Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kayebird Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Mar 6, 2008, 05:59 PM
    Should I give up - multiple debt suits
    Short story - Spouse and I were doing well and he got sick and closed his business, I retired on government annuity, we moved out of state to take care of elderly parents. We couldn't keep up with credit card debts on very small income.

Now we have 4 (yes four) pending suits filed by the same well known low life law firm for 3actions by JDB's Unifund and 1 by Midland. All summons say the OC assigned the debt.

I filed answers on 3 of them and am trying to work on discovery but have reached the end of my rope. We just received the 4th one today. What will the judge think when we have 4 complaints. What is our defense on so many - won't it look like we are deadbeats? We did default on the original credit cards and just can't pay them right now but object to the bottom feeding collectors rights.

DO I JUST NEED TO GIVE UP - and let them have default judgments?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 06:13 PM
    Bankruptcy may be an answer, if you have no where to go.
    Judges don't normally have opinoiins of you, they merely rule on the case law presented.
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Mar 7, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Not showing up = 0% chance of improving anything
    Showing up = >0% chance

Is it a large amount owed on each, or more small claims level debt? I recently read about a lady showed up for court where she was one of 8 on the docket as defendants with Midland as the plaintiff. None of the other defendants were at court, and so Midland got 7 default judgments. However, Midland didn't have any representative at court either... so her case was dismissed because she was there. They won 7/8 suits without even being in the building... they may not even bother to send people in some jurisdictions and for smaller amounts.

Really, you can't be any worse off if you go to court.

The judge may order mediation right there at the courthouse, where you can see if you can work out payment terms you can live with. You can challenge the CA standing, if nothing else.

You may also wish to consider bankruptcy as Fr_Chuck suggests.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What career suits me. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello! I've just graduated from high school and I need to chose the university that I want to follow. But I'm very confused. Since I was child I have been dreaming about having my own business and this is why I thought about studying Business Administration. But I also like: informatics especially...

Law suits [ 1 Answers ]

What are the Texas laws concerning credit card debt

Why the debt collector wants copy of bank accounts is it safe to give them pay stubs [ 3 Answers ]

I have a joint account with my dad and our bank account savings and checking is frozen my dad is the debtor the only income my dad has is his pension check and ss check. The collector has put a lien on the account and is requesting his pay stub from ss and copy of his pension check, is it safe to...

Law Suits [ 23 Answers ]

Why is it that Law Suits in the USA are always for outrageous amounts (i.e, millions of dollars) where as here in Canada, lawsuits are usually never more than 1 million? When I was in PA, on the news there was this guy suing a Drug Company for like 10 million dollars. Such a thing never occurs...

View more questions Search