Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fredjim Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 12:12 PM
    Septic system
    I purchased a house Sept, 07 and lately, I am having trouble with my septic system.
    The house is three levels with a toilet on each level.
    Lately I have noticed that the water in the lower level toilet is bubbling when the washer on the second level is pumping water. If a toilet is flushed at the same time, the lower level toilet will fill to overflow. Otherwise when I flush the toilet alone, it works OK.
    I have contacted a septic removal company and they are due next week.
    Any ideas as to the cause of this problem and how do I manage for a week?
    razor96 Posts: 87, Reputation: 8

Mar 10, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Sounds like you are starting to back -up, I would get the company to inspect the bed first and if is not full, then you probably have something stuck in the lines or in the vent stack.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 10, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Any ideas as to the cause of this problem and how do I manage for a week?
    Several things would cause the condition you describe. 1) And most likely is that the septic tank is filled due to the drain field being overloaded and can not disperse a large discharge such as a washer but can disperse a small amount of water such as a flush. **OR** 2) you have a partial blockage in the system before it gets to the septic tank that's blocking the flow. My bet's on door#1. Good luck, Tom
    Farmerjohn692000 Posts: 63, Reputation: 8

Mar 10, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Well you could have one of two problems. Maybe your tank is full, I'm sure there is a cap somewhere you can check the level. OR the vent is plugged up. It sounds like the vent may be plugged somewhere between the lowest toilet and one of the upper ones if the lower one is bubbling air. That means there is no place for the air to go so it going the most quick way or wherever the least resistance is. Look around, in your vent stack there should be cleanouts. You may be able to take a gander in these and maybe solve your troubles. And if you get your septic pumped make sure you use bacteria like rid x once a month this will help keep solid waste to a minimum. Hope I could help you
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 12:56 PM
    Actually you only need to add bacteria if you feel prone to making others richer. Believe me, there is plenty of bacteria in what you flusdh down your toilet. Avoid heavy laundry soaps and anti bacterial soaps if you can. Grandpa used to flush dead mice down the toilet and we kids always thought it was something to do with adding bacteria. Once grandma was gone he admitted that he just didn't want to hear her screaming any more. Poop is all you need.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 10, 2008, 03:08 PM
    if you get your septic pumped make sure you use bacteria like rid x once a month this will help keep solid waste to a minimum.
    Farmerjohn, looks like you're out of gas. Bob's correct you don't need starters in your septic tank. A "starter" is not needed for bacterial action to begin in a septic tank. Many bacteria are present in the materials deposited into the tank and will thrive under the growth conditions present.
    If you feel that an additive is needed, be aware that some may do great harm. Additives that advertise to "eliminate" tank cleaning may cause the sludge layer to fluff up and be washed out into the drainfield, plugging soil pores. Some additives, particularly degreasers, may contain carcinogens (cancer-causing) or suspected carcinogens that will flow into the ground water along with the water from the soil treatment unit.
    Maybe your tank is full,
    You just repeated my earlier post.
    it sounds like the vent may be plugged
    A plugged vent doesn't produce "bubbles" in your toilet, it will produce "gurgles" in a fixture trap. So Gee Farmer! Perhaps you should stick to farming and leave the plumbing to the pros. Have a great day. Tom
    Farmerjohn692000 Posts: 63, Reputation: 8

Mar 10, 2008, 04:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Farmerjohn, looks like you're outta gas. Bob's correct you don't need starters in your septic tank. A "starter" is not needed for bacterial action to begin in a septic tank. Many bacteria are present in the materials deposited into the tank and will thrive under the growth conditions present.
    If you feel that an additive is needed, be aware that some may do great harm. Additives that advertise to "eliminate" tank cleaning may cause the sludge layer to fluff up and be washed out into the drainfield, plugging soil pores. Some additives, particularly degreasers, may contain carcinogens (cancer-causing) or suspected carcinogens that will flow into the ground water along with the water from the soil treatment unit.
    You just repeated my earlier post.
    A plugged vent doesn't produce "bubbles" in your toilet, it will produce "gurgles" in a fixture trap. So Gee Farmer! Perhaps you should stick to farming and leave the plumbing to the pros. Have a great day. Tom
    Look pal I was just trying to give some advice, nowhere in my suggestion did I say I was a genius, or a plumber! I didn't post my message to get some smart mouth comment from a douche! Now you have a good day!!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 07:00 PM
    Fredjim, save your money and don't bother with the Septo-bac. If you really need some bacteria I can send you grandpa's dead mic e now that grandma is gone. Do you know how large your tank is and how many folks in your household? You bought in 07 but do you know when the field and tank were put in? Usually there is not cap but if you know where the lid is you can dig down about 2' and find the concrete plug with a steel ring in it. It may be a two man job but lift that plug, the water level should be about 10" below the top of the tank. If its any higher I think you are in for bad news when your contractor finishes his inspection. However, if the level is 10" down then maybe we can help clean out your clog. The are clean out in drain pipes onlt and usually right before the pipe leaves the house. Standing water at the clean out means the plug is downstream toward the tank. A dry clean out means the clog is up stream somewhere in the house. We'll find it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vinegar in the septic system [ 21 Answers ]

A friend of mine uses vinegar as a natural way to deordorize and clean. She is concerned that too much vinegar in her septic systen will affact it's ability to breakdown waste material. Will vinegar adversely affect her septic system?

Septic system troubleshooting [ 1 Answers ]

Hey Guys, I'd just like to start by saying that I did do a search, and didn't find anything that directly answered the question I have. Here goes, My dad passed 6 months ago and I'm the "man of the house" (barely)... ha. Anyway, we live in the country and have a septic pump that ...

Septic System [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Our house, located in central New York State, has a 1,000 gallon septic tank. The tank was cleaned last fall. There are only two people living in the house and we have had few visitors. Today, I noticed that the area where the tank discharges to the leach field is soggy and the grass is...

Septic system [ 5 Answers ]

How do you tell if a septic system is dead. And if so How do you correct the problem?

Septic system [ 1 Answers ]

My system is 2 1/2 years old. The year of install we had major amounts of rain. This past year was a dry one all summer. My soil was graded moderate and I have 750 feet of leach. According to the sanitation dept. we have low usage for water. We also stopped washing on the same day. Ever since the...

View more questions Search