Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sksoman Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2008, 09:36 AM
    First Year Choice for 2007
    I was in US only for 52 days in 2007 ( Nov 11 to Dec 31). I will stay in US in 2008 at least until my 183 are over. . Also note that I was in US for 331 days and hence a resident in 2006. So am I eligible to file for first year Choice ?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 23, 2008, 11:44 AM
    Understand that First Year Choice is for filing as a dual-status aline.

You can file as a resident alien ONLY IF you are married.

Based on the facts provided, you would file as a non-resident alien.
    sksoman Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2008, 03:33 PM
    I am married. So you are sugesting that I can file for first year choice in 2007. I thought from reading IRS pub that I shouldn't be a resident in 2006 to file for first year choice.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 23, 2008, 06:21 PM
    Assuming you have a work visa and were married in 2006, then for 2006 you can file resident tax return.
    In 2007, you don't meet Substantial Presence Test, so you will file nonresident tax return. You can't make first year choice for 2007 if you file 2006 return as resident.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First Year Choice for 2007 ( Resident in 2006) [ 1 Answers ]

I was in US only for 52 days in 2007 ( Nov 11 to Dec 31). I will stay in US in 2008 at least until my 183 are over. . Also note that I was in US for 331 days and hence a resident in 2006. So am I eligible to file for first year Choice ?

First Year Choice. [ 1 Answers ]

Dear: I have one question about the first year choice, I read your post about all the issues and my doubt comes for my condition. I arrived to US in July 16th, 2007. I have not been in US before that date. I have been working with H1B status the rest of year. If I count the number of days of...

First-Year Choice 2007 [ 2 Answers ]

I arrive here in the US using H1B visa last Sept. 24, 2007. My wife and son arrived with me as well using H4. We never left the US since then. I have a SSN but my wife and son can't get one. Questions: 1) Since I did not qualify for the SPT for year 2007, I'd like to elect 2007 as my...

H1 under first year choice [ 3 Answers ]

Hi AtlantaTaxExpert, My husband and I came to the US in Dec.2002 as F1 and F2. My husband got his H1B visa Oct 1.2006 and I am H4 visa holder. We had a baby last year and he is a US citizen. I still have not ITIN number. My question is: 1.Can we wait till early June to file jointly...

What is First Year Choice [ 1 Answers ]

Atlanta Tax Expert, Thank you for your assistance. Since my wife's employer didn't withheld her Social Security and Medicare tax because they think she should be exempted from those two taxes, how can she file on her tax form about this? Does she need to pay the penalty? BTW, what's...

View more questions Search