Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Mar 10, 2008, 04:46 PM
    Sleeping at night
    Peyton is now 2 weeks old. She still has her days and nights mixed up which means long nights for me. When she is awake at night she is fussy almost like she is fighting sleep. When she does finally fall asleep I will lay her down for her to wake up 15 to 20 minutes later and the process starts all over again. Sometimes I find it easier to just hold her so that she will sleep a little bit longer. Are there any tricks for me to try to help her sleep at night or to help her get her days and nights on track?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Are you breast feeding ?

And how many feedings are you giving her a night ?

The answer may lie in how content she is after feedings. You absolutely have to be available to her and realize she is only two weeks old, for her feeding schedule. Usually every three to six hours. Eventually she will catch on but you have to be patient, sleep when she does so you don't get stressed out. When you are anxious, stressed, she will be too so the better rested you are in these early days will benefit both of you.

Your spouse should be helping you too get some sleep and with the new baby and if you are breast feeding you can still supplement with a small bottle of formula which he can offer her to relieve you.
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Mar 11, 2008, 12:56 PM
    I am breastfeeding. I try to keep her on a 3 hour schedule during the day and whenever she seems hungry at night I feed her. My husband helps as much as possible. I don't want to supplement with a bottle until breastfeeding has been well established.
    I just didn't know if there were any special tricks to helping these little ones get things figured out or to helping them fall asleep. She fights her sleep with everything she has got at night.
    Every now and then she has a good night. Lucky for me last night was a good one. I will see how tonight goes.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2008, 07:09 PM
    Watch for hunger cues and feed her more often in the day if need be. You may want to wake her after 2 hours during the day... or sooner, if you are still trying to establish breastfeeding and build your supply. If you notice her thrusting her tongue out, lip smacking, sucking on her fists, becoming a bit more animated, these are often hunger cues. Crying it the last one! If you aren't already, many new babies do well with being swaddled at night... quite snuggly and with some background noise... could be white noise, womb sounds, etc.
    If you are comfortable with it, maybe consider a co-sleeper. There are ones that go on your bed and ones that attach to the side. Many breastfeeding mothers find they and baby sleep better, or get more rest, when baby is close by.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sleeping through the night [ 1 Answers ]

My one year old german shorthaired pointer won't sleep through the night. He would scratch on his kennel door and want out. I moved his kennel out of our room and set up a bed on the floor next to ours about 3 weeks ago. He still wakes up at 4:00 to 5:00 every morning and sometimes in the...

Dog not sleeping at night [ 1 Answers ]

My dog every night acts like there is really bad thunder storm. Trying to get in bed with you and sleeping on your head, heavy panting and when we lock him out of the bedrooms he urinates. He gets extremely restless. Can't sit still. So even if you let him on your bed, he moves all the time. About...

Sleeping through the night? [ 2 Answers ]

Duncan is doing very well- almost 14 weeks and getting bigger by the second. The question is, he doesn't always sleep through the night. He was getting up in the middle of the night every night at first, now it's more like every other night or 3-4 times per week. We are just wondering when it is...

Sleeping through the night [ 1 Answers ]

OK my son is now 5 ina half months old and does not sleep through the night instead he wakes up EVERY hour sometimes every half hour and its been like this for a long while about 3 months and its taking its toll on me being a single mother going to school full time. Am asking for anyway that you...

Sleeping through the night [ 7 Answers ]

Ok friends, here's another question for you. Is it normal for a two year old to not be sleeping through the night? My son has basically never slept through the night. There will be an occasional night that he does, but for the most part, he wakes up several times a night. I am tempted to just let...

View more questions Search