Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PRasst Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 08:28 PM
    OPT China - US treaty
    :) Hi - I recently started in a new company. I am a payroll asst. One of our employees is asking about OPT since she has received her first paycheck. And I'm left to research. As an employer am I supposed to exempt her from all taxes on the first $5000 earned? Or is she supposed to do that when she files for 2008? She is currently on F1 and I am not deducting FICA from her.

Thank you so much for your time!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 25, 2008, 01:53 PM
    If she files the appropriate paperwork, the first $5,000 of her income IS exempt from taxation. Form 1042-S should be prepared to document that fact. The rest of the income is reported on Form W-2.

If you failed to do this, she can claim the $5,000 treaty exemption when she files Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ.

She is NOT liable for any FICA tax.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 26, 2008, 05:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PRasst
    :) Hi - I recently started in a new company. I am a payroll asst. One of our employees is asking about OPT since she has received her first paycheck. And I'm left to research. As an employer am I supposed to exempt her from all taxes on the first $5000 earned? Or is she supposed to do that when she files for 2008? She is currently on F1 and I am not deducting FICA from her.

Thank you so much for your time!
    Every one of F1/OPT is exempt from FICA taxes for 5-years.
    About $5,000 tax treaty deduction, I am not sure why should you as an employer worry about tax treaty of every country. Then you can always make a mistake. So may be without considering tax treaty, withhold the taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I benefit from Tax treaty between US and China? [ 16 Answers ]

Dear Help Desk: I am a postdoc in life sciences. I came here from China in 1999 as a F1 student and now hold H1B visa. Our payroll still files W9 form for me which claims the tax-treaty Article 20(c) - $5000 is tax-free. I am just wondering whether this is correct. Thank you very much.

US-China tax treaty about student [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, My status is this: My wife and I are canadian permanent resident and we are citizen of people's republic of China. We are holding the Chinese passport. I was working in US using OPT in 2006. My question is: Can I deduct that $5000 based on the US-China tax treaty (that treaty is for...

China Treaty and FICA Tax [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, It's tax season and questions are burgeoning~~ I have been reading this board and your answer is truly helpful~~Thanks. I am a F1 student who is in my 6th year in 2007. I have two more questions: 1) I have read somewhere that we qualify for $5000 treaty exemption even after our status...

Canada China Tax Treaty [ 1 Answers ]

I'm currently working in Taiwan and I'm a Canadian citizen. I'm filing my taxes and I believe Taiwan to be under the current tax treaty between China and Canada as Taiwan is still a member of the Republic of China, therefore I need to know what percentage of my income is exempt under the tax...

US-China treaty and form 8843 [ 1 Answers ]

I graudated from college last yar and am currently on my OPT. Questions 1) Can I file 1040 NR-EZ instead of 1040NR 2) If I want to claim the 5000 dollar tax reduction under US-China Tax Treaty 20c, shall I also file 8843 along with it? Thanks!

View more questions Search