Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shell_Lee Posts: 83, Reputation: 10

Mar 6, 2008, 11:46 AM
    "reasonable times upon reasonable notice"
    My son will be 9 in about 2 1/2 weeks. His father has had absolutely no contact with him since July 1, 2006. He lives about 10 min away and just hasn't bothered calling in this time. BF and his wife can't even keep a phone so I have no idea what their phone number is anymore (or if they even have one). When custody was set up, I was given sole physical and legal custody of my son with the father having visitation of "reasonable times upon reasonable notice".

I am getting married in less than a month. BF knew that I am getting married (he was informed by me about a year ago) but did not know the exact date. I'm a little worried that once he finds out that I am married he will want to jump back into his son's life again (it's kind of been a pattern of this since my son was born). Or maybe nothing will change and I won't have to worry.

I want to be prepared in case he does call though. Would I be out of line to say no to visitation and that he should bring me to court in order to see our son? My son remembers that he has a father out there and his name, but that's it. He doesn't remember anything else about his BF anymore. If he does take me to court then, could I ask for supervised visitation for x amount of time? Being more specific, that BF mom will supervise visitation? My son (and myself included) have a fantastic relationship with BF mom. BF, on the other hand, has not seen his mom in over a year.

Thanks
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 02:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shell_Lee
    My son will be 9 in about 2 1/2 weeks. His father has had absolutely no contact with him since July 1, 2006. He lives about 10 min away and just hasn't bothered calling in this time. BF and his wife can't even keep a phone so I have no idea what their phone number is anymore (or if they even have one). When custody was set up, I was given sole physical and legal custody of my son with the father having visitation of "reasonable times upon reasonable notice".

I am getting married in less than a month. BF knew that I am getting married (he was informed by me about a year ago) but did not know the exact date. I'm a little worried that once he finds out that I am married he will want to jump back into his son's life again (it's kind of been a pattern of this since my son was born). Or maybe nothing will change and I won't have to worry.

I want to be prepared in case he does call though. Would I be out of line to say no to visitation and that he should bring me to court in order to see our son? My son remembers that he has a father out there and his name, but that's it. He doesn't remember anything else about his BF anymore. If he does take me to court then, could I ask for supervised visitation for x amount of time? Being more specific, that BF mom will supervise visitation? My son (and myself included) have a fantastic relationship with BF mom. BF, on the other hand, has not seen his mom in over a year.

Thanks
    For starters you can say no if its unreasonable but you can't keep saying no or you face losing the child. There is an order already in place and if you violate that then you're the one in trouble. As far as the fantastic relationship with BF mom have you asked her how to contact her son ? Also if your going to ask for supervised visits then your going to have to explain why.. and it better be good. Your in a tough spot but not an impossible one and if he wants to be involved in his sons life is that a bad thing ? If so you will need to explain that to a judge.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 03:24 PM
    You can not just refuse, ( unless there is some real danger) if you keep saying no, the judge is more likely to hold you in contempt of court more than to be favorable to you.

If you want to change his level of visits, NOW before he tries to visit is when to change. Often to get supervised visits, you will have to prove he is a danager to the child. Also while you did not mention child support, if he is not current, that needs to be addressed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex-Girlfriend wants to get back together - Slept with "friend" multiple times [ 3 Answers ]

My former girlfriend and I have dated on and off for 4 years, 2.5 of those years were in a long distance relationship. I have broken up with her twice during that time and both times we have decided to get back together. The reason I broke up with her on the last occasion was because she wanted...

English 80's movie about a boy in medievil times trying to defeat "Carto" [ 3 Answers ]

I've been dying to find the name of this movie. I saw it in the mid-80's, possibly on the BBC or PBS channel. It's about a boy in medievil times trying to defeat his enemy, "the evil Carto" (sp?). I remember there was some sort of magician that helped him along the way but the magician was only...

Heater won't kick on LED flashes "2" times ? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm having a problem with my heat kicking on after not using it for the summer , I went to the roof and trouble shooted and there is a LED light that flashes 2 times . The manual says If the Led flashes 2 times it's the end switch , if the end switch doesn't close before the ignition period ....

What is a reasonable settlement? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm from Riverdale, GA. I was recently in an accident where I was hit from behind. It was not a lot of damage, but damage nevertheless. I got the guy's insurance information, and we are in the process of settling the matter. The car damage estimates are in, but we are lost as far as the bodily...

Turn key & get "click" a few times then the car starts [ 8 Answers ]

Hello Car Experts! Need you expert opinion on this problem I'm having with my 95 Avalon: When I turn the key it clicks about the first 6 times and finally it starts after that. What causes this? (Starter, battery cables, Alternator?) Would appreciate any advice

View more questions Search