Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eagle20041 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 01:49 PM
    1/2 wall to cement floor
    I am putting a 1/2 wall in my family room. The slab is 34 years old (very very hard cement). Someone told me to use gorilla glue. Not sure about how well that would work. Looking for some more ideas. Also, this half wall is going up 3 foot and out 6 foot. (not to ceiling or other side of room) How can I make it sturdy at the free end?

Thanks!
    Eagle
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 10, 2008, 02:06 PM
    Use a hammer drill and concrete screws to secure the bottom plate of the wall to the concrete. Space the screws about 10 to 12 inches apart as you work your way down the bottom plate. You'll probably have to drill pilot holes first.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 03:10 PM
    Do not listen to the advice coming from the Gorilla glue person. Amricca is going in the right direction. There are adhesives that will help but you need a hard anchor like the screws or even a Remington nail gun along with the adhesive. In our area you never lay white lumber on concrete, go with pressue treated.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Mar 11, 2008, 06:51 PM
    I agree with ballengerb1 in using the screws and adhesive, the reminton gun works great but on cured contrete I personally haven't had much luck. I would use tapcoms or redheads to anch it down to the floor. Also building this half wall out of a 2x6s will make it much sturdier.

gorilla glue is for wood to wood

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower on cement floor [ 5 Answers ]

I want to add a shower to our basement, the plumbing is not there. How do I put the shower plumbing in? Do I have to cut into the main pipe for the shower? Do I have to cut into the cement, or can the plumbing be installed above the cement? Thanks

How to support a load bearing wall, need engineer, cement wall [ 3 Answers ]

I want to remove about 6 feet from an interior wall. The rafters run parallel with the wall but the reason I think it's load-bearing is because one of the trusses rests on the middle of the wall with a lateral x across it. I have existing pictures and a drawing of "the existing" and what is...

Level a cement floor [ 2 Answers ]

I have a very large garage and plan to enclose the back portion. The area will be roughly 400sq ft (16 x 25). The problem is there is a 3 inch slope from the back to the front of the area. The surface is smooth concrete with no cracks. I live in FL so there is no freezing. What is the best...

Leak under cement floor [ 4 Answers ]

I am a American missionary in the Philippines. In my house I have a major leak and I don't know where. I don't want to tear up all my floors looking for it. Is there a way to seal the leak like the radiator leak stuff? I read about a company called Sleuth that locates slab leaks that we use, but...

Painting on a cement wall [ 1 Answers ]

I'm an artist with a job to do a painting on an exterior cement wall and I want to make sure I use the right paint. It was previously painted and is in decent shape. I could use cement paint, but it doesn't come in all the colors I need. Can I use cement paint for the first coat, and then...

View more questions Search