Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    designgal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2004, 12:30 PM
    Annoying Neighbor!
    I need some advice!! We are new in our neighborhood, and we have become social with our neighbors behind us. However she has become a burden. There are times she is in our back yard raking up leaves and pulling weeds and I can't even work in my garden without her coming out of the house and wanting to talk for 2 hours and asking to help. But when she helps she tells me what to do. In the past week she has mentioned a tree that needs to be cut down and today I looked out my window and saw her and her husband planning to cut down our tree. I decided to take a shower with my husband to cool off and while doing so I suddenly hear "you two quit playing around in there" through our bathroom window. I just about died... so we yelled we are washing the dogs. 5 minutes later my hubby sneezed and we hear "bless you" I stormed out of the shower and looked for her she was sitting on our front step waiting for us. I ignored her and went back in the shower, a few minutes later I hear "hey I have a question for you guys." My husband yelled "Go back home and we will talk later" She just doesn't get the point, what do we do?
    artistall Posts: 88, Reputation: 5

Aug 27, 2004, 09:35 PM
    Re: Annoying Neighbor!
    It's incredible how some people need to "get a life". Really though I'm wondering if you have a fence. That would be my first purchase. Without a fence you really have a problem having an established boundary. If you can't get a fence then you need to plant Boxwood bushes along the entire perimeter of your property! These people have no business on your property and have no business trimming your tree or bushes. In fact if they cut your tree down you need to call the police and file a report and then a lawsuit which will get them off your back forever. Right now You both need to take a firmer stance and nip it at the bud. When they offer to do something just say "Listen I dont mean to be rude and please don't take this personal but my husband and I really would prefer to be left alone." and "We need our Privacy"and "Please don't come onto my property without permission, here is my number please call me first." When you are working in the garden and she comes over just tell her calmly "Listen (name) I would really like to have some time alone today" After your story I feel really lucky because I have a 6 ft high cement block wall around my whole yard. I wish you the best of luck with these lonely neighbors! So let me know what you think! Feel free to write!
    Plumbpudding Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2004, 04:53 PM
    Annoying Neighbor!
    Designal - do hope you won't mind if I send off a copy of your post to several of my friends. I mean it was just too too funny or is it that I have a weird sense of humour. The "bless you" part sent me into convulsions.

I say keep the relationship up with those neighbours of yours--eventually you'll get a book out of it. It just might be worth the hassle ;D
    amySlater Posts: 31, Reputation: 0

Dec 26, 2004, 09:02 PM
    Are you still sane?
    It sounds to me that you have yourself a classic case of the neighbors from hell. By any chance do you live in North Carolina? I have had this type of problem over and over and over again in the Tarheel state. I had a lady who would take my laundry off the line if I left it hanging while I went to the store. I had a landlady that would do my dishes and empty my ashtrays while I was at work and several other episodes all in the same county in North Carolina. If you can establish some boundries it would be good if you don't send them away entirely. This type of nosey neighbor comes in real handy if you go on vacation or are away on business a lot because it will be the neighborly thing to do for them to keep an eye on your house while you are gone. These type of neighbors are also good to invite to painting paties, porch building events and anything that involves physical labor that you do not enjoy. It may also be helpful if you and your husband take turns blaming one another for not wanting company. If you truly have no interest in making friends with these overly friendly folks, then hurry and go postal on them so as not to leave them thinking that you somehow "owe" them something.
    Amy
    badharrasment Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2010, 05:32 PM
    Next time she comes on your property try asking her nicely to leave and if she comes back try getting tough you and your husband have everyright to be alone and when you ask her to leave the property try saying that you will go there and talk if this continues warn her that if she sets foot on your property again that you will sue her
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2010, 08:36 AM

Putting up the fence is the best idea. Otherwise you have to just be flat out honest and tell her to stop intruding on your privacy and property. I like the other ideas offered but would not give her a phone number - she'll abuse the privilege and call incessantly.
    Susanpong Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2010, 11:17 AM
    You and your husband get your revenge just by doing the same thing and if they ask you to leave tell them that : what lah you guys also do this well just (bad word) you you just love to play you better get out of this neighbourhood!
    boozoo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2012, 07:37 PM
    Designgal: I thought we had the same neighbor... She is a lonely woman with no life. She is good looking and energetic. But always has a question, problem, planning some event. I mention I think I may do this or that and the next time I see her she has it planned in detail. She comments on my mail and feels free to walk in with my company when they arrive. She questions anyone working on my property to do something for her. She copies what I do. I am a new widow and it is nice to be able to walk over for a chat and a glass of wine but I guess I can't have it both ways.
    PS she gives my bro-in-law a honey-do list to when he comes 2 or 3 times a year. Can't anyone just say NO?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friend being harassed by neighbor [ 20 Answers ]

I have a friend in my neighborhood who is being harassed by his next door neighbor. He's calling the city on all kinds of violations ( some warranted), he looks into my friends home, spies on his wife, peeks over his fence, and is generally making his life miserable. Has anyone else had a neighbor...

Neighbor problems and out of money! [ 9 Answers ]

Please bare with me if I have posted in the wrong forum. I'm in desperate need of some help or advice!! Five years ago we bought our rural house on 5 acres. Our property runs lengthwise and there is no one around except for 1 neighbor about 400 feet behind us. From the day we moved in problems...

Is your neighbor a criminal? [ 36 Answers ]

Hello: Do you think the government has any clue about what it does?? Recently, the state of Washington made playing online poker a felony. Yup – a class C felony, just like sex offenders. Now, I would like you to think about this for a minute. Here we have, let's say 1,000 ordinary...

Bad neighbor etiquette [ 9 Answers ]

My house is in a thick forest in Florida and we are experiencing a severe drought this year. Wildfires are common. Friday night my neighbor held a Memorial Day party that was, for lack of a better word to describe it, like Hee Haw revisited. I don't mind the loud music or beer-lagered guests or...

Neighbor boy harassing my daughter [ 7 Answers ]

My neighbor is 15 years old, and his mouth is atrocious. He calls my 12 year old daughter the filthiest names, which embarrass her, since he does this when she is with her girlfriends. His parents make him apologize, but then it happens again and again. This has been going on for 4 years. Since...

View more questions Search