Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ademan Posts: 40, Reputation: 11

Jan 30, 2006, 01:47 PM
    PHP5 MySQL Hosting
    I am looking to hopefully move my web page off my home server (when its complete) to a more capable hosting solution. All I really require of the server is that it supports PHP5 and some fairly recent version of MySQL (although I'm not particularly picky about the MySQL part). Storage and max transfer don't particularly matter at the moment because I don't expect much if any traffic, but of course, It's my hope that after a few months of little traffic I'll be able to get a solid stream of users, so a high(er) max transfer would be nice, but I'm willing to bet even if I magically got more hits than Coke, my transfer would still be relatively low, because I plan on staying strictly with HTML and minimal images.

So anyway, long story short

I require:
    - PHP5
    - Some competent version of MySQL (PostgreSQL will work too)

The following would be nice:
    - Some reasonable amount of max transfer
    - at least 100-500 mb storage

So my question really is: Does anyone know of any hosts that fit these specifications?

Thanks a lot,
    -Dan
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2006, 03:29 AM
    The features you require are common among Hosts - so be sure to do your homework on reliability and popularity.

Here are 3 "third party" review sites for you to check out for more info on the most popular ones.

hosting-review.com

thehostingchart.com

top-ten-web-hosting.com

I use lunarpages for 11 sites now. They're not the cheapest ($95 per year) but service is awesome - and they've got a great forum.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2006, 04:49 AM
    Actually Rick, PHP is common but PHP5 hosting isn't. The majority of hosts stop at PHP4 support and it makes a big difference.

If you do a search for "PHP5 hosting" in Google, you'll get a number of different suppliers. None that I am familiar with though. I don't know why a lot hosts haven't switched to PHP5 yet. I know that my host hasn't switched due to it not being declared as supported by the cPanel software they use.

My advice for now would be to go into your local newsagents and pick up a web design magazine like .net. It'll be filled with adverts and hopefully some PHP5 hosts would be listed.

I'll keep searching for now.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2006, 04:56 AM
    Good eye, LTheobald!

I learned from Lunarpages that they are testing it - confirming it's backwards compatibility and other issues before installing it to all the servers...
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Jan 31, 2006, 03:21 PM
    [QUOTE=rickj]Good eye, LTheobald!

I use Dot5hosting, have had them for years, without a problem and if you have MS Frontpage it's a snap to setup and publish your site, mine is only $4 a month.:) Excellent tech support

Jan 31, 2006, 10:52 PM
    Hrm, well the Dot5hosting looks reputable and all, but it doesn't specify what version of PHP, it simply says "PHP Support" or something similar. Do you happen to know what version it uses? Or where I could find out? (I'm opening another window for Google as I type this :-) (well no not really, but I'm about to) )

Cheers
    -Dan

Feb 1, 2006, 12:51 AM
    Found it: Here

Hope that helps other people too.

Cheers
    -Dan

PS: is it just me or is something up with the stylesheets in this forum?

Cheers
    -Dan
    marcosiino Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 02:10 AM
    I know an italian hosting called Tophost.it:

Tophost

This is a very cheap hosting with all features: the cost for complete hosting + domain is 8,99 EUR + VAT / per year (but if you are not italian I think you have not to pay VAT), and in this moment they also offer 50 EUR bonus on Google Adwords when you register your first domain or other service from they.

They offer PHP, CGI, MySQL, E-Mail and aliases, Domain (it, com, net, org, etc... ), subdomain configuration and dns configuration from control panel (you can add, for example, subdomains like yoursubdomain.yourname.com to point on the page or website you want), and many other services.

Total space offered: 200 mb (that you can divide in webspace, mysql, emails, etc... you can divide the space how you like)

Hope to be helpful
    acicomp Posts: 81, Reputation: 9

Jul 9, 2007, 06:52 PM
    I use 1and1 for all my set ups and they support php5 and mySQL.

1&1 Internet Inc. - Web Hosting Services and Domain Name Registration
    interinfinity Posts: 142, Reputation: 8

Jan 11, 2008, 04:49 PM
    I use hostgator and dws both work great
    jscott Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2008, 08:14 AM
    We use Smudge IT. A good php 5 hosting provider in the uk
    aboleth Posts: 60, Reputation: 8

May 6, 2008, 01:38 PM
    I run a hosting company, feel free to email me or send me a PM, We use cPanel and it certainly accimadtes what you need. [email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hosting advice [ 10 Answers ]

I have designed the webpage I want to use on an off the shelf package called webeasy, I have my domain name already but the hosting package offered is not that good. The website will be for property owners selling their own homes so I need quite a lot of space. I've been searching on Google all...

Php_write in php5 gives cannot read error [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have used php_write function in PHP4 and it works fine, I have updated my codes to PHP5, I have changed some codes for this and when I use this function php_write php5. Please if anybody knows why it happened help to me. Thank you

PHP5 Screwy Inherritance [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, I have this lovely situation, lets say I have 3 classes, A, B, and C. C derives from B which derives from A (extends). A defines the member function foo. B doesn't do anything regarding foo. C wants to redefine foo. QUESTION: does ignoring an inherrited member function mark it implicitly...

Web hosting companies [ 18 Answers ]

Does anyone have any suggestions for a web hosting company. I need to know the pros and cons of both. I went ona site that listed a few of them and compared them. What do you think of these if oyu know them: Powweb - www.powweb.com Ipower - ipower.com Blue host - bluehost.com

Dns hosting? [ 1 Answers ]

Please help me What is the deference between domains with "dns hosthing" or without.

View more questions Search