Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2008, 09:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    Well... evolution doesn't explain how life began, it explains how it got to where it is today once it already began, so your analogy is a bit flawed. But you don't have to accept the theory of evolution, you just have to respect that others do; and they have to respect that you don't.

The thing you must remember about science is that it is constantly changing, and it doesn't have an answer for everything (yet). Scientists are constantly trying to prove one another wrong, and sometimes they do. But sometimes, when trying to prove one another wrong, they prove the original theorist more right.

And for the record, I didn't say believing in god isn't logical, I said it doesn't make sense to me. I understand the logic behind believing, but in my opinion, the concept of god (especially a personal god) just doesn't make sense. My brain just says, "Nope. Try again!"
    I think your wasting your time jillian!
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2008, 09:23 PM
    Skell, if I only posted when I thought I wasn't wasting my time... well let's just say I'd spend a lot less time on this site! :D

But so far this is a polite and civil discussion... when and if it turns otherwise then I'll know I'm wasting my time (and still probably won't stop)!
    ineedhelpfast Posts: 101, Reputation: 7

Mar 18, 2008, 09:49 PM
    Well... evolution doesn't explain how life began, it explains how it got to where it is today once it already began, so your analogy is a bit flawed. But you don't have to accept the theory of evolution, you just have to respect that others do; and they have to respect that you don't.

The thing you must remember about science is that it is constantly changing, and it doesn't have an answer for everything (yet). Scientists are constantly trying to prove one another wrong, and sometimes they do. But sometimes, when trying to prove one another wrong, they prove the original theorist more right.

And for the record, I didn't say believing in god isn't logical, I said it doesn't make sense to me. I understand the logic behind believing, but in my opinion, the concept of god (especially a personal god) just doesn't make sense. My brain just says, "Nope. Try again!"
    so how can you believe in something that is constantly changing, that really doesn't ,ake sense to be, but perhaps you can enlighten.:)me
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 08:14 AM
    Religion changes too. Take when the Catholic church decided to change the rules about babies and purgatory so they could attract more converts in Africa (which has a high infant mortality rate) - that's an arbitrary change. The recent addition of "new" seven deadly sins; those things were not ordered by god, they were decided by men with no evidence, yet people follow them anyway. Over time the values and what is acceptable or unacceptable in religion change, but it's not because god is sending you all new messages, it's because man interprets things differently.

Science, on the other hand changes when people have new proof or evidence. I like that it changes because it means there is a constant search for the right answer, not the preferred answer.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 19, 2008, 09:54 AM
    Where did "God" come from?

I have no clue, but am trying to figure it out. Can I have more time? I think as man discovers more, he will eventually know. When will that be? How would I know?
    ineedhelpfast Posts: 101, Reputation: 7

Mar 19, 2008, 09:02 PM
    Religion changes too. Take when the Catholic church decided to change the rules about babies and purgatory so they could attract more converts in Africa (which has a high infant mortality rate) - that's an arbitrary change. The recent addition of "new" seven deadly sins; those things were not ordered by god, they were decided by men with no evidence, yet people follow them anyway. Over time the values and what is acceptable or unacceptable in religion change, but it's not because god is sending you all new messages, it's because man interprets things differently.

Science, on the other hand changes when people have new proof or evidence. I like that it changes because it means there is a constant search for the right answer, not the preferred answer.
    if it is the right answer you are looking for then why do always lie to the students, because they were teaching me evolution example that was disproven more than a hundred years ago, the fetus thing... as for the catholic church, or any church, my final authority is the word of God, and of course God himself, the only thing that has changed from the bible is language, and different translations, but the main message of the bible is still there. And that is that god loves us and wants a relationship with us, not religon, that is the pharisees and saducees were always angry at jesus, because although they were religious and claimed to be something, there heart wasn't right, and only God can judge.
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 05:46 AM
    Evolution is not a lie, nor has it been disproven. It is science, important science, which is why it is taught in a science class.

And it's nice that your final authority is the word of god, but that doesn't change the fact that millions of followers have changes their views and interpretations of the bible to suit their particular agenda or mission. The basic message of the bible is still there, sure, but if you want to go that broad, I'll say the basic message of science is still there too; it's just the elements that change.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 08:02 AM
    Religion changes too.
    Some do. But not the doctrines of the Catholic Church.

Take when the Catholic church decided to change the rules about babies and purgatory so they could attract more converts in Africa (which has a high infant mortality rate) - that's an arbitrary change.
    It certainly would be an arbitrary change if that were true, but it isn't.

The Church still teaches purgatory:
    CCC Search Result - Paragraph # 1031

And the Church has every right to change rules about anything it wants. It is only the doctrine of Jesus Christ which is absolute.

The recent addition of "new" seven deadly sins;
    The seven deadly sins have always been taught by the Church.

those things were not ordered by god, they were decided by men with no evidence, yet people follow them anyway.
    The Church teaches only the Revelation of God. It is you who is making things up without evidence.

Over time the values and what is acceptable or unacceptable in religion change, but it's not because god is sending you all new messages, it's because man interprets things differently.
    The Catholic Church continues to teach the doctrine of Jesus Christ.

There is nothing wrong with searching for truth. It is wrong however, to attribute absolute truth to theories based on assumptions which can't be tested nor duplicated in a laboratory.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by De Maria
    It is wrong however, to attribute absolute truth to theories based on assumptions which can't be tested nor duplicated in a laboratory.
    You really don't see the irony in this statement, do you? It displays your complete misunderstanding of what the scientific method and scientific theory is all about. HINT: It isn't "absolute truth". That's a religious concept.
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 11:36 AM
    DeMaria, you're on my ignore list, but your post is so full of errors I just can't help myself.

First, about babies an purgatory: Pope Benedict XVI Changes Catholic Church's Stance on Unbaptized Babies and Limbo - Associated Content Sounds like an arbitrary change to me...

And here's information about the "new" deadly sins: Seven new deadly sins: are you guilty? -Times Online Another arbitrary change.

Perhaps you should understand what it is I'm referring to before you go around saying I'm wrong. It makes you look foolish.

And as for your last statement... it is the theists who claim "absolute truth" and who cannot test or duplicate "god" in a laboratory. Oh, and what OG said.

Aaannnnnddd... back on my ignore list you go!
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 12:02 PM
    DeMaria, you're on my ignore list, but your post is so full of errors I just can't help myself.

First, about babies an purgatory: Pope Benedict XVI Changes Catholic Church's Stance on Unbaptized Babies and Limbo - Associated Content Sounds like an arbitrary change to me...
    Its unfortunate that you believe everything you read in the news. The fact is that this article is wrong. It is not true that, "Traditionally the Catholic Church has taught that the unbaptized baby's soul goes into a state of limbo."

In the 1985 book-length interview, "The Ratzinger Report," the future Pope Benedict said, "Limbo was never a defined truth of faith. Personally -- and here I am speaking more as a theologian and not as prefect of the congregation -- I would abandon it, since it was only a theological hypothesis.
    CNS STORY: Closing the doors of limbo: Theologians say it was hypothesis

And here's information about the "new" deadly sins: Seven new deadly sins: are you guilty? -Times Online Another arbitrary change.
    The seven social sins are a matter of discussion. They are not official doctrine.

Perhaps you should understand what it is I'm referring to before you go around saying I'm wrong. It makes you look foolish.
    If I didn't know the difference between Purgatory and Limbo, I would look foolish. If I didn't know that Limbo was a hypothesis, I would look foolish. If I had taken the content of a news article and acted as though it were Church doctrine, I would look foolish. But I didn't do that, you did.

And as for your last statement... it is the theists who claim "absolute truth" and who cannot test or duplicate "god" in a laboratory. Oh, and what OG said.
    But they act as though their theories, such as the Big Bang and Evolution are absolute truth. Which they aren't.

Aaannnnnddd... back on my ignore list you go!
    Thanks. I reserve the right to respond to anything you write in the Christian or the Religious Discussion forum however.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 12:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy
    You really don't see the irony in this statement, do you? It displays your complete misunderstanding of what the scientific method and scientific theory is all about. HINT: It isn't "absolute truth". That's a religious concept.
    Tell that to all those who keep preaching that we can't contradict the Big Bang THEORY or the
    THEORY of Evolution.
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Mar 20, 2008, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by De Maria
    Tell that to all those who keep preaching that we can't contradict the Big Bang THEORY or the
    THEORY of Evolution.
    I've told you many times that the reasons you can't contradict those theories is because those theories have evidence behind them if you can make a theory that fits the evidence better we will start to teach that theory instead.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Explain Hosea 11:9 "I am God, and not a man" [ 11 Answers ]

I am just curious how Christians explain this one: Hosea 11:9 -- "I will not execute the fierceness of Mine anger, I will not return to destroy Ephraim; for I am God, and not man, the Holy One in the midst of thee; and I will not come in fury." A fundamental belief of Christianity is that...

" Be concerned above everything else with the Kingdom of God ." [ 3 Answers ]

" Instead, be concerned above everything else with the Kingdom of God and with what he requires of you, and he will provide you with all these other things." (Matthew 6.33) What is the real meaning of this sentence ?

"Why god made moms?" [ 1 Answers ]

To anyone & everyone... I was e-mailed this just a few moments ago. A class of 2nd graders were asked "why they believed that god made moms?" Their response were as follows-- 1. She's the only one that knows where the scotch tape is.

How Does God Calls Himself? E.g "i am the bread of life" [ 6 Answers ]

Hello my name is kate, and I'm doing a project on Religion. My teacher asked me to write how God calls himself, she said to give all the "I am" an example with this is "I am the bread of life " John 6:35. Unfortunately this is the only one I could find in the bible. Does anyone is kind, and help...

View more questions Search