Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DadStepsUp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Mom steps down!
    My 13 year old son was kicked out of his moms house after she was unable to place him in an orphanage/group home. He is not a bad kid and has never been in trouble with the law. He was sent to live with a family member and when I found out I went and picked him up and he has been with me ever since. Every time he speaks with her on the phone she upsets him so much it takes me a couple of hours to calm him down. My question is By kicking him out is she guilty of abandonment? Note: she sees him about once a month for an hour or two.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2008, 12:18 PM
    Welcome to AMHD. She may be guilty of something. Does she have others? And, what state?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 8, 2008, 12:46 PM
    Most likely, and several other issues, ( assuming she has legal custody)

So you need to file for full custody of the child, and can also ask for child support
    DadStepsUp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2008, 02:00 PM
    To the best of my knowledge she does not have any other children. We have joint custody and she is currently the custodial parent. I intend to file for sole custody and child support by state guidelines. It should be noted that I was not always a good involved dad but thought I was doing right by my son and always paid my support.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 8, 2008, 09:43 PM
    As we have seen many times on this board situations can go to the extreme rather quickly. You need to make that filing right away because depending how your papers are currently written then she in theory could show up at your door with police and take him from you. You need to be aware of that so Im not sure if when you file you can get emergency orders in place.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 8, 2008, 10:18 PM
    Go for custody and child support ASAP, as I think it odd she would not call you before placing him elsewhere. What's up with that?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mom and Step mom in hate! [ 6 Answers ]

My mom and step mom are not getting along. It all started with a stupid gift card! Out of all things. My card only had $3.45 on it and my brother only had $.19 on his. The cards were soposed to have $20.00 on it. My mom and step mom live one house away from each other and then they just get into...

Steps to take. [ 9 Answers ]

Sorry not yelling at anyone Ok i have a real big problem... i have a really bad temper... when i don't get my way i get really mad... i then think of things to hurt that persons feelings when i don't get my way or i break things (last time i broke my cell phone wasn't good)... mainly my...

Next steps? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I will try to be as succinct as possible with respect to the facts of my case. As the result of a lawsuit that was filed against me in New York, I sent the debt collection a demand for a Bill of Particulars. The debt collector that is suing me inherited the debt via assignment from...

What steps do I need [ 5 Answers ]

I am 8 months pregnant. The father does not want anything to do with the baby. He has denied the child in the past, but is now willing to give up parental rights. He resides in New York and I in West Virginia. Does he need to sign the birth certificate? What other steps are involved with him...

View more questions Search