Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phoenirius Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2006, 04:14 PM
    Finding the inverse
    How would I solve algebraically to determine that the equation y=(x+2)^2+1 is equivalent to y=(x-2)^2+1? I keep coming up this the wrong thing.

Thanks
    reinsuranc Posts: 92, Reputation: 6

Jan 31, 2006, 09:05 PM
    These are not equivalent.

y=(x+2)^2+1
    =(x^2) + (4x) + 4 + 1
    =(x^2) + (4x) + 5.

y=(x-2)^2+1
    =(x^2) - (4x) + 4 + 1
    =(x^2) - (4x) + 5.
    phoenirius Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2006, 09:18 AM
    By equivalent I meant that the parabola of y=(x+2)^2+1 is the reflection of y=(x-2)^2+1 which means that it is its inverse, you can look on the graph and know what the equation of the reflected parabola is and you can check it and its right, I'm just having problems solving this as you would flipping the x and y to create an inverse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need help finding name of movie Please [ 21 Answers ]

Hi Ive been searching for this movie for years now and know one anywhere knows the name I only remember certain parts mainly the ending Ok here it goes The movie is about a kid that has been shot I think it was gang related and the cops are chaising him and he takes a guy hostage and tells him to...

I need help finding this movie [ 3 Answers ]

I remember watching a movie as a child that had live action with actors about a farm and a flood, as well as animation with chickens and some other animals this was a children's movie either in the early 90's or late 80s.

Finding people [ 4 Answers ]

Is there a website where if I input the name and email of a person , it will tell me the person's current address?

Finding out about scams [ 4 Answers ]

What is the page where you can find out if those notices you get that says don't open this or that is a scam or not?

View more questions Search