Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Mar 10, 2008, 03:02 AM
    Where did "God" come from? (2)
    Note : this is NOT a `bait´ question.
    Please read my argument thoughtfully and respond to my position if you want, based on the argument of my question, and not based on your feelings about my question.
    Where did "God" come from?
    The origins of "God" seems to be a repeating feature in many questions and answers on this board.
    If you BELIEVE that "God" always existed, than SAY SO, i.e. : say `I believe that "God" always existed´ instead of `"God" always existed´. I have no problem with whatever you BELIEVE. Please feel free to believe whatever you like to believe!
    But I do have a problem with an unsupported claim as `"God" exists´ or `"God" always existed´, unless you can provide supporting positive and objective evidence for that claim. So far nobody has ever provided that.
    As far as science is concerned : NOTHING exists FOREVER or existed ALWAYS. There is a start and an end to everything. Again : if you disagree with that view please provide supporting positive and objective evidence for the claim.
    I look forward to your reply/replies!
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 04:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    As far as science is concerned : NOTHING exists FOREVER or existed ALWAYS. There is a start and an end to everything. Again : if you disagree with that view please provide supporting positive and objective evidence for the claim.
    Science states that energy is always conserved. It cannot be created or destroyed. This is such an elementry fact in science that I'm worried about why you believe differently.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Mar 10, 2008, 12:47 PM
    I pose you a counter-question which is just a valid as your original. If you do not believe in God, just say so, but if you make it a statement of fact, then offer your proof, not your BELIEF. You will have more difficulty proving your belief than I will have proving mine.
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1
    I pose you a counter-question which is just a valid as your original. If you do not believe in God, just say so, but if you make it a statement of fact, then offer your proof, not your BELIEF. You will have more difficulty proving your belief than I will have proving mine.
    You'll have to prove that all the other gods don't exist too.

Mar 10, 2008, 01:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    You'll have to prove that all the other gods don't exist too.
    Not sure I get your point. Is this for me to address, or Creden?
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Not sure I get your point. Is this for me to address, or Creden?
    Well, you are also an atheist - just that I believe in one less God than you.
    ineedhelpfast Posts: 101, Reputation: 7

Mar 10, 2008, 09:39 PM
    I think that most people who have written god off because they feel he let them down in the past. There are many evidences to be found that god exists, for those who are willing to look. And yes I believe that god exists.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 09:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ineedhelpfast
    i think that most people who have written god off because they feel he let them down in the past.
    No. Someone that I don't feel exists could never let me down. I don't believe in him because to me its inconcievable. Simple.
    Chrissyg89 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 09:48 PM
    I believe that gods were first created, honestly, to instil fear and order to an otherwise orderless society i.e. egyptian gods and so forth. Later as we grew in philosophy, I believe, that it became almost needed to give meaning to life and death, and a need for knowing that when we die we still exist somewhere. In ALL religions god, or gods, create places or situations ( Like reincarnation) that appeal to the believers. And still today religion and "god" is used to instill order.

Mar 11, 2008, 05:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Well, you are also an atheist - just that I believe in one less God than you.
    That comment makes about as much sense as a screen door in a submarine!
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 05:52 PM
    That comment makes about as much sense as a screen door in a submarine!
    No it doesn't. It is a perfectly reasonable statement. Why don't you understand it?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 05:58 PM
    Please read my argument thoughtfully and respond to my position if you want, based on the argument of my question, and not based on your feelings about my question.
    The origins of "God" seems to be a repeating feature in many questions and answers on this board.
    If you BELIEVE that "God" always existed, than SAY SO, i.e. : say `I believe that "God" always existed´ instead of `"God" always existed´. I have no problem with whatever you BELIEVE. Please feel free to believe whatever you like to believe!
    But I do have a problem with an unsupported claim as `"God" exists´ or `"God" always existed´, unless you can provide supporting positive and objective evidence for that claim. So far nobody has ever provided that.
    I believe that God always existed. That is my belief. As far as where did God come from? Can not answer that. Do not know.

As far as science goes. What I have learned and been taught by science is that nothing gets destroyed but changed. I disagree with nothing exists forever. Energy, atoms , etc... All has cycles. Example water. Never ending cycle of changing. I believe that is what happens to all of us.

Hope you enjoy my reply.

Joe
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 06:03 PM
    Glad man created the "rules" of science, and often find them flawed over a period of years. Man KNEW he could not fly, then he was able to. Man KNEW he could not go to the moon and so on.

So what man thinks he knows of science means nothing, it is the fact that God does exist, if he wants to tell you where he came from, he can, if he does not care to tell us, who are we to challenge him in this.

And Since God is beyond science and mans rules of life and nature, as he tells us, all of mans wisdon is folly.

So no God does not have to fit your mold or anyone's mold, he only has to be, And you have to either accept him or not, if you don't, then you will live ( or die) with that judgement it brings on you.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 06:45 PM
    "God" came from man as a way to explain what he does not understand. It also provides people with a confidant, a scapegoat, but most importantly, hope.

Many people do insert the qualifier that what they say is their belief. Even those who say "It's a FACT!" will relent and admit one must have "faith". That's the same thing as saying "I believe....".

Again, this is where theists claim "faith". Some will claim evidence of being pulled out of a horrible point in their life, being "shown the way" or whatever, but what it all comes down to is faith. You either have it or you don't. A majority of theists understand "god" cannot be proven in a lab, cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt to everyone - that's why faith exists. The impression I've gotten from many theists is that they wouldn't want "god" to be proven in a lab, because that means "god" is bound by earthly measures; it's all about faith (if I'm wrong, theists, feel free to correct me, I'm making an assumption here).

That just shows you don't know much about science, but that's been addressed in previous posts...

Mar 12, 2008, 09:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    "God" came from man as a way to explain what he does not understand. It also provides people with a confidant, a scapegoat, but most importantly, hope.

Many people do insert the qualifier that what they say is their belief. Even those who say "It's a FACT!" will relent and admit one must have "faith". That's the same thing as saying "I believe....".

Again, this is where theists claim "faith". Some will claim evidence of being pulled out of a horrible point in their life, being "shown the way" or whatever, but what it all comes down to is faith. You either have it or you don't. A majority of theists understand "god" cannot be proven in a lab, cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt to everyone - that's why faith exists. The impression I've gotten from many theists is that they wouldn't want "god" to be proven in a lab, because that means "god" is bound by earthly measures; it's all about faith (if I'm wrong, theists, feel free to correct me, I'm making an assumption here).

That just shows you don't know much about science, but that's been addressed in previous posts.....
    I'm kin of curious as to what you believe as far as god. If you don't mind
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2008, 08:50 AM
    im kin of curious as to what you belive as far as god. if you dont mind
    Don't mind at all. :) I don't believe in god, but I think everyone should be free to make their own decisions about their belief and be treated equally regardless of their belief (or lack thereof).

In other words, I don't believe, but I don't care if other people do, as long as we are all afforded the same treatment and rights.

Mar 16, 2008, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    Don't mind at all. :) I don't believe in god, but I think everyone should be free to make their own decisions about their belief and be treated equally regardless of their belief (or lack thereof).

In other words, I don't believe, but I don't care if other people do, as long as we are all afforded the same treatment and rights.
    yeah everyone has a choice to believe in God or not. I believe in god because, it only makes sense that God created the universe, I just find to hard to believe in something like evolution. Why don't you believe in God.:)
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2008, 06:54 PM
    yeah everyone has a choice to believe in God or not. i beleive in god because, it only makes sense that God created the universe, i just find to hard to beleieve in something like evolution. why dont you believe in God.:)
    Because it doesn't make sense that god created the universe and I find it easy to believe in evolution. :)

I'm a person who likes tangible evidence and proof of things - at the very least, logic. But to me, "god" has never made sense. I'm of the opinion people are either born with the capacity for religious faith or they aren't. I wasn't. It's one of those things that to me has never been realistic or logical; I don't choose to not believe, I just don't.

Mar 18, 2008, 08:27 PM
    [quote=jillianleab]Because it doesn't make sense that god created the universe and I find it easy to believe in evolution. :)

I'm a person who likes tangible evidence and proof of things - at the very least, logic. But to me, "god" has never made sense. I'm of the opinion people are either born with the capacity for religious faith or they aren't. I wasn't. It's one of those things that to me has never been realistic or logical; I don't choose to not believe, I just don't. So you think that believing in God isn't logical.. okay, tell me does this make sense... ok, here's a story. The day you convince me of this story, then i will believe in the theory of evolution: Billions and billions of years ago, there was this big rock. This rock had a strange metal substance surronding the rock. But one day, a piece of the metal rock broke off, and began to form a cylinder-like container. Then some red, brown, black, and even a little green gases came together and painted the can. Now mind you, this is all an accident! These gases "accidentally" formed the words "Coca-Cola" along with its emblem and all the ingredients.Also, a liquid substance came together and made a watery substance that filled the inside of the can, and then some more metal formed together to make a pop top.:) pretty convincing...;)
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2008, 09:18 PM
    Well... evolution doesn't explain how life began, it explains how it got to where it is today once it already began, so your analogy is a bit flawed. But you don't have to accept the theory of evolution, you just have to respect that others do; and they have to respect that you don't.

The thing you must remember about science is that it is constantly changing, and it doesn't have an answer for everything (yet). Scientists are constantly trying to prove one another wrong, and sometimes they do. But sometimes, when trying to prove one another wrong, they prove the original theorist more right.

And for the record, I didn't say believing in god isn't logical, I said it doesn't make sense to me. I understand the logic behind believing, but in my opinion, the concept of god (especially a personal god) just doesn't make sense. My brain just says, "Nope. Try again!"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Explain Hosea 11:9 "I am God, and not a man" [ 11 Answers ]

I am just curious how Christians explain this one: Hosea 11:9 -- "I will not execute the fierceness of Mine anger, I will not return to destroy Ephraim; for I am God, and not man, the Holy One in the midst of thee; and I will not come in fury." A fundamental belief of Christianity is that...

" Be concerned above everything else with the Kingdom of God ." [ 3 Answers ]

" Instead, be concerned above everything else with the Kingdom of God and with what he requires of you, and he will provide you with all these other things." (Matthew 6.33) What is the real meaning of this sentence ?

"Why god made moms?" [ 1 Answers ]

To anyone & everyone... I was e-mailed this just a few moments ago. A class of 2nd graders were asked "why they believed that god made moms?" Their response were as follows-- 1. She's the only one that knows where the scotch tape is.

How Does God Calls Himself? E.g "i am the bread of life" [ 6 Answers ]

Hello my name is kate, and I'm doing a project on Religion. My teacher asked me to write how God calls himself, she said to give all the "I am" an example with this is "I am the bread of life " John 6:35. Unfortunately this is the only one I could find in the bible. Does anyone is kind, and help...

View more questions Search