Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    always_hot Posts: 114, Reputation: 16

Mar 6, 2008, 02:49 PM
    Internet speed
    Hey Everyone! I am currently thinking of cancelling my service with my cable internet provider so that I can switch to the cheaper DSL internet provider in my area. The DSL provider told me that I would get 6 mbps where I am at. So is that about the same as having cable? WilL I be able to watch episodes off the ABC website? Any input would be great!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 02:54 PM
    Depends on what speed, your cable was, my last cable company offered 4 difference speeds depending on what plan you bought. Also DSL depending on where you live, can differ in strengh.
    always_hot Posts: 114, Reputation: 16

Mar 6, 2008, 05:05 PM
    I just have regular high speed with comcast. It's whatever you get when you get basic high speed internet. This company I am interested in is all the way in CO. She told me I would get about 6 mbps. I'm just wondering how fast that is if it is even fast at all.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Mar 6, 2008, 07:41 PM
    A typical DSL download speed would be 3mbps, with an upload speed of 1.5mbps (how fast a large email attachment will be uploaded, e.g). The actual speed you get will depend on a number of factors; frankly, I'll be surprised if you can get 6mbps for download (that's what they tell you to sell their service, I suspect). I think the theoretical max is around 10mbps. The speeds for cable tend to be higher. You can read all about DSL vs cable speeds here.
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Mar 7, 2008, 09:36 AM
    6Meg DSL is becoming more common but it depends more on your location than anything else. If you can get a free month and cancel without penality then give it a shot. Just don't cancel your other provider right away.

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test
    You can test your speed there by selecting a location close to you.

My cable internet provider tells me that I'm supposed to get 6M down and .5 up. I actually come quite close to those numbers on a regular basis when I'm downloading large files but I'm one of the lucky ones I think.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet speed [ 6 Answers ]

Is there any programs out there that can help my computer surf the web better/faster? I have an old computer to give you an idea of its... I don't know... preformance I can barely run Asherons call on this computer, I tried morpheous, but I think its gearedtowards dial-up rather then ADSL (which I...

Internet Speed Monitor [ 3 Answers ]

Ive got a really good pop-up blocker and spam blocker program. But all of a sudden Ive been getting tons of pop-ups. At the bottom of the window, no matter what the pop-up is about it says "INTERNET SPEED MONITOR". I literally leave my computer on for an hour and leave, I'll come back to 17+...

High speed internet [ 8 Answers ]

I have a PC hooked up to fios high speed router upstairs.My husband hooked up a belkin device to his USB to get a signal for his PC downstairs.He cannot get a connection.Any ideas? He has windows 2000

Your Internet Connection Speed [ 8 Answers ]

Hey everyone, it's been a long time since I visited, it says I haven't been on since dec 6th, I was gone due to work, xmas shopping, and traveling. Anways I was wondering what kind of internet connection everyone uses. Back in my home in California I have cable internet, which is great and super...

High speed internet [ 11 Answers ]

I am pondering what kind of high speed internet to get for my computer. I am currently working with a dial up connection and would like to know what kind of high speed hook up I can use to my advantage. I am primarily using the connection for downloading music off Limewire. Love my music so give...

View more questions Search