Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mamenell Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2006, 11:42 AM
    Wife is restricting visitation
    My wife is from Indonesia and has permanent residence status here in the US. In January 2005, she left with our son and went back to Indonesia. She came back to the US in August 2005. She allowed me to have visitation on weekends during Sept. Oct. and Nov. I filed for divorce in Dec. 2005. Now she is saying that I need to have supervised visitation. My lawyer keeps saying that the more difficult she is now the better off it will be later. However pretrial is still 3 or 4 months away and I would like to spend time with my son. Is there anything that can be done to grant me visitation rights? She is also threatening to leave the country again even though there is a court order against taking him out of the state of Iowa.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2006, 04:04 PM
    Sometimes posts confuses me.

This is one of those times.

Why not ask your lawyer what to do now? Do you not have a lawyer who is experienced in this sort of thing?

You still have custody over your child, so go pick up your child and spend time with him.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 31, 2006, 06:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mamenell
    My wife is from Indonesia and has permanent residence status here in the US. In January 2005, she left with our son and went back to Indonesia. She came back to the US in August 2005. She allowed me to have visitation on weekends during Sept., Oct., and Nov. I filed for divorce in Dec. 2005. Now she is saying that I need to have supervised visitation. My lawyer keeps saying that the more difficult she is now the better off it will be later. However pretrial is still 3 or 4 months away and I would like to spend time with my son. Is there anything that can be done to grant me visitation rights? She is also threatening to leave the country again even though there is a court order against taking him out of the state of Iowa.

Talk to your attorney, they can file for temporay visitation rights, also see if they will hold her visa or passport of the child because of flight risk.

But unless the court requires her to allow visiation there is no way to force her, and even with a court order, they can only take her back to court for refusing and hope the judge will find her in contempt.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 31, 2006, 06:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    Sometimes posts confuses me.

This is one of those times.

Why not ask your lawyer what to do now? Do you not have a lawyer who is experienced in this sort of thing?

You still have custody over your child, so go pick up your child and spend time with him.

Yes talk to the lawyer, that is what they are paid for.

On the child, does not work that easy, wife physcilly has child, you go to her house to pick child up, she calls police and they make you leave, or arrest you if you have been loud and distrubing.

If the court has not ruled on anyone having temp custody, if he gets the child, he would not have to give the child back, this is what she may be afraid of, or merely like too many parents using the child as a weapon to hurt the other party

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

X-wife in defalt of divorce agreement and visitation [ 3 Answers ]

my fiance's x-wife has moved back and forth from miami to orlando fl. Several times over the last 2 years with their now 9 year old daughter. My fiancé has not spoken to or seen his daughter know for 3 months. He is supposed to have visitation according to the divorce agreement with his daughter...

Supervised Visitation [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I share joint guardianship (with another grandparent who hasn't been involved for 7 mths) of our two grandchildren. We located their father and have allowed him to have visits with them. Two weeks ago during their visit we were called by the children pleading to pick them up. Their...

Visitation [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my ex boyfriend (not married) have a three year old son and we went to court in June 2005 and he was granted every other weekend visitation. From July 2005 to September 2005 he did only 4 visitations out of 21 visitation if he would have continued intil April 2006 and I am taking him back...

Visitation [ 3 Answers ]

My friend was suppose to pick up his child for the second go round of visitation. He called the moms home 5 hours in advance to make sure she didn't say she forgot or bring up any other lame excuse. Well when he called her dad answered the phone and said he would call her at work. Well the pick up...

Visitation [ 1 Answers ]

My friend just got visitation ordered through the courts for his son he haven't seen in a year. My question is if the mother of the child doesn't show up at the place ordered by the courts what can he do? They also have mutual restraining orders on each other(No harassing, can't come to each...

View more questions Search