Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unicorn185315 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2008, 10:49 PM
    Business blabbermouth
    I work in a restaurant. The bookkeeper in the company tells everything she knows about payroll, raises, charges, and other stuff like that. I am sick of everyone knowing what I make per hour and when I am up for a raise. I found out that I was getting a raise from the waitress! What should I do? The boss thinks that the bookkeeper is th best thing that has ever happened.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Mar 7, 2008, 12:11 AM
    Talk to your boss about this, and tell him/her that this is a major invasion of privacy and you don't appreciate it. This is very unprofessional! And inappropriate!
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 02:56 PM
    You can talk to whomever you want, but consider the cost of getting your point across. In every single place I've ever worked there are problems, some that I could influence and some I simply couldn't.

All I'm saying is that people knowing what you make is an invasion, but it's not the end of the world. In fact, the only time I'd really be embarrassed is if I had to admit I'm underpaid. If that's true, then fix THAT. There's something worth focusing on.

Also, if the boss "loves" his accountant, you could simply be lighting a fire that will result in only one burn victim... YOU. Make sure this is REALLY worth that fight.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 05:25 PM
    It is against the law to give out your personal information to others, in fact certain personal files have to be keep separate from others, such as illness, medical and so on.

So with that you can talk to the owner or manager, now as mentioned, you are right, but then if the owner likes the book-keeper more than you, fighting for you rights often cost the person their job.

I am not saying not to, I would, but you need to know that being right is not always everything.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 05:56 PM
    It is inappropriate for her to be doing so, and if your boss has any business ethics, he would probably not like that she is doing that.
    I would tell him how you feel about it. What he does will be up to him, but at least he'll know what is going on.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Mar 11, 2008, 02:54 PM
    I've been in your situation, and it's a tough one. What she is doing is completely unprofessional and illegal. Many businesses will actually fire you if you tell other employees what you or someone else is making/getting a raise. So, I agree it's wrong and you have a right to be upset.

As to what you should do, it's a toss up. Like others on here were saying, it might cost you your job or you might face harassment at work. If you decide it is worth it to you to say something, speak to your boss and explain that this bothers you. Just try to do it in a really tactful way like saying "I really like (bookkeeper's name) and she does a wonderful job, but there is one thing that kind of bothered me. I don't want other people to know what I make and when I'm getting a raise. The thing is, I'm afraid it might make problems for me with the other employees. For example, if I get a raise before someone else, they might be jealous and resentful to me. Do you think you could talk to her and tell her in a nice way to please not tell people what I make? " That way you sound nice but are bringing it to his attention. And you are also bringing it to his attention that this could cause problems among employees if it goes on.

If you do decide to talk to him and then he starts treating you badly or fires you because you complained, talk to the local unemployment office and see if they can give you some info and help about what you should do. Good luck! I hope things work out!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2008, 08:35 AM
    Maybe make a statement like "There are confidentiality laws you know" and leave it go at that since the boss would most likely pick her over you in the long run. Or maybe find the confidentiality law and leave a copy on her desk.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 30, 2008, 09:27 AM
    Pick your battles at the work place very carefully, as even though you may be in the right, you can have repercussions, against you. What the bookkeeper is doing may be wrong, but its easier to get rid of you, as opposed to him. You can always quit, but every workplace will have something about them that you don't like, whether its people, policy, or conditions. (Or pay)
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2008, 09:40 AM
    1st I would approach the boss, I would say (waitress) told me that (bookkeeper) said I was getting a raise. Is this true? Thank the boss if he says yes.
    Then, I would walk in and make her aware that a waitress told me I was getting a raise. I would tell her in no uncertain terms that I did not want her spilling my information to the entire staff and to please stop it. I would say have a good day and go do my normal work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Business Being Named the Same as Another Business and Registering a Business [ 3 Answers ]

What if mt business name is taken and how do I register my company or business? :)

Looking for small town business-to-business service need I'm qualified for [ 5 Answers ]

I hope someone out there can help! Some entrepreneur who's already made this discovery and who can hep me do similar. Seems everything I can think of nobody would pay any $ for me to do. I am 7 yr stay at home MOM w/ 2 kids now just both in school and I really need to find work I can do to...

Business plan how to for a trucking business [ 2 Answers ]

I have a business plan outline someone gave to me. I need to make my own. I am having a real hard time. I have purchased Business Plans made EZ and it's not. How and where can I get help writing one?:cool:

Tell me some business plans of internet business [ 1 Answers ]

I am Biomedical engineer. I have interest in food, restaurants, medical equipments. Is there any business plans for me? pl. guide me

Business to business vs Business to Consumer retail [ 1 Answers ]

How does Business to business retail differ from business to consumer retail?

View more questions Search