Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eigenheerc Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2006, 11:37 AM
    Shower & toilet drain/vent
    I'm finishing the basement and have to add a bath tub as well as a toilet. My plan is to have a horizontal 3" tee, one side going to the toilet (about 16"), the second side to a 1 1/2" reducer which leads to the tub (about 24") and the third side ties directly into the main (vertical) 3" stack. Is that an agreeable solution? Do I need to vent the tub separately or can the main vent be used for the tub?
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 30, 2006, 11:52 AM
    I'm not sure if you can use the main soil stack to vent a fixture below other fixtures' drains - local codes may vary. Also, wet-venting rules are more strict - i.e. if you have more than a certain number of fixtures draining from above, you may not wet-vent into that pipe. You might need a separate vent pipe that ties into the main stack above all the other drains tied into the main stack, or install an AAV, if approved by your local codes.

At the very least, if you can vent through the main stack, make sure the distance to the stack does not exceed the "critical distance" for venting. Remember, the critical distance for the tub (1-1/2'" pipe) is only 3 and a half feet.

Cheers,
    Moishe
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 30, 2006, 04:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by eigenheerc
    I'm finishing the basement and have to add a bath tub as well as a toilet. My plan is to have a horizontal 3" tee, one side going to the toilet (about 16"), the second side to a 1 1/2" reducer which leads to the tub (about 24") and the third side ties directly into the main (vertical) 3" stack. Is that an agreeable solution? Do I need to vent the tub separately or can the main vent be used for the tub?
    Sorry Orville, That ain't never going to get off the ground the way you're putting it together. As long as you're going to hafta vent the group anyway, (you didn't think you could get away from using the soil stack as a vent did you?) why not figure on a lavatory,vanity or sink. Make it a bathroom group. That way the tub and stool would be wet vented by the lavatory vent, (which could be a AAV cheater vent if local code allows).
    Increase the lav and tub drain lines to 2" and make the 3" tee a 3X2" combination wye and eighth bend. Tie the tub drain into the lav drain and the lav drain into the toilet drain line and now you can connect the toilet drain back into the soil stack and be legal. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet and Shower Drain [ 6 Answers ]

Ok I recently purchased a condo and have begun remodeling the bathroom which is on the second floor. I am not very experienced with any of this and was hoping someone could tell me if what I have done so far sounds good. First Question: For the new bathroom I needed to move the toilet over 1'....

Moving drain in custom shower, whirlpool tub and toilet on concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am finalizing plans to update a master bathroom that sits on a concrete slab. My question is: can shower, whirlpool tub and toilet drain holes be moved without drilling into the concrete? If so, what is the maximum amount that the holes can be repositioned without having to drill? I would...

Basement shower drain vent? [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a basement shower which was stubbed when the floor was poured. A P trap is in the floor about 3' from the main horizontal sanitary line which goes out to the septic. I can see no vent lines and wonder if I need to vent the shower. If I do need to vent it, the vent needs to...

Toilet and Shower Drain Issue [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I moved into a brand new house 6 weeks ago. Over the last two weeks I have been having intermittent problems with the shower drain and the toilet next to it. The toilet will sometimes fill up with water whilst flushing and take quite a whil to go down to normal level. Also sometimes...

Shower drain causing Toilet overflow [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of replacing the commode in my bathroom, the old commode is removed and that leaves the toilet hole exposed, for the time being. During this time, water in the shower is turned on. The shower is about 4 feet away from the toilet. About 15 minutes later, water starts seeping...

View more questions Search