Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    myeasley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2006, 03:24 PM
    Joint custody/Child support
    Hello all,
    I live in CA and have been with my boyfriend for 3 years. His divorce was finalized 8/26/04 and his ex remarried 2 days later. Throughout all the court battles for custody, schooling, and child support he had to pay her $600 a month for alimony (they were only married 6 years) and $1250 a month for child support for 2 children who we have 13-14 days out of the month which is almost 50/50, but their mother doesn't work, she goes to school full time and has been for almost 4 years (says she wants to be a nurse). When everything was finalized we got the alimony dropped but he still pays the $1250 a month for child support. What I want to know is what are his rights of trying to get the payments lower, if any, since we have them just as much and she doesn't work, but is married and supported by someone else?
    Thank you so much for your help, this drives me crazy.
    M
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 31, 2006, 07:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by myeasley
    Hello all,
    I live in CA and have been with my boyfriend for 3 years. His divorce was finalized 8/26/04 and his ex remarried 2 days later. throughout all the court battles for custody, schooling, and child support he had to pay her $600 a month for alimony (they were only married 6 years) and $1250 a month for child support for 2 children who we have 13-14 days out of the month which is almost 50/50, but their mother doesn't work, she goes to school full time and has been for almost 4 years (says she wants to be a nurse). When everything was finalized we got the alimony dropped but he still pays the $1250 a month for child support. What I want to know is what are his rights of trying to get the payments lower, if any, since we have them just as much and she doesn't work, but is married and supported by someone else?
    Thank you so much for your help, this drives me crazy.
    M
    Depending on his income that is fairly low or at least average, my son pays 1000 a month child support for one child. A lot of it is income based at a rate the court believes proper.

He can see if his lawyer believes filing back into court now would work, or perhaps waiting a year. Do child custody is ever final, many times you will be back and forth in court till the children are 18. He can try, but if this has just been ruled on, most likely you will have to, or at least should wait a few months before trying
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2006, 07:22 AM
    Hi,
    I agree with the other answer of asking his lawyer's advice.
    Child support payments can be changed, but must be proven with a change in income, other things to consider also.
    Please ask the lawyer.
    I do wish you the very best; and as already stated, this will continue until usually the age of 18!
    alysonheather Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

May 15, 2007, 11:36 PM
    Hi. I'm not sure about California laws; however, AZ child support laws allow a parent to request modification of child support after one year if, based on the child support calculations, the new amount will be increased or decreased by 15%. The court will consider changes in salary/income of either parent, change of custody, changes in health insurance, obligation of either parent to support other children, unexpected medical/educational/child care costs, etc.

Not sure if this helps, but hope so!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paternity Test / Child Support / Custody [ 13 Answers ]

I got pregnant in January of 2005 by a guy I had been with for about 7 months. As soon as I said the word, he demanded I have an abortion and he was out the door. I couldn't go through with the abortion, and I had considered adoption but in the end I couldn't do that either. I had the baby 5 weeks...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Joint custody relocation [ 3 Answers ]

In CA, if parents have joint custody, can one parent move the child(ern) out of the country without permission of the other parent?

Joint custody [ 6 Answers ]

If parents are in high conflict and haven't spoken to each other since the mother was 4 or 5 months pregnant and the child is now 6 weeks old, will that keep the father from getting joint custody? The father refuses to talk with her and has a restraining order on her because she is verbally...

Joint custody costs [ 3 Answers ]

I am recently divorced. We have a 14 yr old daughter that wanted to go to the mall one Friday afternoon that they had a day off school. She comes to my house every weekend and on wednesdays. We have joint custody. She called me and asked if her and her 2 friends could go. When they had their...

View more questions Search