Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pie812 Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2008, 11:17 AM
    2 Strokes vegatable state
    My grandmother had a stroke about 1 year and a half ago, it was mild so she just needed a bit of rehabilitation. After a few months she then had another stroke which left her in a vegatable state. She was at a hospital that didn't take the best care of her which caused her to get ganggrene and lose her leg from the knee down.

She is 78 years old and it seems there's no hope for her to get well again, so I was wondering how long she'll have to suffer like this? I don't like to see her like this and I know she doesn't want to live like that.

Any information will be great
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2008, 03:07 PM
    I would sue that hospital first off for the negligence.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 7, 2008, 03:11 PM
    There is no telling how long she will or will not live. That is up to her to be honest with you. I would, however, find an attorney specializing in medical malpractice to see if you can sue that facility as well as the nurses who were supposed to be taking care of her.

This happens more than you want to know in rehab centers and nursing homes.
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2008, 03:13 PM
    Yeah there is no excuse for people to get bedsores or gangrene like that, they should be checking her limbs, back, etc. every day and washing her with a warm clean towel daily as well, that is most definitely negligence and you should not let them get away with it.
    Expert

Mar 7, 2008, 03:18 PM
    Charlotte, have you ever worked in a nursing home or long-term care facility?

While it is not impossible, it is hard to take care of every patient, turn them ALL every 2 hours, bathe every one, hand out meds, change linens... especially when you are understaffed.

Many of these people come to the units already with pressure ulcers that are so far gone they will never heal 100%.

Certain ailments, such as diabetes, predispose some people to pressure ulcers much quicker than the healthier people.

Unfortunately, sometimes it is just unavoidable.
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2008, 04:23 PM
    Not in a nursing care facility, but I've spent time in hospital, and I know it is hard to care for all the patients, but there isn't any excuse for them to let her develop gangrene and not do anything about it, so unless it was a condition they couldn't have prevented, I really do think they are at fault.
    Expert

Mar 7, 2008, 04:25 PM
    It could have happened before she reached the particular facility in question. We don't know the particulars.

Once a pressure ulcer develops it never heals back to 100% again. NEVER.

And, as I said, certain illnesses can cause it to happen extremely rapidly, like diabetes or inadequate tissue perfusion.

Mar 11, 2008, 04:59 AM
    Actually my father IS suing the nursing home and they were guilty because they were well aware of the gangrene and as we thought it was a bedsore wrapped up and trusted the nursing home - when we unwrapped her foot to check on it, it was actually gangrene.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 19, 2008, 05:07 AM
    So where was the doctor assigned to the nursing home while all this was going on? Someone in authority must have ordered some kind of treatment the nurse and/or PSWs were following.
    marbelle Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2008, 12:43 AM
    As everybody knows nurses shortages are all over the world plus the fact that nurses are not well compensated (business schools get more admission than nursing schools). You can consult a legal nurse consultant if you want to press charges against the hospital that took care your grandma. But right now I think you and the other members of the family should focus on improving your grandma's health condition and quality of life. If she is at home or in a nursing home, make sure that she receives the medical help she needs. She might be both diabetic and hypertensive, the reason of her 2nd stroke might be due to her not well controlled diabetes or high blood pressure. Another advice that could be helpful is that in the patient care plan make sure that you as a family member should be actively involved, ask questions if you have to and make sure that the health team who is taking care of the patient knows what they are doing. Always remember, in every step of patient care the family should be notified or included in the plan except of course on an emergency situation.
    Expert

Apr 11, 2008, 03:16 AM
    A review of the care plan should occur every six months with the immediate family, major care giver attending with the head nurse and PSWs immediately responsible for the patients care. This way any medical issues can be addressed. An up date of meds administered, new ones proposed and any physical needs of the patient addressed. This should be a mandate in any long term care facilitiy.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2008, 08:22 AM
    Does she have a living will in place which would "let her go" in case she had another problem health wise that comes along? She could last months in that condition or years.

Apr 14, 2008, 06:06 AM
    My grandmother is in incredible care now that she is out of the care of that terrible nursing home. She had one leg amputated due to gangrene, and the other foot was getting it as well. The hospital she's currently in now has been giving her the antibiotics she needed for it and where the gangrene was is just a calus, and they keep her clean and comfortable. They keep in touch and let us know how she is doing every week because we live in NY and she's in NJ. The other nursing home didn't even tell us about the gangrene, and when we found out - they already knew about it. We are pressing charges but it is a long and painful process, which we aren't worried about - we are just glad my grandmother's in better care, even though she doesn't want to be living like this in the first place.
    Expert

Apr 14, 2008, 07:42 AM
    Thank you so much for the update, pie, I am glad your g.mother is more comfortable now, and in better care, but the hospital isn't a long term care facilitiy. Where will she be golng after the hospital?

Apr 14, 2008, 10:05 AM
    Well the thing is she has the trach, so we can't have her home. She has to stay in the hospital with hopes she'll get better, but to be honest I don't see that happening. I hate to say it, she was always my best friend growing up and when I visit it's hard because she used to be so jubulant and talkative, its not the same. But she does have to stay in the hospital, there's no saying where she'll be in a few months, to be honest...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 12, 2008, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pie812
    Well the thing is she has the trach, so we can't have her home. She has to stay in the hospital with hopes she'll get better, but to be honest I dont see that happening. I hate to say it, she was always my best friend growing up and when I visit it's hard because she used to be so jubulant and talkative, its not the same. But she does have to stay in the hospital, there's no saying where she'll be in a few months, to be honest...

They won't let her come home with a trach? Must vary from State to State or insurance carrier to insurance carrier because they would have let my husband come home with a trach. Of course, a visiting nurse would have had to come in twice a week (2 or 3 times, I can't remember). The papers were in the process early in his hospitalization.
    Expert

May 12, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Homecare from the Canadian Red Cross is a big thing in our community. Homecare being Personal Support Workers (myself) and Victoria Order of Nurses to carry on hospital care in the clients home without having to progress to a nursing home or staying in the hospital. Staying in the hospital is a drain on OHIP but PSWs and VONs aren't, so it works for rehabilitation. PSWs bath and do procedures under the direction of VONs, prepare meals (no housework), respit for caregiving families, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Strokes in old cats [ 1 Answers ]

My cat is 17yrs old and it recently came to light that she has hyperthyriodism and was given tablets for it.After 21 days on the tablets she had a stroke that was one week ago.She is on blood pressure tablets and steriod tablets now but she finds it difficult to stand and get up and down on the...

State taxes on out-of-state short-term contract [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Here's my situation. Facts: I am a consultant for company X (W-2 arrangement),which is based in New Jersey, where I was hired for a 6-month contract in New Jersey to perform work for one of their clients--company Z. I am a current resident of Arizona where I have a house and I plan...

Can wife move out of state with child after divorce and residency in state [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I are living in Ohio, have been residents for 9 months and have a 14 month old child. If we divorce and she would get custody, could she ever move out of the state

2 states: Can I credit state tax of one state to other state [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 W-2. One from job in Mass. Mass state tax is withheld in that W-2. Then I moved to NC and got a new job in NC. NC state tax is withheld in this second jobs W-2. Both W-2 only have state tax withheld from their corresponding states. So can I credit taxes of one state to another and...

Federal return collected by state for state liability [ 1 Answers ]

I live in wi and filed married jointly I owe the wisc. Dep. Of revenue money but I have paid off the IRS . I filed my fed. Return electronicly and it was accepded, can the wisc .dep. Of rev. take my fed tax return? Or will my fed return be deposited in my account that I have specified with my...

View more questions Search