Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mistymary Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2006, 04:27 PM
    Trouble wiring ceiling fan to light!
    Novice here..
    But I've done this before but can't get it rite this time.. URG...
    Have to replace the chain on ceiling fan.. fan works fine but no lite.. removed old chain but can't seem to get wires wired rite and can't get the lites to work.. The white wires are all set but don't know which of the four blacks go to the chain wires.Two blacks to each of the wires from the chain?? can anyone help?? :mad:
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2006, 09:25 AM
    The light kit should be able to detach from the bottom of the fan, you should be able to trace each black wire from each lamp socket, each of these wires go together along with one wire from the pull chain switch. This should leave you one wire, maybe black, usually blue, which is the feed from the top of the fan where is attaches to the ceiling and splices to the building wiring.

This wire should be hot with 120 volts, this one wire will connect to the other wire left at the light pull chain switch.

Be sure to shut off the power to the fan to avoid working with live wires.

Hope this helps.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2006, 07:34 PM
    Did the posted advice work? If not, who made the fan and/or light? Some brands are wired differently.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling light wiring? [ 6 Answers ]

I just purchased two ceiling lights at Home Depot and when I got them home I noticed a warning on the box that said " use supply wire rated at 90 C, most homes built before 1985 use 60 C wire". My home was built in 1971. How do I tell if my wiring is okay. I checked the wire sheathing and the...

Trouble with ceiling fan on a dual fan/light dimmer switch [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new Harbor Breeze ceiling fan and dual fan/light dimmer, also from Harbor Breeze. Unfortunately, now I'm scratching my head... Do I have a bad dimmer switch? Here's the problem: 1. The light will turn on only when the fan speed on the wall switch is set to high. 2. When...

Wiring a Ceiling Fan (w/light) [ 5 Answers ]

I just moved into a new house and I'm installing ceiling fans. I've installed 4 other ceiling fans with no issues and on my last one I'm scratching my head. For each fan I'm installing a switch with a separate fan and light controller on the wall (side by side sliders). There are 3 wires on...

Fluorescent light trouble [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a newby, and I recently added 2 fluorescent ceiling lights in the garage. I'd like to know what would cause both lights to go out when the weather is cold, and both to come back on when it warms up? Thanks!

View more questions Search