Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jacob1123 Posts: 10, Reputation: 4

Mar 6, 2008, 01:34 PM
    Tax questions for the EIC
    Hello, my sister is married and has 3 kids, 2 of the oldest were born normal but the 3rd was born with profound mental retardation and is now 13 years old and lives at home with his parents, she use to claim the oldest kids on here taxs for the EIC but has never claimed the 13 year old before until 2007 where she had no problems and received a tax refund for the EIC and a additional child tax credit also. My question is if she files for a amened tax return for 2004, 2005, 2006 that I figured would come out to around $8,875 for all 3 years would the IRS audit her are should she just forget about it. She is scared to file amened returns because she thinks the state might try to take her son away from her because of him being non-educable and restricted to bed because of his handicapp. I know she could really use the money since she only makes 21,000 a year.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 23, 2008, 11:33 AM
    Have her amend the returns for 2005 and 2006. It is too late for 2004.

Amendments of this nature are rather common and will NOT affect her audit chances.

As to whether the state will intervene and try to take the child, I cannot say, but the state will NOT find out about this from the IRS, who does NOT share tax information with any government agency other than the state tax departments.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes being reviewed for denied EIC [ 11 Answers ]

Our daughter was disallowed from our 06 taxes. I have sent the IRS form8862 in July and got a response in September. I was then asked to send s.s. cards and birth certificates for all 3 children and proof from school or Dr. I sent that information on December 4. I received a letter today stating I...

Do I still qaulify for the EIC if my husband uses a ITIN # [ 9 Answers ]

I am a born citizen, but my husband is not. He has know SS #. I was told we could apply for a ITIN number for him. He has not worked this year due to a bad car accident and I need to claim him on my taxes because we are in the process of getting his green card and a tax return helps prove marriage....

How much money do you get per child for EIC [ 2 Answers ]

Wosould like to also know how much the child tax credit is

H1 status, can I claim EIC and Child Tax Credit [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I came to US for the first time on April 17th 2006. My son was born in India on July 24th. My wife and my son later joined me in US on Dec 5th 2006 My gross income for the finanicial Year 2006 was around 24000/- Can you please let me know what would be my tax filing status,...

EIC was not refunded.. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi ATE, Thanks for your help and Suggestions provided. I filed my tax returns for 2005 in Oct 2006. I had filed 1040EZ choosing "First Year Election". I did file in Oct 2006 to qualify for First Year Option, Married filing jointly. Today I got the refund credited to my bank account which is...

View more questions Search