Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seesbeyond Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 10:02 AM
    My Dog Won't sleep through the night!
    We have 2 dogs. Our little female Papillon sleeps though the night great! We have crates in our room for the 2 dogs. Our little male Pap won't sleep through the night. They are both treated the same during the day, both go to bed at the same time. But the male gets up every 1 1/2 hours to 3 hours and wants to go outside or play. I take him out to do his business, then put him back to bed, no treats, no playtime to try to get him to see it is sleep time.. he just won't get it! Please help!!
    rachel101 Posts: 77, Reputation: 19

Mar 9, 2008, 12:00 PM
    I'm not a dog expert or anything but I do currently have 3 of them and I've found that if I take my lab out every time she goes to the door and asks to go out then she would ask every 20 minutes or so, yet when I'm gone from the house for a 10 hour stretch she doesn't have a problem waiting for me to get home.
    I would say that if your male cannot make it through the night without having an accident in his crate then he has a medical problem. If he can make it through the night then it's just a case of him telling you he wants to keep playing and running the show and as long as you keep allowing him to do that... he will keep doing it. Have you tried just ignoring him and letting him learn that the behavior he's practicing will not get him out for play time in the middle of the night?
    seesbeyond Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 12:51 PM
    That would be great if he didn't sleep right next to me.. he yelps and yelps till I let him out. If I put the crate in a different room he howls and wakes up the whole house. When he was a puppy, I expected him to go out more often.. and again, I do not play with him or give him treats. He is to go out do his business, come in and go straight back to bed.
    But thank you for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by rachel101
    I'm not a dog expert or anything but I do currently have 3 of them and I've found that if I take my lab out every time she goes to the door and asks to go out then she would ask every 20 minutes or so, yet when I'm gone from the house for a 10 hour stretch she doesn't have a problem waiting for me to get home.
    I would say that if your male cannot make it through the night without having an accident in his crate then he has a medical problem. If he can make it through the night then it's just a case of him telling you he wants to keep playing and running the show and as long as you keep allowing him to do that....he will keep doing it. Have you tried just ignoring him and letting him learn that the behavior he's practicing will not get him out for play time in the middle of the night?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My baby won't sleep at night. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 5 week old baby girl and she is totally mixed up with her days and nights. She will sleep all day and be up all night. I try to keep her up during the day but it is like she goes into a coma or somethimg. She will not wake up. At night you could slightly move and she is wide awake. ...

My puppy won't sleep through the night [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 4 month old Parson Russell Terrier. He sleeps in a crate which he is OK with as he will go in his crate during the day no problem. My husband goes to bed around 1am and takes the dog out for toilet before going to bed but at exactly 3am each night the dog starts to bark. I always give in...

My 2yr old won't sleep through the night [ 5 Answers ]

:( Is there anyone that would know how to get my little girl to sleep through the night. We have tried everything that we can think of. She did sleep through the night at one point and time but she hasn't for about 6 months and its getting toward where she wants to just play at night. What can I...

5yo Dog won't sleep through the night [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 5yo Westie/ Shi Tzu Mix. She slept in her crate until about 6 months ago. Since then she comes into my bed at night time. The problem is that she gets out of bed anywhere from 1-10 times during the night. She doesn't have to go potty, she gennerly wants to go into the living room or just...

My one year old won't sleep at night! [ 3 Answers ]

Justyc was going through a stage where he would sleep from about 8 or 9 till midnight then be awake for an hour and go back to bed. As time went on the span he was awake from midnight gradually got longer. He is now to the point where he doesn't actually sleep for a long period. I have tried...

View more questions Search