Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcace5899 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2008, 06:03 PM
    Credit card debt and tax refund
    I have a debt on credit cards does that impact my tax refunds? Does that info go in my taxes?
    Lon Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Mar 6, 2008, 07:31 PM
    No
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Mar 6, 2008, 07:52 PM
    Not unless you used your credit cards in a business. Then you can deduct the interest on that credit card that you used for your business. Strictly business or unreimbursed employee espenses. A lot of businesses use just one or two credit cards that are used strictly for business and that's how they know how much to deduct for interest. Late fees, penalties, annual fees are non-deductible.
    But just having personal debt on a credit card has nothing to do with taxes otherwise unless you have defaulted and they cut off your credit and wrote off the balance. Then they have every right to issue you a 1099-C (Cancellation of debt) that you must claim as Other Income and pay taxes on.
    mcace5899 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2008, 07:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobea
    Not unless you used your credit cards in a business. Then you can deduct the interest on that credit card that you used for your business. Strictly business or unreimbursed employee espenses. A lot of businesses use just one or two credit cards that are used strictly for business and that's how they know how much to deduct for interest. Late fees, penalties, annual fees are non-deductible.
    But just having personal debt on a credit card has nothing to do with taxes otherwise unless you have defaulted and they cut off your credit and wrote off the balance. Then they have every right to issue you a 1099-C (Cancellation of debt) that you must claim as Other Income and pay taxes on.
    Thank you
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Mar 6, 2008, 08:00 PM
    You're welcome.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

College Loan Debt & Credit Card Debt [ 1 Answers ]

Answer Received

FICO Credit Score: Maintain a 50% debt to credit-limit ratio on _each_ card? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been advised that I should transfer part of a balance of one credit card to another card in order to maintain 50% debt to credit limit ratio on _each_ card even though my _total_ debt to credit limit ratio is already below 50%. (Most of the debt is on one card for convenience.) I could...

Request and Writ for Garnishment (income tax refund/credit) [ 2 Answers ]

I received a "Request and Writ For Garnishment (Income Tax Refund/credit). My only source of income is a monthly disability check and a joint checking account with my husband who gets a monthly SS retirement check. We have no other source of income and file taxes jointly. The creditor is after...

Credit card debt and income tax refund [ 2 Answers ]

My credit cards are in collection. And currently my job pay check is now being garnished. Can any collection agency or credit card company, take or hold on to my tax check?

View more questions Search