Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jolike1 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 10:00 PM
    Baking Enamel
    Can I paint small metal pieces with enamel and bake in our oven?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2008, 10:06 PM
    As long as the enamel is safe to heat, some kinds release toxic fumes or may just melt all over..
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 12:48 AM
    It would be helpful to know a little more information here. Also, safety is a factor as indicated in the above post by charlotte234s.

Why are you wanting to bake metal pieces that have been painted with enamel, please?
    jolike1 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 10:57 AM
    We have several bathroom cabinet hinges that have tarnished and replacements are unavailable. Our thought is to lightly sand and paint with enamel then heat in the oven.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 03:54 AM
    The kinds of enamel paints that you would use on the bathroom cabinet hinges should harden sufficiently on its own in time and be plenty hard enough to withstand daily use. So, I don't think that there would be a need to bake the enamel and to take the risk of the possible health ramifications with fumes.

Just my opinion...

Are your hinges made of brass? If they are, than that could open up some other possibilities as to what to do with them to make them look better.
    rawpotatoeater37 Posts: 244, Reputation: 8

Mar 22, 2008, 11:57 AM
    I don't think your oven will get hot enough for actually melting the enamel to the metal. Jewelers use specialty ovens all the time. Enamel is essentially powdered glass, so imagine putting that in your oven - it's just not going to be hot enough.

Good luck though!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2008, 12:19 PM
    You would actually want to powder coat, which is a whole system in itself. See.Plating Kits Electroplating Kits Aluminum Anodizing Kits Powder Coating Systems Metal Polishing And Buffing Supplies - Caswell Inc. It does have a baking step.

Hinges can be plated. I can't find my bookmark for an online company that will do it. If really interested, I can try to locate the company again.

Bathrooms would benefit by a powder coat system better than anything else.

It isn't recommended to use a baking over, but rather a separate oven like a toaster oven for potentially toxic processes. Baking enamel is just going to make a mess.

The next best thing would be a two part epoxy paint sprayed on. This could be found at a marine store. There are small very low-cost paint systems at the hardware store that use a propellent cartridge and a container. Two-part epoxy paint also doesn't come cheap.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ratio of baking soda/baking powder to plainf flour [ 2 Answers ]

I have an Australian cookie recipe that calls for self raising flour and I do not have any.. what ratio of baking powder should I add to the regular flour to make it "self raising' Many thanks

Latex enamel [ 1 Answers ]

What is latex enamel? I know that latex paint is water-based and enamel is varnish or lacquer plus pigment or paint. So is latex enamel considered to be water-based? Cleans up and thins with what?

Latex enamel used over oil enamel [ 1 Answers ]

What problems happen when a latex paint is applied over a oil based enamel?

Enamel Over Latex? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I paint oil based enamel paint over latex?

View more questions Search