Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lizard7 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2008, 10:18 AM
    The BAD news
    A friend of mine is an accountant and has been doing my taxes for the last 3 years. Not until recently was I informed by him that he never filed my 05 taxes and lost all the documents. I being an idiot never thought about it after not receiving anything. I was told by him that I didn't get anything back anyway. I'm surprised I never got contacted by the IRS in regards to this situation. Now I need to set things right. I have to track down all of my employers from that time. I have started making phone calls. All but 1 of my employers still have a file on me with a copy of my old W2. I was laughed at by that former employer stating that they wouldn't have a file on me since it's been this long. Pretty much telling me that it was my tough luck and it wasn't their responsibility to get me a copy. How the heck do I get a copy of this. I haven't worked for the restaurant in almost 3 yrs and have no prior paystubs. What is to happen if I file for 05 with the info that I was able to collect. Never have been in this situation. What are the repercussions of having not filed? Any help will be appreciated.

Needless to say I will not allow my friend to do my taxes anymore.
    Marriedguy Posts: 474, Reputation: 115

Mar 6, 2008, 11:04 AM
    I'm not a tax professional but odds are the reason why the IRS has not contacted you because you over paid and was entitled to a refund.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2008, 11:41 AM
    The IRS can come after you whenever they find the time. Hopefully, you could contact the IRS and explain your predicament,

You should have signed a return and at that point, you should have been alerted when there was nothing to sign.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 07:30 PM
    You or your tax professional can contact the IRS to find out what income was reported on all of your W-2s and how much taxes were withheld. I don't remember the form number. If you call the IRS and ask about your "transcript" for 2005, they should be able to help.
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Mar 6, 2008, 07:59 PM
    IntlTax is right. You can call the IRS and they will send you a transcript of all income, dividends, interest, mortgage interest that you paid, stock sold, etc. You can use that information to file your tax return with. Sometimes you have to cut and paste and recopy the information to get it to fit on one section. Like your W-2's. They may show the info on separate pages. Just cut, paste and copy and then cut the paper the same size that shows all of your W-2 info on it and you can attach that to your return when you file. If you have a refund coming it's okay. The IRS might even pay you a little interest on it But at this time of the year, the IRS is busy, so it may take a while to get the transcript. Be patient and it will work out. But call them tomorrow to get the ball rolling.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 10:20 PM
    lizard7:
    You should call IRS. They may be able to provide you copies of your W2 and 1099s for 2005. Call 1-800-829-1040, or use Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return. There is no fee for a transcript.
    If IRS can't provide you W2, then you will contact Social security administration. They will provide you copies of W2 for a small fees.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is he bad news and should I cut ties? [ 5 Answers ]

I have been seeing this man for 2 months. He has come to my place, gone out a few times,he calls me 1-3 times per day. He works a lot and I work weekends which doesn't bother him. We are both 48,divorced for 2-3 years.(I am a nurse, he a cop) I am looking for a relationship down the road and not...

More bad climate change news [ 1 Answers ]

Dead trees spewing greenhouse gases Darn that Bush. Better get out there and plant those trees, or is that bad for wildfires? How does something "slowly" spew anyway? That ain't all the bad news...

Good news or bad news are these doctors of their rocker? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone, well I went to the doctor today concerning my miscarriage last week. Some of you may have read my post about having discharge and why the bleeding stopped (after only 3-4 days), well it turns out I am one of those women who can pass everything in 4 days. I have had an ultrasound...

Bad news [ 5 Answers ]

Can you poop out tapeworm?

?Bad News for Firefox Users? [ 6 Answers ]

Got this on one of my Computer World subscriptions and just thought I'd share it. I use Firefox for things I can't get on I.E. now some game-playing is messing things up here too. Too bad the internet is also being manipulated by 'powers that be'. ...

View more questions Search