Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tbakry Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2008, 04:19 PM
    How do I import data in SQL Server Management Studio Express 2005
    I am still a bit of a noob with SQL, but, when I use Enterprise Manager with my SQL 2000 server at the office, it is pretty simple to import data from pretty much any data source. I have not been able to locate the Transform facility in the 2005 express software that I downloaded onto my home PC (to help me learn SQL). Did I not install something that I need? Or am I just missing what I am looking for? The net question is, how do I import data?

Thanks,

Tom
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Mar 11, 2008, 08:40 PM
    If you are using the MSDE at home, you will not be able to do much through a MMC Snapin such as the Enterprise Manger for SQL.

However, not all is lost. You can still connect to your database via an ODBC connection using the SQL driver. You can connect to your data using MS Access or even Excel. Once you are able to access the data, you can import data using the MS Access import utilities. You can place data into your tables from CSV text files, Excel spreadsheets, other Access tables, etc. If you like this method, you can use it to do the same with your SQL Server tables.

The Management Studio is primarily geared towards DB management, security and maintenance. Data import/export is not the strong point.
    katmaiguy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2008, 08:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tbakry
    I am still a bit of a noob with SQL, but, when I use Enterprise Manager with my SQL 2000 server at the office, it is pretty simple to import data from pretty much any data source. I have not been able to locate the Transform facility in the 2005 express software that I downloaded onto my home pc (to help me learn SQL). Did I not install something that I need? or am I just missing what I am looking for? The net question is, how do I import data?

Thanks,

Tom
    SQL 2005 express is free and can connect to other data sources with no problem.

Email me at [email protected] if you need help with SQL 2000/2005. I am always glad to give back to the user community.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I import old Outlook Express files onto new Vista Computer [ 2 Answers ]

I have a new computer and would like to import old email files and my address book from Outlook Express onto Microsoft Email. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Jean

Import messages from Outlook Express 6 to Vista Windows Mail [ 6 Answers ]

I have got a new laptop with MS Vísta and Windows Mail. My old PC had Outlook Express 6. Now I want to import the OE catalogs into Windows Mail. I have copied the DBX-files to a usb-stick. I let Windows Mail try to import them by the files/import function. But the DBX-files cannot be found. How...

SQL Server [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I can find a bit of a tutorial on the web about creating a database in SQL server 2000?

View more questions Search