Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iamsandeepmenon Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2006, 12:50 PM
    3 states taxes + ITIN for wife
    Hello experts,
    I've been on H1 for the whole of 2005. I got married in Aug 2005 and my wife joined me in Nov on H4. I have three W-2 forms for three different states for 2005. Now, this is the first time I am going to do my taxes on my own. So -
    1) Do I file as "Married filing jointly" or "Head of household"?
    2) What forms do I need to fill for filing tax returns - is it 1040?
    3) I need to apply for an ITIN for my wife? What is the process for that?
    4) We also plan to try a H1 for her? So, is an ITIN necessary at all? Does she get a SSN when she moves to H1 from H4? If so, what purpose does an ITIN serve?
    5) Correct me if I am wrong, the 1040 form asks for the SSN/ITIN of the dependent. If so, what do I give there since my wife doesn't have one?

Thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    Sandeep
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2006, 03:28 PM
    SanDeep:

1) File Married Filing Jointly.

2) It will be either 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ.

3) Download Form W-7 from www.irs.gov and fill it in per the instructions. Attach it to the tax form (1040/1040A/1040EZ) and mail it to the Philadelphia PA IRS Center. The IRS personnel there will issue your wife an ITIN and fill it in on the tax form for you, then process your tax return. They will notify you by mail what her ITIN is. This is important because you must wait (6-8 weeks) for her ITIN to file your state tax return.

4) You can wait until she gets issued the SSN, but it means waiting for your tax refund. The purpose of the ITIN is to provide people who do not qualify for the SSN to have an ID number for tax purposes.

5) Leave the SSN/ITIN number blank. As noted above, the IRS personnel in the Philadelphia IRS Center will insert the ITIN when they issue it.
    iamsandeepmenon Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2006, 03:48 PM
    Thank you for your reply.
    You mentioned the form I need to fill can be either 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ. What is the criteria for that?
    And to file state tax returns, is it some other form? If so what form is that?
    And if I need to wait for my wife's ITIN before I can file state taxes, chances are that it might run past the April 15th deadline. So would I need to file for an extension?
    I would like to get more advice on this and if possible professional help this time so that I get the facts straight. Can I email you to get this done?
    Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2006, 07:43 PM
    SanDeep:

You can e-mail me at [email protected].

I need to know which state you live in.

Crtieria for 1040EZ is essentially no children and income below $100,000.

Form 1040A is for relatively simple returns for taxpayers with children.

Form 1040 is for all other taxpayers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes for married filing OPT(self), F1(wife) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a resident of India, I have been in the US from Aug 2004. My wife has been in the US since Aug 2005. I just finished my Masters and am working full time in OPT status. My wife is still in F1 status. Should my employer cut Social Security and Medicare taxes? We wanted to file in...

How do I file for taxes, my wife is on H4. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, here is the scenario: -I am on H1, and I have to file for my tax returns. -I got married last year, and my wife is in US since dec of last year. -I want to file her as an dependent while applying for tax returns, so that I can -get more returns then the normal returns. My question is,...

Filing Taxes for myself (H1) and my wife (h4) [ 1 Answers ]

In one of your previous replies you had said that for filing taxes with person with H1 and wife with H4. "Yes, she will need an ITIN. Download a W-7 from www.irs.gov, fill it out, have you wife sign it and attach a notarized copy of her passport to the W-7. Attach both to your joint tax return...

Which states I should file taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I am an MBA student ( on F1 visa) in North Carolina, and did my internship in New York during summer last year. I stayed in New Jersey while doing my internship. I also have income from working in school as well. Now, which states am I required to file taxes. Can you recommend some easy sites...

Taxes for two States [ 1 Answers ]

I have been in US from 2004 on L1 visa, and last year my company filed a return for me.I was transferred from Helena,Montana to Minneapolis and I travelled on my car and took my things along with me. By what rate I can claim the transportation.What form should I use to claim the amount. I was...

View more questions Search