Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SpcTeach1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2008, 06:45 PM
    Sewer smell related to tree roots?
    HI , I have a sewer smell coming out of my basement floor drain and just noticed today that it is coming out of my the vent for my downstairs bathroom. About 4 years ago we had to have the main line cleared because it was completely clogged with tree roots. Could the line be clogging again? Or is there something else I should check. The smell comes out only if you have ran water. I can actually feel a breeze coming out of the floor drain. The more water you run the smellier it seems to get. Also the floor drain is only connected to the grey water line in the house, the toilet line conncts outside the house. Also the smell doesn't come out of any other drain in the house besides the floor drain and the laundry tub drain. ( they are 2-3 ft apart). The laundry tub drain does have a trap. Please help!!
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 09:26 PM
    Yes, the roots could be back causing problems. And grey water can smell horrible at best in most cases.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 7, 2008, 06:46 AM
    The smell comes out only if you have ran water. I can actually feel a breeze coming out of the floor drain
    This tells me you have a partial blockage in the service line to the street,( most likely roots) that's sending backpressure,(sewer gas), through your floor drain as the discharge flows to the stret. This should be snaked out for a temporary repair, for a permanent repair you will have to locate and repair the break in your line. After you snake and clear the linje of roots here's a tip on controlling the root problem until you can get a permanent repair.
    RootX or Robics Foaming Root Killer that contain Dichlobrnic are two products you could try.
    A less expensive way would be to call around to garden supply stores and ask for fine grain Copper Sulphate. Put a 1/2 pound in your toilet and flush it down. Repeat in 6 months.
    Hope this helps Tom

Mar 7, 2008, 06:59 AM
    Thanks I know where about the tree roots are located, they had to dig up half the alley to remove them last time. The problem is I have to dig up a pipe in my yard to give the city acess. They have no access to my line for approx 2 1/2 blocksor more . No man holes or anything. They say that it is to far to insert a camera or anything else to see what is going on. Does anone know if the city is required to have their own access. I know all the opther houses in my town have private access clean outs and then the city house their cleanouts but not my house.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 7, 2008, 07:26 AM
    I'm confused, Are you saying that you don't have a house cleanout on your sewer line? By "city access" are you referring to man holes in the street?
    By "private access clean outs " is this just another meaning of house clean out? Please clarify. Regards, Tom

Mar 7, 2008, 08:32 AM
    I have a buried house clean out in my back yard. There are no manholes on the line, the only cleanout on the whole line is the one in my back yard. It seems that my line from my house exsists my property runs down the middle of any alley, then down another road 2 blocks, then turns and goes into the big line, where there is a man hole. My line runs out the back of the house. All the other houses on my street and in my town leave from the front of the house and connect under the front road. For some reason mine was never connected this way. I am the original house on the block so maybe that is why. But I thought they would have to have some kind of access to the (Im guessing) quarter mile of pipe under the road. The have said that all that pipe under the alley and rd is their responsibility. My responsibility ends at my property line. I am just wondering why I have to dig up my back yard to give them access when the problem is in their section of pipe. Does that make sense. I guess I feel they should have installed access when they dug the alley up years ago. I guess what I am saying is most houses have about 20 ft of pipe before the huge sewer pipe. I have about a quarter mile. It was actually pretty funny watching the city workers run to every manhole in a 3 block radius trying to find the green die they put in!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tree roots [ 2 Answers ]

At least twice a year we have a backup in basement. The backup is everything for us flushing,running water, washing clothes. We have a someone come out every time and snake out the pipes. They all ways getting the trees roots when they did that. Any ideas how we can keep the trees roots clear...

How to get rid of tree roots after you cut the tree [ 1 Answers ]

We cut down some mesquite trees a few months ago. We would like to know how we could get the stumps to rot away. They are cut ground level. Do you have any suggestions.

Tree roots [ 2 Answers ]

I have just had a tree cut down but left a 15 ft. stump and small growths are appearing in my lawn. A person at my local Home Depot said I need tree root killer to stop these growths. Is this true or where can I purchase this root killer?

Storm Sewer Tree Roots [ 3 Answers ]

I have tree roots that accumulate in a cleanout trap just before the storm drain leaves the house. The hair like ends of these roots appear in the clean out. Occasionally, there is also some sand that deposits there. The combination blocks the discharge, which has caused a back up into the...

View more questions Search