Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cemhunter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 02:19 PM
    Painting pressure treated plywood
    I have a 15 ft. alum. Boat.. I have to replace some of the plywood.. I was going to use pressure treated... can you paint PT. wood? Or should I use standard plywood?
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 10, 2008, 02:56 PM
    Marine grade plywood would be best. Painting PT wood is tough because it has a high moisture content.
    Paul V Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2008, 12:35 PM
    I can't speak about the moisture content issue, but unless you're concerned about termite damage, I can't think of any reason to use pressure-treated plywood/lumber in a boat. Pressure-treating refers to saturating the wood with chemicals that make the wood unappetizing to termites and doing so under high pressure to get the chemicals to soak in deeper than they would under normal atmospheric pressure. The sole reason for using pressure-treated lumber in construction is for this termite-resistance property, not rot-resistance. Since most termites come up from the ground, PT lumber is used for building areas contacting the ground (like soleplates), but not above that point.

Best to follow Amricca's advice and use marine-grade plywood. You'll be happier in the long run.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Painting treated wood [ 7 Answers ]

How long do I need to wait before painting treated wood?

Painting Treated Lumber [ 2 Answers ]

How long should you wait before you paint or stain treated lumber??

Another pressure treated question [ 2 Answers ]

How soon can I paint the wood?I'm buying it either from Lowe's or home depot where the wood is kept indoors.. thanks

Pressure treated wood [ 1 Answers ]

I have been reading up on the toxicity of pressure treated wood, and am aware of it's dangers, I recently had a deck built with the "new" PT wood and am concerned. 1. How toxic is the new material to touch? 2. Should this be replaced with redwood, and in fact only used for non-human contact...

Painting Pressure Treated wood [ 3 Answers ]

Can pressure treated lumber be primed and painted as normal wood would?

View more questions Search