Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adamjtucker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2006, 08:33 AM
    Help needed with broken toilet flush
    Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me with my temperamental toilet flush? I'm not good with terminology but I'll try my best to explain!

After flushing my toilet, the pump mechanism often doesn't re-descend into its hole. It flushes OK, but the next time you need to flush, the handle needs wiggling or forcing upwards in order to send the pump back down so it can be flushed again.

This would be OK, except all the extra pressure tends to eventually loosen the linkage between the handle and pump mechanism until it falls off. Then, it's off with the cistern lid to ease it all back into place until it happens again!

I've tried a few things like changing the arm for a longer one to try and get the linkage to hang straighter, but no luck.

Can anyone help with this?

My toilet flush looks a little different from most diagrams on the internet - I think it might be a UK type! The image for STEP 2 in the link below is the clearest example I can find:

http://www.uktvstyle.co.uk/index.cfm...aid/2556.shtml

Hope someone out there can help!

Adam
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 1, 2006, 07:35 AM
    Hi Adam,
    , Sounds like your flapper linkage needs adjusting.
    With the flapper seated the linkage wants to have 1/4" of play. Too much play and the flapper doesn't get pulled back enough giving you a short flush. Too tight and it lets water seep past the flapper. I adjust the chain by the link and if it needs fine tuning, I bend the flush lever rod a bit untill I have the desired play in the linkage. One more thing about a flapper. you will see where the old flapper hooks onto the base of the white overflow tube. On a older type with no hooks the flapper has a ring that slips down over the overflow tube to the seat. If your tank has hooks, take a sharp knife or scissors and cut the neoprene ring off on the marks provided and hook the flapper on the hooks. Leaving the ring on will interfere with the flush. The water level in your tank should be 3/8 to 1/2" below the top of the overflow tube when the tank's filled. And last, you do realize that the nut that secures the flush lever and rod to the tank is a left hand thread don't you? Hope this helps, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet will not flush completely [ 26 Answers ]

Hi, I had just found this forum and this is my first post. My elderly parents live in a 2 story old home with two bathrooms, one on each floor. The toilet on the ground level flushes fine. The one upstairs will not flush solids without filling up a bucket of water and emptying it in the toilet....

Toilet flush [ 17 Answers ]

I flushed the toilet, the water goes down from the tank, but it swirls around and around in the toilet bowl but does not flush. What is the problem. Help.

Toilet will not completely flush [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced all the insides of my toilet, now when I flush I have to hold the handle down until all the water runs out of the bowl. If not almost as soon as I let the handle go the flapper will cover up the hole that drains the water into the bowl. I know this is easily fixable, but I don't...

Toilet Won't flush properly [ 1 Answers ]

We recently purchased a 1998 Double Wide Manufactured Home. There are two toilets in the house on opposite ends. The one off the Master Bedroom works fine, but the other toilet will not flush properly. It will work for a couple of days without any problems and then it starts clogging and when...

Random toilet flush [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: Hope someone can help. Have ~ 50 yr old toilet with relatively new flapper valve and fill valve that were replaced a year or so ago and toilet worked OK. About two weeks ago toilet would not flush completely and paper etc. would stay in the bowl. When not working, water would slowly...

View more questions Search