Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 02:50 PM
    Art tips-Acrylics
    "To get the medium's magic to work for one's aims rather than against them is to attain literacy."(Alan Kay)

Hello to all my art friends on the Desk and the new ones who maybe joining us in the future.

Please do share your tips and works in acrylics on this thread.
    This way we can have a reference thread for each medium.

http://www.how-to-draw-and-paint.com...ic_paints.html
    Here is something to get you started on Acrylics.

Thank you in advance for your contributions.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2008, 02:33 AM
    It would be good to have individual threads devoted to certain types of mediums in the visual arts, firmbeliever. Thank you for starting this thread!
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2008, 10:19 AM
    Thank you for your support Clough.

I found this interesting tip...
    ------------------------
    Acrylic Painting Techniques For Beginners - studmedportalen.com id37803
    Using a Squeegee

A regular squeegee that you can purchase at any hardware or auto store can create some interesting effects when used with acrylic paint. First you would squeeze out some paint blobs directly along one edge of your support. You can layout whatever colors you wish. Then with one fluid motion you would drag the paint across the support with your squeegee, which will smear and mix the paint and create some unique and interesting designs. You may need to alter your squeegee a bit as the rubber blade that comes with most squeegees may not be rigid enough to drag the paint. You can remove the rubber blade and in its place glue in a regular wooden ruler. This will give you a flat sturdy edge to manipulate the paint.
    -------------------------------------
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2008, 12:58 PM
    Best advice when working with Acrylics... WORK FAST! LOL

If an artist is use to working in oils, they sometimes find it difficult to work in acrylics because they drying time is so fast. You can add a product to the paint to extend the drying time. I work fast so the drying time to me is a plus. For those whose technique requires lots of time in blending the paints in large areas, Acrylics might take a bit of time to get use to.

Clean up is easy, colors are bright and seem true. There are so many types of acrylics to choose from, glossies to use on glass such as plates, glasses, window panes, standard craft paint in 2 oz. bottles with texture ready to use, tube paints to give thicker coverage but can be thinned as needed, these are great for working on canvas. There are some acrylics that are more translucent. Such a variety... very enjoyable medium in which to work!
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2008, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    "To get the medium's magic to work for one's aims rather than against them is to attain literacy."(Alan Kay)

Hello to all my art friends on the Desk and the new ones who maybe joining us in the future.

Please do share your tips and works in acrylics on this thread.
    This way we can have a reference thread for each medium.

Guide to Using Acrylic Paints
    Here is something to get you started on Acrylics.

Thank you in advance for your contributions.
    Actually, before posting my previous post, I should have read the link in your original post. It touches on almost everything one would need to know about Acrylics. Great Link Firmy!
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2008, 01:16 PM
    Thanks Jan for the tips.
    And you should continue to post your tips here as sometimes it is easier to read them on the thread than upload a link and read through them.:)

Hope to see more tips sometime.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is art to you? [ 6 Answers ]

Yup! What's art to you? This idea was spiked by Deidara and Sasori of Akatsuki, Naruto. So... this is kind of like a poll. Is art fleeting or eternal? Or maybe... it's both!

How to prepare acrylics, etc before painting. [ 13 Answers ]

When all the painting shows were on TV, I starting painting with oils. I wasn't too bad, but not great. Now I would like to start again using acrylic paints. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to prepare the paint and the surface of the canvas or other surfaces? The only thing I can do from...

Art [ 1 Answers ]

Sorry, But I miss typed the initials on my question. It should have been SZL. My etching are done by artist "Charlot". There is one "T" in Charlot. I have two, titles are ON THE HILL and IN AVEYRON, FRANCE. They are house scene. Appreciate any help on value and any other information. ...

Art [ 7 Answers ]

Where can I get some good colored pensils?

View more questions Search