Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stor-All Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 10:21 AM
    Live in MA, Student in NY: Full-Time/Part-time/Non-Resident?
    Hi-
    I am a 21 year old student attending a college in New York. Last summer (2007) I stayed on campus - as opposed to coming home and living with my parents in Massachusetts - and worked/earned an income through the school. However, the previous winter break, which ended in middle-January 2007, I did live at home and worked in Massachusetts. Which state tax forms should I be filing? NY Non-resident, or part-time resident? MA part-time resident or full-time resident?
    Thanks very much.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 12:34 PM
    You are a full-time resident of Massachusetts and, by law, a non-resident of New York.

However, you still have to file a NY state income tax return and pay taxes on income earned while in NY state.

Massachusetts will also tax that NY state income, but they will give you a credit for the taxes paid to NY state to avoid double taxation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Part Time / Full Time / Non - Resident - need clarification on this [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian Citizen. I came to US on L1 Visa on 20th October, 2007. I am trying to file the tax return through File Taxes Online - Do Taxes FREE - File Taxes With TaxACT. There is a question : "Whether you are a part time resident / Full Time Resident or Non-Resident". I am not sure...

Live part-time NYC and work full-time and live part-timein Long Island am I NYC resi [ 1 Answers ]

For all of 2007, I lived and worked in Suffolk County four days per week, and I lived in the Bronx three days per week (not working during those three days). My employer generated my w-2 form with non-resident status based on my working and living in Suffolk County for my emploment. My question is,...

Full or part time resident of New York City? [ 2 Answers ]

I have maintained (and continue to maintain) my permanent residence in New Jersey for the last twenty years. I rented an apartment in New York City in April 2006. I work the great majority of my time in NYC. I stayed over night in New York City approximately 90 times in 2006. Am I a resident...

Part Time Versus Full Time [ 1 Answers ]

Where is the line for part time employment versus full time employment in Georgia. I can't find it anywhere!

Part time or full time resident? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student in PA and spent about 3 months in New York during the summer for an internship. Since my primary domicile was still in PA (since I had to return for the next year of classes), am I a resident of PA for the full year or a part year resident? Likewise when I file state tax...

View more questions Search