Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smr15012 Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Jan 31, 2006, 09:32 AM
    I need to connect my 2 home computers
    On one internet connection. I am afraid to go wireless, because one computer is on the second floor of the house and the other in the basement game room.

I want to know if a router (and the most cost effective one to get) would work with our computers.

The basement computer has Windows 98 and has phone and USB ports only, it was originally connected to be cable modem upstairs via a USB port, and we have now moved it to the basement.

The new upstairs computer is Windows XP, USB and ethennet (sp?) connections available. This computer is currently connected through the ethenent port to my cable modem for the internet. (This computer came with a wireless card installed and a wireless adapter and a memory flash stick that I have not idea what to do with any of them... LOL)

Ok so I know I would have a drill to run the existing internet cable from the second floor to the basement level, but I have no idea where the router would get connected, to which computer and if it has to be the basement computer will a USB port work?

I am kind of a 1/2 dummy when it comes to these technical things so if you can give me detailed instructions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
    Susan
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2006, 09:43 AM
    Hi,
    Here is a very good link, explaining step-by-step how to set it up, and suggestions for troubleshooting, using a router. The link also has pictures as to setup.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ussel_hni.mspx

Best wishes, and good luck.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2006, 09:53 AM
    I may know less than you do about computers, but I managed. You need 3 ethernet cables. One from the cable modem to the router, and then one from the router to each of the computers.

Fishing wires through interior walls isn't too bad. Not only does the insulation in exterior walls make it harder, you can mess it up. Use wall plates. Measure carefully. Measure carefully again. Cut a hole smaller the plate in the wall. You can then use a angle head drill adapter to drill a hole in the plates. You will hit a 2x4, a sub floor, and then 2 more 2x4's. Go to the basement and drill a hole into the same wall cavity. Drop a string with a weight down the first hole. Use a coat hanger wire to fish the string and weight out the bottom. If the cable modem is on the first floor, you will need a plate for that wall too.

I will leave the software questions to one of the good people here. Just wanted to assure you, it is a simple job physically. I even managed to crimp the cable to the wall plates without a tool.

Jan 31, 2006, 10:15 AM
    So I definitely will need an ethernet port on the computer in the basement, not a USB port? (sorry I have not checked out Fredg link yet). Unfortunately I don't think that computer will support a ethernet card. I remember trying that before and the slots in the computer would not match the card, even though the computer is only about 4 years (which I guess now days is OLD!).

Fishing them through the walls... LOL.. not with my husband, we may have to run it along the wall of the bedroom over to the stairs and drop the cord through the stairs. Which really would not be that bad as his computer sits right next to the base stairs. I think the port may be a problem though.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 31, 2006, 11:36 AM
    First while Fred's link has some nice info, its not much help to you. It really doesn't go into enough specifics about setting up a broadband router based network.

There are loads of broadband routers on the market, Linksys, Netgear. Belkin, D-Link are all good brands. Any one of them can do the job for you. The way they work is your cable modem connects to the router's WAN port and your other PCs connect to the LAN (switch) ports on the router.

While there are some routers that accept a USB connection from the cable modem, most require an Ethernet connection. So if your cable modem is USB only, you may either have to change it or find a router that accepts USB input.

As for the basement PC. I would be very surprised that a 4 year old PC or any PC that came with Win 98 would not accept a standard PCI network card. However, if you have USB working on that PC you can get a USB network adapter that connects to the computer via USB and the router using Ethernet cable.

Before you start running wires, though, you might talk to a local computer shop about return policies. You might find that one of the new MIMO wireless routers will do the job. They may allow you to try out the equipment and return it if you can't get a signal.

Jan 31, 2006, 12:50 PM
    I appreciate your help very much! I thought it was strange about the basement PC, but if I remember correctly we tried to do a wireless hookup several years ago (before the original basement PC died and I bought a brand new one for upstairs last week), but my slot is one long slot then a small solid space and then a short slot, and I think the card I went to buy has a different slot configuration... maybe I am thinking of the "old" basement one (I am at work now so I can not go and look).

Regardless, my cable modem has ports for a USB and a Eathernet hookup, I have it hooked to the new computer with the Eathernet (it was hooked to old one with a USB).

You make it much clearer or me then trying to read the Microsoft page, though the photo on the Microsoft page gave me a gread image in my head of what I need to do.

My local Staples store has great personnel, the last time I tried to hook up the wireless stuff, I asked them before if I could return everything if it did not work (which it did not) and they were great about it!

Anyone want to just come to my house and do it for me?

You talked me into trying the wireless first, I am going to stop at staples on my way home.

I used to have a Cisco 800 series router that I got from work... I swear I pitched it about a month ago because I kept saying what am I going to do with this! Stupid me!

Thanks so much... I will let you know how I make out!

Jan 31, 2006, 12:58 PM
    Ok I am just thinking and a bit confused. What computer does the router get hooked up to? If I go wireless I don't have to run any cables down to the basement correct?

Jan 31, 2006, 01:31 PM
    Several years ago wireless did not have to power to go as far as it can now. The new MIMO routers are rated for as much as 800 feet. With walls and floors in place that will reduce the range, but it still may be enough.

As for the slot, I suspect you either looked at the wrong one, or not carefully enough at the card. There are some slots with the extension you describe, but a network card doesn't need it and may be able to fit into the first part. The main reason I push this is a internal network card will be cheaper.

The Cisco router you have probably won't work. You need a special broadband router that has DHCP capabilities.

You might talk to a local Best Buy, CompUSA or Circuit City. They all do network installations for a fee.

Good luck and we're here if you have any other questions.

Jan 31, 2006, 01:36 PM
    I will let you know how it all works out tonight!. Hopefully... but Pitt plays UConn at 7:30 so I may get held up!!

GO PITT!!

Thanks again
    Susan
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2006, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smr15012
    Ok I am just thinking and a bit confused. What computer does the router get hooked up to? If I go wireless I don't have to run any cables down to the basement correct?
    Scott explained that earlier. The cable from the modem goes to the WAN port on the router. Then connect each computer to the LAN ports with or with cables.

I have been very happy with my local Staples.

I already said I am just saying it is easy.

Another easy project is to cut your phone bill. I pay $27.25 for full featured local service and unlimited long distance. I have clearer voice connections than I ever did. I have an analog telephone adapter connected to my router too. I set up an account with www.vonage.com. They shipped me the adapter. I plugged it in, and plugged a phone into it, and the first call I dialed went right through. I then called the hick outfit phone company and told them to disconnect my service. I was paying $40 a month and didn't even have tone dialing. I save almost enough on my phone to pay the extra for broad band.
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Jan 31, 2006, 04:13 PM
    Scott, I have another related question that I ran into a couple years ago when XP cameout. I had a hard time hooking up a network for a friend because win98 is fat32 and XP is NTFS. I am not an expert inthis and was trying to help him out so I was getting info from co-workers and internet. A computer guy he knew ended up coming in and getting it to work. He had broadband also. Do you have any comments about that?

Also, How would I hook up and network with win98 and XP using dialup. Is that possible? Yes, I am still on dialup because I can't afford cable broadband and DSL is not available in my area yet. Thanks.
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2006, 04:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jduke44
    snip...Yes, I am still on dialup b/c I can't afford cable broadband and DSL is not available in my area yet. Thanks.
    Did you see my discussion of VOIP? I went from paying about $65/month if I didn't use too much long distance for phone and dial up internet to a flat $72 a month for cable and internet phone.
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Jan 31, 2006, 07:42 PM
    Yeah, actually, I read your thread before about 2 months ago(roughly). I think I added the cost that it would be against what I have now (including dialup) and it was 20-30 more a month. That would be great, however, my wife and I cannot afford that extra amount right. We have 2 small boys and have a lot of repairs to do on our newly bought house. I would love to do VOIP but unfortunately, not in our budget. I appreciate the info though. Thanks labman.
    klmgb Posts: 114, Reputation: 13

Jan 31, 2006, 08:02 PM
    In my opinion Your best bet is to get a wireless USB adapter for the downstairs computer and a wireless router, that way no cables anywhere. Even though theoretically all routers should work with all adapters, it is usually best to get the same models, just my opinion. Router 70-80 dollars, wireless USB adapter about the same. You don't get the full effect of a laptop until you are wireless and can lay in your hammock and search AMHD.

Feb 1, 2006, 06:33 AM
    I have to disagree with klmgb on several counts. First, I recommend using a wired connection except where it is impractical. Wired is faster and more stable and more secured. This isn't to say wireless is bad, just that wired is better. However, sometimes it is impractical to run wires. Second, we are dealing with a dialup connection here. I've seen very few routers that work with a modem. They are almost all designed for broadband.

Than being said you can create a local network using a switch. This would allow the PCs to share resources. You would have to manually assign your IPs since you won't have a DHCP server. You can also share the Internet, but the PC that will do the dialing has to be running some Internet sharing or proxy software (like ICS) and the other machines need to be set up as clients. Also that PC that acts as the modem server will need to be on all the time.

Feb 1, 2006, 08:27 AM
    Well last night was not very fruitfull at all! I got the wireless router and adapter for the downstairs computer, problem was that the downstairs computer has Windows 98 on it and the router and adapter were for Windows XP, when I put the CD in it shut the computer down, which is the same thing that happened when I tried to install the software for a MP3 player last month.

I did go back and get the card that has a little antenna in the back to use that instead, it said it worked with windows 98 second edition (which is not what I have) but the same thing happened when I put the CD in! Then the CD gets stucks because the computer shuts off and I have to unplug the power source and plug it back in to start the computer again, then I have to very quickly eject the CD before it shuts down again!

Actually I think the CD drive may possibly have been damaged because I tried to put a installation CD from my printer that I had used before on that computer and it did the same thing!

So anyway wireless is now out of the question, since none of the components are made for Windows 98.

I am going to try tonight to do it with the wire networking, they only problem I may have is that the downstairs computer only has USB ports and I can not install any ethernet port of adapter that I would have to use a installation CD for.

They guys at staples will be real happy to see me back after work today! I was there 3 times last night.

Again thanks for the help.

Susan

Feb 1, 2006, 08:56 AM
    I would do a couple of more things:

1) Check e-bay for a Win 98SE upgrade
    2) Get an external CD drive or replace the internal one
    3) then deal with the networking
    klmgb Posts: 114, Reputation: 13

Feb 1, 2006, 09:32 AM
    Scott

Your right about the dial up, but I was answering the original post. I must have missed the second question from jduke and I apologize for the confusion. But, I disagree on the other two points (slightly). Wireless can be pretty secure if you put the proper procedures in place, (WPA or WEP, MAC address, and change all factory access codes to uniquepasswords. And wireles is fast I get average 3.5-4Mbps, but you're right, not as fast as wired. Still the convenience of having wireless on a laptop, to me, outways the other issues.

Feb 1, 2006, 10:03 AM
    I'm not saying wireless is insecure, just that wired is more secure and less work needs to be made to secure it. There are times when wired is impractical or inconvenient so wirlesss is a viable substitute. I use wireless so I can lie in my hammock or on my couch and still surf. But I ran wires up to my daughters room when I installed a PC there. It wasn't difficult to drill a hole in the corner of my office (came up in a closet) and run a cable along the baseboard.

Feb 1, 2006, 10:50 AM
    Since the computer is older to begin I don't want to put a lot of money in a new drive (all my hubby does on his is sports reading) I got an external ethernet port that plugs into his USB port, since the CD drive won't work I downloaded the driver to a floppy here at work and will install it on his computer that way when I get home (hopefullY!! ).

I will still get the wireless router but use it as a wired connection right now and then whey he finally breaks down and buys a new computer we can go wireless if we want.

I will let you know how it all worked out tomorrow... keep you fingers crossed for me!

Thanks
    Susan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect via remote desktop two computers on lan [ 9 Answers ]

I was wondering if someone could provide me with step-by-step instructions on setting up Remote Desktop on two networked computers (not using internet) in an office. Both machines have windows xp pro. I want to be able to work on the other office computer without having to keep walking over to the...

How do you connect to a T1 network from home? [ 11 Answers ]

If you are eventually going to work from your home for your company, are you able to connect to your companies T1 service from home and if so how do you do this?

How to connect two computers? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Everybody.. I'm new to computers.. n I've got two computers at home with windows xp running on them. I would like to know how to connect them to each other. I've got no NIC card and no cross over cable. Let me know the things I need them to connect. And secondly if I would like to connect them...

Connect 2 computers to burn a dvd... [ 2 Answers ]

I am attempting to connect 2 computers to burn a dvd. I think(? ) w/ a crossover cable I can figure out how to make the connection. Why am I doing this you ask... PC1 (running Me) has the dvd burner & software but is FAT32. Figured this out when the downloading 6.1GB .img got error message at...

How to connect two computers together by a wireless network [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... I am new in Communication and networking so please your answer must be in details... My computer in the living room with windows XP home edition.. the other computer with windows 2000 with servie pack 4 in my kids bed room.. my wirelss router is linksys connected to my computers and...

View more questions Search