Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jforce Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 07:09 PM
    PEX unions
    Can these be installed improperly? I'm talking about the all plastic type that require no tools, but are just slipped on over the pipe o.d.

I bought one at Lowe's in the same aisle and location as the PEX tubing

When I installed it recently to fix a damaged (leak) 1/2" PB pipe, it leaked momentarily when I turned the water pressure back on, but has been dry since. About 3 days now.

Am I in for a rude awakening in the near future?

Certainly not comfortable with this PEX union over time, at constant pressure and temperature (this is a hot water line)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 07:16 PM
    The item you found is not PEX. PEX fitting are brass or copper and require a tool to compress the ring. I have seen several items like you describe one being a Sharkbite. PEX has pretty much replaced copper due to cost and when installed correctly PEX has a great success rate so allow your comfort level to relax.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 07:21 PM
    Hi Jforce... did your pex union look like this picture? If it did you should be all set if you made smooth cuts and tightened appropriately (I might give it another 1/4 turn myself.. )... It is not a pex fitting.

If does not look like this, well got to tell you there are so many different pex type manufacturers now... I can't tell you if you are OK. You would need to go to Lowe's and confirm that your coupling is specifically for PB (the one in the pic. Is a copper, cpvc, PB union). If you know your pex union was specific to PB pipe, then I bet you are fine.

Let me know what you think... Mark
    Attached Images

Mar 10, 2008, 07:31 PM
    Mark, I think the one you are posting is a WATTS brand fitting. Seen lots of new stuff since the price of cooper when sky high. You ever use Sharkbite, what do you think of them?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 07:39 PM
    I haven't used them Bob... But I have tried them in a supply house. Looks like it is going to be a very reliable fitting (jforce, see cross section pic). Super easy to release these, too... nice considering some of the helpers I have hired lately :rolleyes:

There are getting to be so many different fittings/pipe types... I may have to go back to school just to keep up... I swear! Talk soon... Mark
    Attached Images

Mar 10, 2008, 08:06 PM
    I just can't get over the cost of some of these fitting and the PEX tools are out of sight too. I am starting to use some of the WATTS stuff but even they are about $3 per fitting. I'd have to check the latest codes but I think they can't be used inside a closed wall cavity, right?

Mar 11, 2008, 03:51 AM
    Thanks for the answers gents. Its appreciated.

I paid about $4.50 for a 1/2" x 1/2" fitting.

The fitting I bought - yes I realize its not actually made of cross linked PE. It is made of a hard plastic, not flexible like the pipe. What I meant was these were being marketed and sold right next to the PEX pipe at Lowe's and these, along with reducers, tees, etc appeared to be "for PEX". I realize also that PEX normally uses a crimp fitting. My understanding was these can be used as well. Mine might have been a "WATTS" fitting. Yes Mark, it does look like the pic but mine are whitish colored. I believe I read "for PB, PEX, CPVC" on the wrapper. Principle is the same as the cross section in second pic. Thank you for the pics.

Again, these were highly recommended to me, but that first instant after applying pressure and seeing a bit of a leak and then seeing the thing seat (and then checking it each day for the last 3 days as it sits there above my new basement 1/2 bath drywall ceiling)... well that was a lot of work to have to do over.

I've half a mind to re-route the whole water line which I should have done in the first place. This water line is actually for my dishwasher above a new basement bath I installed. I could use 90s and re-route the line to the inside of the joist away from my new ceiling.

If you think that time, temp and pressure will not eventually push the end of the pipe (which is PB by the way) out of the fitting, then fine, I will leave it.

Another 1/4 turn? I think all I did was push it in, pull and then push again. I may have twisted it, but not sure now.

Thanks again.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 04:25 AM
    Jforce... just so many different kinds out there today... if it is the push on type (even if plastic).. I would bet you are fine (first pic. Of mine is more comression then slide on) Good luck.

Bob, yeah... I don't think they are allowed in the wall either... but I will double check and get back to you. Good day all!. Mark

Mar 11, 2008, 04:33 AM
    Mark, mine are the PUSH ON type with mechanism like the sharkbite fitting in your second pic but made of hard plastic, not metal

Yes, now that I look at it with my eyes a bit more open, your first pic is compression fitting.
    J
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 04:51 AM
    If it looks anything like that sharkbite fitting and everything seated properly (pushed in deep enough) and package said PB pipe as you said it did... then you are all set!! Good luck with all... Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Labor unions [ 6 Answers ]

Hello everybody I just started school not to long ago and I need a little help, if there is anyone that can help me I would gratefully appricaite it, thank you in advance. What kind of occupational complaints do service workers (clerical workers, insurance agents, mental health aides) have? Would...

Labor unions [ 2 Answers ]

Contrast the style of labor unions in the United States to that found in other countries.

Labour unions [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently studying labour unions, and I need to know some advantages and disadvantages of unions in general

View more questions Search