Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swaaaalif Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 01:04 AM
    Case Study
    Hi guys..

I had a case study in ethics which is part of my project and I need some good idea's that help me to debate in this case study.. sorry for my weak english..

The case study is :

As a finance employee, you have access to quarterly earnings information prior to release to the public. A close friend knows that you cannot divulge confidential information, but he is still curious and tried to get answers. What should you do?

a) Answer because you want to help your friend

My situation is against the other group who says that the employee cannot discuss this type of information.

Am in difficult situation..

Anyone can help me in this as soon as possible because I have to submit it by the end of this week

Thanks in advance..
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 02:20 AM
    My answer would be that you "can't say." Short and sweet, professional and to the point. No need for further explanation. Just my viewpoint on this. Hopefully, others will be along to share theirs.
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 02:21 AM
    I would be interested as to why this is part of a debate, if you wouldn't mind sharing that here?

Mar 10, 2008, 03:19 AM
    This task is a part of my project.. I mean this debate will be graded as a project !

I want people here to help me with this case? What should I say in this case?
    How could I prove my situation!

I know that it's unethical behavior to discuss this info with my friend and this is my perspective... but this task is a part of my project and I have to debate in this case !

I hope you got my point...

Thanks for your opinion :)
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 03:35 AM
    If you would provide the specific instructions that you were given about completing your project, that would be good for those of us who could help you here.
    encyclopedia Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2008, 03:35 AM
    Yeah. The ethical behavior is that yous should not divulge the information to your friend.
    I would quote few reasons for doing so.

1. You would have signed an agreement with your firm not to divulge confidential information. You are just abiding by its rules.
    2. The agreement also invariably states that if you do not adhere to the SEP (Standards and Ethical Principles) you run the risk of getting fired from the company. You obviously do not want to lose your job, so you would not divulge the information.
    3. There is no grounds your friend would be wanting to know the information. If it is just because of curiosity, then the curiosity can be as well quenched when the information goes public. If it is for a personal benefit (like insider trading) then the information should NEVER be divulged.
    4. You can just ask your curious friend to hold his/her curiosity till the information goes public.

I hope I answer your question.

Mar 10, 2008, 08:04 AM
    Let Me explain again what is My request!

I had a project that is asking me to debate in this case.. in this case study there are two groups..

Accodring to the case study that says

As a finance employee, you have access to quarterly earnings information prior to release to the public. A close friend knows that you cannot divulge confidential information, but he is still curious and tried to get answers. What should you do?

There are two sides, one side is to

a) Answer because you want to help your friend

And the other one is

b) advise your friend that you absolutely cannot discuss this type of information.

Unfortunately our group has been asked to answer a)!!

I know it's unethical behavior.. and I find it little bit difficult to answer and debate in something I don't agree with! But it says that it's good to argue in something you don't except because it makes you think more!

Anyway.. anybody has any idea to share with?

I hope everyone get my point!!

Thanks

Mar 11, 2008, 09:04 PM
    any opinion?? =S

Thanks in advance !
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 09:28 PM
    You could argue that you will only give him leading or suggestive comments without going into specifics so that you won't technically be responsible for saying anything out right about it.

You could argue that you would provide the answers because you value your friendship and would like to see your friend prosper. The odds of you getting caught are slim and that you consider it worth the risks.

You would then have to take the stance that you would not feel guilty or that the possible punishment would not deter you, because you think the risks are small.

You could use the argument that people do it all the time, and that you have to know somebody to get ahead in business these days.

You might take the approach that you find it acceptable to bend the rules because you are building contacts and professional relationships with your friend that you feel will possibly benefit you in the future since if you scratch his back now, he will scratch yours later.

Remember, that the purpose of the debate is for you to come up with arguments that support your side, so try to think of what issues the other side will use, and be ready to tell why you don't accept that as good enough reasons to take their side.

Mar 14, 2008, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by oneguyinohio
    You could argue that you will only give him leading or suggestive comments without going into specifics so that you wont technically be responsible for saying anything out right about it.

You could argue that you would provide the answers because you value your friendship and would like to see your friend prosper. The odds of you getting caught are slim and that you consider it worth the risks.

You would then have to take the stance that you would not feel guilty or that the possible punishment would not deter you, because you think the risks are small.

You could use the arguement that people do it all the time, and that you have to know somebody to get ahead in business these days.

You might take the approach that you find it acceptable to bend the rules because you are building contacts and professional relationships with your friend that you feel will possibly benefit you in the future since if you scratch his back now, he will scratch yours later.

Remember, that the purpose of the debate is for you to come up with arguments that support your side, so try to think of what issues the other side will use, and be ready to tell why you dont accept that as good enough reasons to take their side.

Thaaanks oneguyinohio for your ideas.. that is helpful ^_^

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Benetton case study [ 11 Answers ]

I have this case to do for school and I have not idea what to do I am stuck. It is due by Saturday and I don't know where to begin can someone please help me The questions in this exercise are based on the Benetton Group, a company headquartered in Italy and known in the United States primarily...

How to study a case [ 1 Answers ]

How does 1 study a case of salomon vs salomon

Case study [ 1 Answers ]

Describe a problem where you had to seek out relevant information, define keyissues, and decide on which steps to take to get to desired results. Please include details of the context, the actions you took, the results were achieved and if these results was good or unaccaptable. Also describe a...

Case Study [ 2 Answers ]

What are the main challenges while conducting a Case Study?

View more questions Search