Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ash123 Posts: 1,793, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2008, 02:21 PM
    Anti-depressants and relationships - surviving OK?
    Anyone been married happily or living happily with someone while on anti-depressants?

I ask because I wonder how effective they are, and am curious to see how people on this forum have dealt with medication and relationships...

While I do not require them, I see more and more people who are trying them...

A
    LivingtheLifeinFLA Posts: 137, Reputation: 29

Mar 10, 2008, 05:56 AM
    Ash:

2 Part Answer:

For those hurting from a breakup: I think that it depends on your personality and how much you get involved. If you are crying every day and depressed after 3-5 months then by all means go on them. But plan to wean yourself after 1 year. They will get you back on track and there is nothing wrong with a little help getting you out of the depression.

For those in a relationship: I think someone talking these for a long time frame may have some problems that need to be worked on through therapy or have chemical imbalances. So I am not sure how stable this person would be to depend on medication for their strength.

On effectiveness - yes they are, you do not care about anything. Your attitude becomes "Oh Well".
    XxRoosterXx Posts: 44, Reputation: 9

Mar 10, 2008, 06:19 AM
    I am extremely happy that I started medication. Before I was awful to be around. My wife and I argued constantly. It wasn't until therapy that I found out that it was depression that was causing my mind to control me. Originally I had no idea that an anti-depressant could help me and at first I was skeptical. I hate taking meds in general and I personally wanted to be myself without meds. I learned that with the meds I am more myself than without. It really is a medical condition. It is a chemical related problem at least with me. I would suggest that you talk with your doctor if you feel that they may be helpful. Just a word of warning, The first couple of weeks were worse for me than before. I was ready to quit all together. I stuck it out and am very happy I did. I have confidence again. I can concentrate on my work. And my wife and I have fallen in love again after almost 19yrs. Good luck to you.:)
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 09:04 AM
    I actually am not seeking meds... :-)

I am just interested in learning how people on here have done.

I have hear that over time they lose their effectiveness and getting off them is very difficult with lots of side effects... but if done right, I am glad they are working!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 09:09 AM
    I have been on anti-depressants since 2001 and I'm glad that I took my doctors advice and went on them. I started because both of my parents were diagnosed with cancer and dies 6 1/2 months apart from each other. My prescription is fairly mild and if used under a doctors supervision (which I am) is harmless.

LivingthelifeinFla - My attitude is not "Oh well" in fact my attitude is great. I love my life and I'm a better person because of the meds.

There is nothing wrong with getting medication to help you. Depression is a very real medical concern and people who suffer from it shouldn't be made to feel ostracized because of it.
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 09:15 AM
    What were you prescribed?

I have had friends try paxil and lexapro - and has been mostly effective
    Pets Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 09:25 AM
    I'm on Citalopram otherwise known as Celexa. It's a mild anti-depressant and I have found it to be very effective.
    XxRoosterXx Posts: 44, Reputation: 9

Mar 10, 2008, 11:58 AM
    I am taking Zoloft and Wellbutrin. The Wellbutrin is to counteract the sexual side affects and the sleepless nights that were caused by the Zoloft. I don't quite understand how it does that but so far it seems to have helped in those regards.:cool:
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 01:52 PM
    Any side effects of taking 2 meds?
    CaribMan Posts: 45, Reputation: 5

Mar 10, 2008, 03:58 PM
    Personally I know everyone is different and has different ways of dealing with their problem. Some people like my cousin clam up to any problem he faces, and has to take meds all the time... personally there is noting more satisfying than dealing with your problems yourself
    Pets Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 04:21 PM
    There is nothing wrong with taking anti-depressants to help you through depression. For me it was because of allot of S**t hitting the fan in a very short time. Both my parents died of cancer within 6 1/2 months of each other, I took care of them both while they were battling this disease. The next year my mother-in-law had a major heart attaché, months later she broke her hip, a year later she broke her hip again, then I had a miscarriage and almost died, last March my mother-in-law died, we're still battling with my sister-in-law over the will.

Don't judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 05:55 PM
    I take Effexor-XR, have for just over a year now. I had been trying to handle the stress I'd been under for years on my own. (breakup of marriage, relocation with two kids as a single parent, death of both parents within 18 months, a daughter from hell) I couldn't believe how much calmer I was on the Effexor and have recently reduced my dosage by half (now on 37.5mg/day) and still feel calm.
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 06:57 PM
    Sounds like a great relief... Are you back in a relationship?
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 07:03 PM
    I am. We were one of the thousands that got married on 07-07-07. Should be lucky, eh? :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Stop taking anti-depressants [ 6 Answers ]

I have been on the low dose emsam patch for two months. Before that I was on a variety of anti-depressants. I want to get off these meds but my Dr. keeps putting me on something else. I plan to stop the emsam patch and I am not going to ask him about it. I forget and take it off at night 1/2 the...

Anyone know anything about anti-depressants? [ 10 Answers ]

My doctor recommended them to me but I'm really scared of using them. Does anyone know any possible side effects they may have (ex. Prozac)

My solution to surviving a break up [ 2 Answers ]

OK picture the scene, you and your loved one have just split up, you're a mess, you got no direction in life and you feel hollow. Now we all know the best advice is no contact and keep busy but sometimes that's harder done than said. Ive come up with a solution though, you want no contact and...

Anti-Depressants effect on sex drive and orgasms [ 5 Answers ]

So, my boyfriend and I have been together for about 6 months now. I am 22 and he is 25. We have a long distance relationship (only about a 2 hour drive) so I only get to see him on the weekends. When we first started having sex it was AMAZING! We both wanted it all the time (and he lasted a long...

What's the best Anti Spyware and the best Anti Virus? [ 4 Answers ]

Just curious as to what works best for you? Take care, Happy Holidays to you and yours

View more questions Search