Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpbarlow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2006, 02:39 PM
    Gas forced air heater won't turn heat on
    My honeywell thermostat electric, shows "filter" change light blinking and won't turn on the heater when turned up.
    The thermostat will 'click' when temp turned up and I can manually turn on the fan but no fire in the heater.
    The thermostat is 1 year old, filter changed
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2006, 03:12 PM
    If you know the model number for the Honeywell unit, you may find some help on their website, there they tell you where to find your model number on the unit. Beyond this, the Honeywell site is terrible, most likely you will not be able to find your unit listed. Funny how Honeywell sells thermostats in Lowe, Home Depot now, but do not acknowledge their own part numbers.

The stat usually is timed to tel you when the filter needs changing or cleaning, it is not smart enough to actually know if the filter is dirty.

There may be some sort of reset button on the stat inside, to reset the clock for the filter timer. Look closely at the electronic circuit board or all around the stat looking for a place you can push in with a paper clip or a pencil point.

If you find the stat model number, usually stamped on the inside cover, get back here with it so we can try to find it on the Honeywell site, or you can can call Honeywell directly , I hear thou they are not much help there either.

Shame, Honeywell is an old well known company, sorry to see their customer support to be so poor.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2006, 03:22 PM
    Need a lot more details. I am not familiar with a system that the thermostat indicates the filter needs changed. Is it possible it is indicating the cover is ajar? Maybe recheck it. I am afraid you are going to have to pick through any instructions you have to figure this one out. It is possible you need to do some sort of a reset when you change the filter. Cutting power and turning it back on may help.

Model numbers won't help me much. You need to figure out how the thing works.

The system may be too complicated for any body here to help. This isn't AMHD's strongest forum.
    handihelp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2009, 05:15 PM

I've had the same problem (not filter, but heat not coming on). I have gone up in the attic and removed the front panel. Inside is a cutoff switch that won't allow the fan to come on if the panel is off. When I push the switch in it will come on. I've put some tape and cardboard on the panel to make sure it is pushed in all the way when the panel is replaced. Seems to have done the trick. Don't know if something might be wrong with the switch.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 10:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman View Post
    This isn't AMHD's strongest forum.
    HEY! Some of us take that sort of talk personally! :D Where else would you turn with a HVAC problem? Who's going to take better care of you (or at least talk you down from the ledge)? :p
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 10:24 PM
    Well, you made that statement back in '06, before I joined AMHD... so I'll let it slide this time, but I got my eye on you... ;)
    askmenw Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2010, 03:58 PM

You could try restarting your breakers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heater will heat, but fan will not turn off [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I have a big problem that is killing me. I have a central Heat and AC unit that works well, but the fan won't seem to turn off. The AC and Heat works well, but the fan just keeps on running. I was gone for 3 months for ARMY business and my wife did not know that this was not working right,...

Help heat won't turn off [ 3 Answers ]

My wife had our ac set on 78, well it has gotten pretty cold here lately so today while I was gone she turned the heat on. Now 6 hours later I had to turn off the power for it on the breaker to get the heat to turn off. The furnace was set on 73, but when I got home the thermostat was sitting at...

Help... The heat won't turn off! [ 1 Answers ]

Just wondering if any one could help before I dish out $$ to fix it. I'm hoping its something hubby can fix. We have to thermostats (1up stairs and 1 down). 1 AC unit. The heat is working just fine downstairs. Problem: The upstairs heat won't turn off. I turned the thermostate off. I...

Forced air heater [ 1 Answers ]

Blows 3 amp fuse. After fuse blows fan comes on. Ignitor works prior to fuse blowing but no gas. One resistor on board appears to have black mark.

How can I make Furnace fan automatically turn off when heater turns off? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Thermo Pride OH5-85. There are two manual switches installed next to the unit. One turns on the heater one the fan. I'm unable to find out how to have the heater and fan respond to my thermostat. :confused: Currently if the manual fan switch is on and the manual heater switch is on...

View more questions Search