Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coberuk Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2006, 07:45 PM
    Training to lie down
    We are trying to get our 3 1/2 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback to stay down. She will sit on command and she will lie down if we are using a treat reward but she will not stay lying down. With a treat in my palm I will slowly drop my hand to the floor and then away from her and give the command down followed by the command to stay. She will follow my hand but the moment she get the treat she sits back up. If I keep saying stay and don't give the treat she will stay down but only until she gets the treat or until she gives up and then it is right back to sitting. How do I get her to stay in the lying down position. We went to a puppy class and the instructor actually held her paws down and had a elbow in her back to stop her from getting up. She had a complete fit and was yelping and crying like she was being murdered even though she was not being hurt at all. It was not pleasant for the dog or us and it didn't work either. Any suggestions?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2006, 08:51 PM
    You may be over using the treats. Try it without the treat, or hold the treat until you release the dog with OK or free dog. Make eye contact with the dog, and call its name and ''down!'' it a quiet, but firm voice. Hold your hand out, palm down. Do not repeat the command, just hold eye contact. Gently pull him down by the forearms if you have to. Praise him once down. Eye contact is very important.

You may have to go to calming and settling him first. Likely he is big enough now to use placing him on the floor on his side with his legs away from you. Use your hands on his neck shoulder area and middle to hold him in that position. When he is quiet, praise him. When he accepts that position well, handle his paws and muzzle, while keeping him quiet.

The settle is like a down stay, but not the same. It must be done on leash. Encourage him onto a down. He can be on his side or belly. Anchor the leash with your foot so the puppy can't get up. If he is quiet, praise him. If he struggles, keep him anchored until he stops struggling. Stay calm. At least wait for a brief pause, and then release him. Repeat until he will stay quiet for 30-60 seconds. All these may work better when the puppy is tired.

You are dealing with a big boy, and perhaps a difficult one at that. Some dogs are just more of a challenge than others. I think you would do well to pick up a copy of The art of Raising a Puppy by the Monks of New Skete, http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/ I am sure there are many other excellent books out there, but I know the Monks' books are great.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2006, 07:00 AM
    Hi,
    Training to lie down, then stay there are two different things, as you stated in your question.
    Here is a link with some good suggestion as to how to get her to stay down:
    http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-...and/page1.aspx

At the site, scroll on down to the "stay" heading.
    I do wish you and she the best, and remember, patience is the key. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Training for 5K [ 2 Answers ]

I've reluctantly agreed to do a 5K one month from today- I'm overweight (5' 5" and 170lbs:( ) and very out of shape so I need to start training. Any suggestions on how to start? Currently the only exercise I get outside of normal daily activities of caring for a home and 2 small children is...

Cardio Training [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I can currently jog 2.5 miles at 7.5 MPH with minimal difficulty. I am an 18 yr. old male athlete (baseball), and I am seeking to obtain maximum cardiovascular training. Can anyone recommend a (proven) regimen for me to follow? Many thanks :-) Mark R.

Job training [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Ghanaian and completed my Tertiary education in 2004,had done my national service.I have had a hard time finding job because I am told during interview that I have no job training. I did mechanical eng. Ples help me out Nat

Leash training [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know at what age to begin leash training with a puppy... I actually started my 12 week Chihuahua in the kitchen and rewarding him when he walks with the leash. When I get him outside he's OK for about 5 minutes and then all the sudden he begins to tug and cry so I immediately take the...

Training [ 2 Answers ]

I have a five year old lab and golden retriver mix. I have a problem with him listening to me outside. He listens good to commands inside but when I take him out or he breaks loose he will not come back to me. I have never hit or abused him . I don't know what to do about it. He knows what...

View more questions Search