Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tempic Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2008, 10:12 AM
    Commercial lease - being sued for old rent
    I will try to keep this very short. My wife's Michigan business recently closed and moved out of the facility - with proper notice to LL. She was off-lease - it had expired months before so it was a month-to-month arrangement. BTW, the business is incorporated.

Several months after closing we got a letter from LL's lawyer demanding almost $20,000 in unpaid rent.

I questioned my wife and she admitted she hadn't been keeping up with the rent. I looked at the accounting software and found that in fact she had been behind in rent for 16 months, rarely paying the full amount and one month not paying at all, most months paying a significantly reduced amount.

Did LL register a complaint via writing or through legal counsel during the period in question? No. Did he lockout the site until the rent was brought up to date? No. Did he initiate eviction? No. Did he make any attempt to repossess? No. Did he advertise the site to find a new tenant? No. Did he put a For Lease sign in the window? No. When the lease expired did he demand to be brought current before going month-to-month? No.

On the contrary, did he continue to perform as landlord throughout the 16 month period of consistently late, insufficient and even occasional missing payments? Yes.

This seemed crazy to me that this letter was the first official notice of any problem. We offered to settle for just the security deposit he still held. He refused and has now sued us.

Is it legitimate for LL to fail to mitigate for 16 months and then expect the entire difference? Doesn't he have any obligation to act to limit his own damages? If he continued to perform without action over a period of 16 months - doesn't that imply acceptance of the payments as they were?

Are either the "failure to mitigate" or "waiver by acquiesence" defenses valid?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 12:30 PM
    I don't understand your defense of failure to mitigate. How is the landlord supposed to mitigate? Your wife's business was in the premises so the landlord couldn't put another tenant in there. What other method of mitigation is there?

I also don't see how the landlord waived his rights. There is no obligation to evict a tenant for non-payment or partial payment. Maybe the landlord made a business decision that it was better to receive some rent than to have an empty space and receive no rent at all. That doesn't eliminate his right to demand any balance that may be due.

The only thing that may help you is the fact that the business is a corporation. If the original lease was signed by the corporation, and not by you or your wife as individuals, and if neither of you ever personally guaranteed the lease, then the landlord can only prevail against the corporation.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 6, 2008, 12:36 PM
    I'm sorry but here you have a landlord who was being a nice guy, carrying your wife's business through hard times and now you want to stiff him?? Shame on you!

If the business went bust and the lease was in the business name, that's one thing. The business has no money to pay its bills. But if the lease was guaranteed by personal signature, then you owe him the money. You can try negotiating a settlement but if this comes to court you WILL lose.

Mar 6, 2008, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I'm sorry but here you have a landlord who was being a nice guy, carrying your wife's business thru hard times and now you want to stiff him???? Shame on you!
    Well, that's one perspective. Here's my view: he didn't do us any favor by letting this slide. His "nice guy" actions made it easy for my wife to hide this information from me (that's a problem between her and I).

Allowing a business that is obviously in trouble to keep going deeper and deeper into debt it is not exactly altruism. Letting this go on for 16 months, even after the lease expired is a calculated risk.

He knew the business was for sale and he took a gamble that we might be able to sell it in which case he would have a new tenant on a long lease again. In the meantime he had some rent coming in - better than nothing. If he had another tenant he could have kicked us out with 30 days notice after the lease expired. There was no other tenant so he took what he could get knowing he could sue us later. Yeah - that's "nice".

We may be on weak legal ground, but don't try to tell me he was being nice. Letting it slide for a month or two is nice. Letting it slide for 16 months - even after the lease expired - is not nice.

Mar 6, 2008, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657
    I don't understand your defense of failure to mitigate. How is the landlord supposed to mitigate? Your wife's business was in the premises so the landlord couldn't put another tenant in there. What other method of mitigation is there?
    Late, insufficient, and missing payments are violations of the lease contract - he could have taken a variety of formal and informal actions even up to starting eviction. He took no actions at all to mitigate his loss.

"Duty to mitigate" is a well known concept - I'm just not sure if it applies in this case. Most examples I have found relate to what a LL does when a tenant breaks a lease prematurely and leaves the premises, or when a LL throws someone out prematurely for violating the lease. I couldn't find examples that mirrored this situation just shrugs his shoulders for 16 months and then sues.

It may be that the "waiver by acquiescense" is a more appropriate argument.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 6, 2008, 01:46 PM
    I'm not saying the LL did it totally out of altruism. But the fact is he could have cracked down and caused the business to fail even sooner. I still think you are wrong to try and stiff him.
    Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 02:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempic
    Late, insufficient, and missing payments are violations of the lease contract - he could have taken a variety of formal and informal actions even up to starting eviction. He took no actions at all to mitigate his loss.
    As I asked earlier, what action should he take?

"Duty to mitigate" is a well known concept -
    Yes, I'm very well aware of that. (You really should read the profiles of the people who are giving you answers to your questions.)

I'm just not sure if it applies in this case. Most examples I have found relate to what a LL does when a tenant breaks a lease prematurely and leaves the premises, or when a LL throws someone out prematurely for violating the lease. I couldn't find examples that mirrored this situation just shrugs his shoulders for 16 months and then sues.
    Gee... I just found a perfect example that mirrors this case by Googling "duty to mitigate" and Michigan and commercial. The perfect example was Barocas v. THC, Inc. 549 N.W.2d 86 (1996), where the court found that the tenant must abandon the premises or surrender the lease before the landlord has a duty to mitigate. Check out footnote 69 at Commercial Real Estate Leases ... - Google Book Search

Mar 6, 2008, 02:45 PM
    Yes, I'm very well aware of that. (You really should read the profiles of the people who are giving you answers to your questions.)
    Ouch. Sorry about that.

Gee...I just found a perfect example that mirrors this case by Googling "duty to mitigate" and Michigan and commercial. The perfect example was Barocas v. THC, Inc., 549 N.W.2d 86 (1996), where the court found that the tenant must abandon the premises or surrender the lease before the landlord has a duty to mitigate. Check out footnote 69 at Commercial Real Estate Leases ... - Google Book Search

I googled for hours and didn't find this one. I don't know how close that case really mirrors ours, but I'll concede that the "duty to mitigate" argument is going to be weak.

How about the "waiver by acquiescense" argument? Any value there?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 03:01 PM
    Sorry, but nothing will lesson the obligation of the rentor, short of moving out and the area being rented to someone else, officially moving out with notice and being formally evicted.

Why was the landlord a poor business person, and allowing your wife to get away with not paying, maybe just that, maybe they are a poor business person, or perhaps he was not keeping up with the books either but just merely trusted your wife to pay.
    Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempic
    How about the "waiver by acquiescense" argument? Any value there?
    Very, and I mean VERY, tenuous. Definitely not worth going to court over it. And if you do go to court rather than settling you'll probably have to pay the landlord's legal fees and court costs as well if you lose (which I think you will).

If you or your wife personally signed or personally guaranteed the lease then, if I were in your position, I would settle with the landlord before it reaches trial.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to enforce lease term/collect due rent when tenant breaks lease [ 8 Answers ]

My tenant who signed a 12-month lease in November just told me she is moving out in less than a week. She took it upon herself to prorate this month's rent. I would like to enforce the lease agreement and collect the rent for the remaining months of the term, but I need to know how to go about...

Lease renewal - roommate hasn't signed new lease but will not leave or pay rent. [ 6 Answers ]

My roommate/best friend and I have lived in the same three bedroom apartment in New Jersey for 4 years. This past year we took in a 3rd roommate that we had met through friends. Upon her moving in the 3rd roommate signed the current lease agreement, which is now due to end in a few days. About...

Being sued for rent almost 2yrs later [ 1 Answers ]

I made a verbal agreement with my best friends mom of 15 yrs to rent a room for 150.00 a month. At that time I was a full time student and single mom. The verbal agreement was that I would pay 150 a month or help with her home and children. I helped over and above. The last few months I didn't...

Commercial Lease [ 3 Answers ]

A partner of the company entered into a lease with a tenant. The company name does not appear on the lease, but the word 'landlord' is used. The partner has sinced died. Is the commercial lease still valid/enforcable? Any help is appreciated.

View more questions Search