Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    canadiangirl23 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2008, 09:08 AM
    Being stupid
    Hey,
    I was recently charged for theft way under 5000 dollars, I am so scared of going to jail because I have kids. I am only 23 and this is my first ever offence. I also live in nova scotia. If that helps any. The person from the store didn't charge me at all, but the cop said that I was being aressted for theft, but never took me to the station. That doesn't make a lot a sense to me. And I just want to know what kind of sentence I would get since it is my first ever offence. And if I would go to jail for it. Any help would be appreated
    Marriedguy Posts: 474, Reputation: 115

Mar 7, 2008, 09:59 AM
    I don't how they operate in Canada. But in the United States if you shoplift and the store owner doesn't press charges you there are no criminal charges brought against you will means there will be no jail, and no fine. It is as if the crime didn't happen.

Here in the States some police officers will put you in the police car drive around and tell you that charges could be brought against you are you could go to jail. As a scare tactic, unless your are arraigned no charges were brought against you.
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

Mar 7, 2008, 10:09 AM
    If charges were laid, you would have received papers indicating the charge. You would also have most likely been taken to the station.

Nevertheless, if you have been charged with theft under you probably wouldface no jail time. Depending on the circumastances involved you would probably receive a conditional discharge, its possible to even get an absolute discharge in some cases. A conditional discharge may include paying restitution, community service, not going into the store the theft took place, any or all of those could be imposed. Very unlikely jail time would be imposed.

Mar 12, 2008, 08:04 AM
    Thank you so much for all your help because I am so scared and worried. I also worked at the place it happened at. A lot of people have been telling that I more then likely won't go to jail, but I am still worried about it. It wasn't something that I meant to do it wasn't premetated or anything like that. I am truly sorry about what I had done. And people are telling me to ask my lawyer about diversion program. What is that. More help would be great thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 12, 2008, 08:09 AM
    Diversion, also called Alternative Measures, allows you to perform community service and restitution under probation. If you complete the process then the charges are dropped and your record will not show any conviction.

Mar 12, 2008, 10:23 AM
    Thank you everyone very much. The answers have been helpful. Any other comments would be great. As I said I am so worried. I really didn't mean to cause any trouble for anyone that is not who I am. Through out me who questioning all I could do is cry and tell them how sorry I was. I don't really know if that shows anything. I was just being really stupid and having a really hard time at home with some issues.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2008, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by canadiangirl23
    thank you everyone very much. the answers have been helpful. any other comments would be great. as i said i am so worried. i really didn't mean to cause any trouble for anyone that is not who i am. through out me who questioning all i could do is cry and tell them how sorry i was. i don't really know if that shows anything. i was just being really stupid and having a really hard time at home with some issues.

I would cross my fingers and hope no one has pressed any charges and I'd stay out of that store. If you were that upset they may figure they pretty much scared you straight.

As a side note - hardly ANYONE ever expresses any sincere remorse and so I'm impressed by your attitude. If you do end up in Court I think this will be a big point in your favor. That "hard time at home" sentence is hard to ignore.

Good luck!

(And the Canadian diversion programs are fairly liberal.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I being stupid? [ 9 Answers ]

I went out with this guy last year April and we went for six months,the relationship was good cause I used to be with this guy 24/7,he made sure that every time he came back from work he came to see me no matter what,but now ever since I've moved out things have changed between the two of us(we...

Stupid, Stupid Me. [ 13 Answers ]

So I had unprotected sex with someone I knew for a day. I am usually very good about these things but things just got out of control. She went back to the states and I haven't talked to her since nor do I have a way to. I pulled out before I finished but then we continued after that. My question...

I might be stupid. [ 6 Answers ]

Im sure that I will sound dumb after you read this... Why does my male puppy have nipples?? Told you I would sound dumb!! :o :o

I must be really stupid! [ 2 Answers ]

hey! I'm abbie I'm new @ this website I've got a test in Algebra II tmrw and my mind is completely blank! I don't remember at all how to do this problem!! Please help?! Simplify the following. 27^√18 ∙ 81^√50

View more questions Search