Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    resinger Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2008, 04:10 PM
    Funeral etiquette
    Is it acceptable to place a "donations" box out at a funeral service?
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2008, 04:13 PM
    From what I've seen at the funerals I've been to, most of the time there is a "gathering" of some sort after the funeral. I personally think the donations would be more appropriate gathered at this time, rather than the funeral itself.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 7, 2008, 04:13 PM
    I don't think a donations box is acceptable at a funeral service and I doubt the funeral home would allow that, and in fact, proper etiquette would be better referred to them. Normally that information is put in the obit, as 'dontations may be made to the cancer society' etc.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 7, 2008, 08:48 PM
    Most funeral homes have envelopes for people to put cash or checks in it, instead of flowers. Often they will also add a charity, so the money given is supposed to be given to that charity in their name. Normally the funeral director will have the next of kin these at the end of the funeral.

This is a common practice and I have seen it in every funeral home I have ever been at.
    nicki143 Posts: 187, Reputation: 22

Mar 8, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Every funeral I have been to there has been a collection plate it has always been for a charity same as flowers some say no flowers please all donations to a certain charity.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 8, 2008, 07:10 PM
    I didn't have one at my moms funeral and the funeral parlour never suggested this. There wasn't one several years ago at my father in laws funeral, etc. etc. Maybe we do this differently in Canada. I would have considered it in poor taste to have anything like that my moms funeral.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Funeral Expense Etiquette [ 5 Answers ]

Our mother recently passed away. We have a pianist from our church and a soloist. Should we send money to these people or will they feel offended? Is a thank you card enough? utstark

When to take children to a funeral? [ 2 Answers ]

At what age do you feel its appropriate to take a child to a funeral of a distant relative whom they've only met a couple of times?

The Funeral [ 4 Answers ]

A man was leaving a café with his morning coffee when he noticed a most Unusual funeral procession approaching the nearby cemetery. A long black Hearse was followed by a second long black hearse about 50 feet behind The first. Behind the second hearse was a solitary man walking a Pit-bull on a...

Not going to a funeral? [ 6 Answers ]

So my "best" friend and I haven't really been getting along lately. I really think that it's the turning point in our lives (going to college) and we're going separate ways. We just seem to be changing really fast, or it's just me. Her cousin committed suicide and she doesn't want to go to the...

Banning some one from a funeral [ 1 Answers ]

I am not sure if this is where I should be posting? My daughters husbands father is very ill he is going into hospice, his wife the step mother is evil she is constently harassing the kids she is telling them that they can not see his father now or come to the wake or funeral when he passed. We...

View more questions Search