation of fundamental rights of human nature, I would have to re-read his orginal writings to know what was being discussed, but I to me, some of the more sexual issues that are being done that is againts human nature is what I think of.
    Do you mean homosexuality?

Mar 11, 2008, 04:08 PM
    To: Fr_Chuck

I don't see how these sings help religion.
    Last year, or 3 yrs... its still valid right?

Now... In reply to what you said.

"Enviormental issues, actually one of the things Christians often get accused of being not politically correct, it can be wasting our resourse, globial warming and many things hurting our enviorment. Christians have a duty to protect the earth that God gave them. And of course while we use cars and toasters and other things, ( this is always an attack of those that don't wish to actually discuss saving the enviorment) it can mean we recycle and do our part as much as we can. So the church should become more socially powered to help with the enviorment"

RE: This is sin ridiculous. Everyone pollutes, not just the Christians . Of course we can do so much to help our environment. The church to become more socially powered to help the environment? The church is doing diddely sqaut for the environment.

"Genetic manipulation, is a seroius problem, from cloning sheep to the attempts to start cloning human body parts and even humans in many labs. So yes this is a serious religioius issue, not something to be taken as lightly as it appears many do"

RE: Now, I like science... Clonning animals is wrong but, doing this can help come to new cures, as in cloning good DNA and doing DNA splicing.Its not ethical, so I can't really argue with you on this one. Because It is wrong, but to man kind, it can be right.

"Accumulating excessive wealth, actually goes beyond greed, to the fact that even good people often do not use thier wealth properly It may include greed, It also did not say you can be well off, or you can not have things, but there are limits where it is beyond needed and where it is not being used to help others. So you have a good job, do you give your 10 percent back to God ? "

RE: If I have a well paying job, I'm not being greedy, Im successful.what I do with my money is my business right? Giving 10% of my salary's is a lot, but to GOD? God is sitting there wating to collect my money? No, it's the church. The church doesn't take that money and put it in a little box and wait for God to come pick it up. They use to it pay for stuff.

"Inflicting poverty, not sure what your comments about the war has to do with it, since in fact the war we are fighting is bring prosperity back to thier people. But often we look at issues where people are keep in economic slavery."

RE: LOL Prosperity's? How is bombing, killing, invading helping that? All we have brung them is pain, death, and destroyed land. And All it broguht us is BILLLIONS of dollars in debt. TY Pres. Bush. You're a sinner.

"Drug trafficking and consumption, enough said"

RE:, Yup. Drugs are bad.

"Morally debatable experiments, no the church is not against science, it is against those who attack moral values. this can go back to cloning, and many activities science does that goes agaisnt proper morals of God"

RE: Honestly, Science and Church cannot be put together. They both are so different. I can't even compare them at all. I mean Science is straight facts that can be proven unlike Religion, except if you talk about Jesus, we know he was there, tis recorded in History. When you think of it, Science has helped so many people... God has helped people, has he really? Or do we just like to think it to feel safe? God wasn't there to help the people when the twin towers fell, hurricaine katrina hit, etc.

"Violation of fundamental rights of human nature, I would have to re-read his orginal writings to know what was being discussed, but I to me, some of the more sexual issues that are being done that is againts human nature is what I think of."

Re: I don't understand this sin, so I have nothing to say for it honestly. But... Human nature, if it means rape, and sexual abuse, then for sure it is a Sin !00%, then again wouldn't that fall into lust?

"our responsiblity to others, responsibility to take care of the earth and a set of moral values that mean little to most today."

Re: I believe so too.

So For osmethings I agree and disagree with you. I am a christian, not very religion as you can see...
    But... its hard to keep having faith

*EDIt*. God, Jesus, they want us to be happy, no? So why is it wrong to love someone of the same sex? It isn't. Nothing is sinful or wrong to love a man if you're a man, or to be a lesbian.
    I am not gay, but if I was, that would make me a sinner? And not being able to get married? The church is a wonderful place.
    You pay them 700$ to say "I do" to a person you love and if the person you love is the same sex your not welcomed.
    Also, the church making you take a test before your married? Come on... If I want to marry him, let me do it. I don't need your approval by some test. That's what a divorce is for.
    OH wait. That's not Christian to. Even if my husband becomes a drunk down drug addict, I have to stay with him for God.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 04:10 PM
    I'll admit, #s 3 and 4 do kind of contradict one another.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Mar 11, 2008, 05:45 PM
    There are literally millions of Christians out here who don't care one way or another what the Pope has to say, so he hasn't changed anything anymore than the pronouncements of any other celebrity would.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 05:54 PM
    I read that in the newspaper today. Specifically it was the Catholic church, which is headed by the pope. How can Gods laws be updated by man. That is unbelievable.

As far as many new things in today's world. I agree, people do not need to be told. These fall along the most common. Common sense should prevail on what is right and wrong.

Seven deadly sins do not need upgrading. Does not need to be changed. I do not know where this all comes from. Guess the church wants to make it look like they are doing something, to try to influence the members in an apparent positive way.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Genetic manipulation, is a seroius problem, from cloning sheep to the attempts to start cloning human body parts and even humans in many labs. So yes this is a serious religioius issue, not something to be taken as lightly as it appears many do
    Cloning human parts in a lab is a fantastic idea and possibly the greatest contribution science has ever made to mankind. We experience a shortage of organs in this country and as a result, thousands of men, women and children die awaiting transplant (my dad was one of them). If we could grow livers and hearts and kidneys and lungs in a lab, we could save these lives. Since we can't manage to convince people to become organ donors, we have to seek artificial means. There's nothing sinister about it.

But on to the original post...

I think the intent of the "new" sins is to make an impact and get followers to consider the way they are living their lives and the harm they might be doing to themselves and/or to others. Given that I'm not Catholic I don't really know if now that the Pope says you must recycle that you will go to hell for littering, but I doubt it. It's a control mechanism. It's calling attention to what the church considers important issues and labeling them as horrible, horrible things so that followers will change their ways. Perhaps they should be called the New Seven "Deadly Sins".

That being said I don't necessarily agree with all of the new "sins" and I think the OP might be simplifying the intent of the "sins" as well. Environmental pollution is likely not intended that you should go to hell for driving an SUV, but rather that by wasting resources and polluting the world you are not being a good person. Genetic manipulation is probably geared more toward sinister means like cloning people so we can experiment on them, not engineering crops to grow in lower temps to supply more food to the world. Accumulating excessive wealth is probably meant to guilt people into donating more, and inflicting poverty goes with that (if you are wealthy others suffer because you have things that they do not). And so on...

I think the real kicker in the article is this:

He also named abortion and paedophilia as two of the greatest sins of our times. The archbishop brushed off cases of sexual violence against minors committed by priests as "exaggerations by the mass media aimed at discrediting the Church".

But that's another thread! :D

Mar 11, 2008, 08:08 PM
    Greath points everyone, haha.
    There is no need for new sins.
    But dang it, Science and Religion, I can't pick.
    I'm actually, very happy this was able to be a free open discussion with out no body getting TOO offended.
    Religion is a touchy subject so that's why I worried posting this,
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 08:12 PM
    HaHa
    Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 08:24 PM
    Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church

Mar 11, 2008, 08:26 PM
    Excuse my bluntness, but what was that link all about? I scrolled through it a bit and got a little confused...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Bible says that Everyone sins [ 70 Answers ]

It is a Christian point of view that everyone sins. Since sin is considered evil does that make everyone evil? Peace and kindness,:) :) :) Fred (arcura)

The seven deadly sins. [ 7 Answers ]

I'm doing a clay model of the seven deadly sins, and I'm going to make one body; each body part will represent one of the sins. Like, ill use a sloth's arm for Sloth, a pig's body for Gluttony, probably a man's head for Lust (Man is the most lustful creature I can think of) and so on. I'm having...

My past 'sins' are hauntng me [ 6 Answers ]

I'm 21 an been in a somewhat good relationship for about three years. We've been engadged for about most of the three years. In the past I wasn't a very good person. Due to all the hurt I was given by my parent's and ex's and even friends who I thought cared, it made me weak, mean and not a good...

View more questions Search