mattyuk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2006, 01:51 PM
    Sata problems
    I just bought a new computer system:

sapphire pure crossfire advantage mobo
    AMD athlon 3800+ skt939
    radeon X850XT PE
    Maxtor 250gb sata hdd

The problem I am having is that I can't install windows onto the sats hdd. When I get to the windows XP install screen it says that "windows cannot be installed because no harddrive was found". I can't seem to fix it and in the bios for some reason the sata hdd is seen as a SCSI drive (this is in the boot-up priority screen). When it is under the IDE controller it is fine and windows can be installed onto it but it is only showing 131gb (119gb less then it actually is) and under the raid controller it is not seen at all. Can anybody help me with this?

Cheers, mattyuk.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Jan 31, 2006, 03:17 PM
    Check the system BIOS to make sure that SATA is enabled. I've notice it is often disabled by default.

Jan 31, 2006, 04:29 PM
    I can't find the "SATA Enable" setting anywhere in the bios.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jan 31, 2006, 08:14 PM
    mattyuk,

There are several things that you need to do/check. Make sure that your MB BIOS is up to date. The latest for your board I believe is Nov 2005. Check the Sapphire support for your latest BIOS and also download all the drivers they have on their site because you will need them during the setup especially the ATI SATA drivers. Here's the site:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/support/drivers.php (choose your MB)
    http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/driverfiles/78.pdf (your MB Manual)

Then what you'll need to do is:

- Prepare a floppy with the SATA drivers.
    - Configure your BIOS for RAID (see the manual above for details)
    -- You need to enable "OnChip SATA Controller (Both)"
    -- You need to set "OnChip SATA Type" to IDE if you have one Drive or RAID if you have more than 1 SATA HDD.
    - Boot Priority should NOT be SCSI. You should boot from the first Hard drive. Once you configure your OnChip SATA type you should see the new drive in the boot priority section.

- Now stick the floppy with the ATI SATA files on it (you'll have to unzip what you download from the sapphire website onto this floppy).
    - Stick the Windows XP CD and power on.
    - When you see the F6 at the bottom PRESS IT QUICK :). It only lasts for a few seconds so if you miss it then you'll need to reboot again. This step will allow Windows to read the SATA drivers for your controller so that Windows can see the drive (this is why you couldn't see the drive before).

Then the rest should be standard once you actually do read the new drivers for your hard drive and you should be familiar with the rest of the install (i.e. normal Windows install at that point).

Good luck.

Casey

Feb 1, 2006, 05:44 AM
    It won't let me install the drivers from the floppy, it says that there are no support files on it. Also when I set the controller to IDE windows sees it as a driver but not as 250gb but as 131gb, and when I try to install windows on it it just locks up. I got to be doing something wrong (I never use to have this trouble with IDE HDD) :(
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 1, 2006, 07:03 AM
    Go back to where you bought the machine and get their help. Sounds like things were not setup properly
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Feb 1, 2006, 04:10 PM
    Did you unzip the downloaded ATI SATA drivers to the floppy or did you just copy the zip file to the floppy? The drivers if unzipped properly to the floppy should work with the F6 Method. Also, just to make sure we're both looking at the same file which one was it that you downloaded?

Another thing to try is the floppy that came with your Motherboard (if should have come with one).

Casey

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SATA Drive only shows 127gb out of 250 gb [ 11 Answers ]

I just purchased a seagate 7200 rpm 250 gb hard drive. When I go to <START>,<MY COMPUTER>,<LOCAL DISK> and check the properties of my hard drive it says 127 GB. I went to the seagate website and I have tried everything they suggested but it still shows 127 GB. I did not make another partition...

Sata cannot boot when IDE is present [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I have a problem with my new sata HDD. I install the winxp sp2 into the sata (with F6 etc for the raid). Everything are working normaly, but when I'm trying to install an ide HDD the sata is not appearing and is trying to boot from the ide. The bios doesn't see at all the sata hdd. My...

Sata Drive won't work [ 10 Answers ]

I can't get my Western Digital 200 gig sata to work, I have an Asus A7n8X-E Deluxe Mobo, which has 2 sata connectors on board, the manual is of no use. I want this Drive as a backup to my main IDE drive or which I have 2 on IDE. I try pluggin the Sata into both connectors, it won't get...

300gb Sata Hd Crash! Please God Help Me [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 300GB SATA hard drive that I have about 150 GB worth of data on. It is not my primary drive, I am running xp pro on a SATA 75GB raptor. Today while trying to access some files on the 300gb drive a folder suddenly showed empty. It didn't make any sense and quickly thereafter my computer...

Sata Raid [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Looking for a laymans explanation of SATA RAID and why it would be good to have in a Hi end DAW PC. Thanks Stu

View more questions Search