Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Noxest Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2008, 01:24 PM
    Paycheck Without Tax Withheld
    Hi guys:

My employer gave me checks with no tax of any kind being withheld, no social security, no health-care, no Medicare, nothing. My question is: is it illegal to earn income without paying taxes to the government?

I earned very little, about $3000 a year since this is only a part time job. Please help me, I don't want to get in trouble with the IRS.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 7, 2008, 01:27 PM
    If no taxes were withheld, either you didn't earn enough to make the withholding tables, you are an independent contractor or you are paid off the books.

Did he give you a W2 or 1099 for last year?

Mar 7, 2008, 01:28 PM
    Yes, he did gave me an W - 2 form.

Mar 7, 2008, 01:31 PM
    And did the W2 list what he paid and that no taxes were withheld? If so, then YOU are in the clear. However, he may be in trouble for not withholding. In the meantime you can just use the W2 to file your return. With so little income you may not owe any taxes.

Mar 7, 2008, 01:41 PM
    In the W - 2 form, only the first box (Wages, tips, other compensation) has number on it (below $3000), the rest are blank. So that mean I'm clear, right?

Mar 7, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Yep

Mar 7, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Thanks Scott, I appreciate your answers.
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Mar 7, 2008, 07:58 PM
    You also might want to check your W-4 form to make sure it is filled out correctly or you could owe more next year.

Just a thought.

Shirley
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 8, 2008, 06:00 AM
    An employer is required to withhold social security and medicare taxes, and this does not depend upon what is claimed on W4.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2008, 06:11 AM
    I earned very little, about $3000 a year since this is only a part time job.
    Here is your answer. Evidently you fall under the ceiling where employers are required to withhold Federal Income tax, social security, medicare, etc. To save themselves the expense and red tape, your employer has not done so. Evidently you also live in a state where employers are likewise not required to withhold state taxes on small earning amounts (or maybe your state has no income tax.) However, you are still required to pay taxes. You need to file Form 1040 (or you may be eligible to use one of the shorter forms, 1040A or 1040 EZ.) This is for the purpose of reconciling what you earned, what your tax due is and therefore how much you owe. You can do so on line, probably for free ; check out taxfreedom.com (this is a free version of TurboTax for taxpayers earning less than $30,000 per year.) If your state has an income tax, you'll likewise need to file the appropriate form and reconcile your earnings and taxes owed. You'll need to check out the procedures for your particular state. I would imagine that they likewise have a similar online form that can be utilized.

Mar 8, 2008, 06:12 PM
    I went to a tax agency and talked to an accountant. He told me that I do not own the government any taxes since I made below $8000. He also said that I do not need to file tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paycheck without Tax Withholding, how can I pay the tax? (Chinese F1 student on CPT) [ 8 Answers ]

I am currently doing an intern holding F-1 visa and on CPT in New York state. My employer didn’t withhold any tax from my paycheck. She said I am treated as an independent contractor. My income in the CPT period will be $4800, according to 1040-ES (NR), the tax will be $4800*10%=480, which is...

Local income tax wrongly withheld [ 2 Answers ]

Hi My employer has wrongly withheld my local income tax for some other county rather than the one I am living in. what are the implications for these? My w2 also shows the wrong county. What should I do? I have not received any final return from county office too? Please help Regards

Taxes withheld from paycheck [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody know the perentage of income taxes to be withheld from paychecks? I am also looking for the percentage to be withheld from social security and medicare taxes as well. Thanks in advance for the help. Edwina

Federal & State tax not withheld by employer [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, One of my friend's employer didn't withheld federal & state tax for the entire year 2006. Now his current year's tax is around $3,000. Last year's tax was around $275. I want to know, whether he is supposed to pay any penalty or interest? If yes, then is there any option for paying...

Paycheck Tax Exempt [ 2 Answers ]

I Heard That You Can Claim Tax Exemption For A Few Paychecks A Year. Is This True? Will The Money That Is With Held During The Year Be Deducted From My Annual Tax Return?

View more questions Search