Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chewy senior Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2008, 09:34 AM
    e-mail spam security
    Can anyone explain how it is possible to receive e-mail, seemingly from your own e-mail address (both To and From are identical) but is actually from some spammer? I am trying to understand the security risks here.
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Mar 6, 2008, 01:58 PM
    It's actually quite simple. When you setup your mail client you tell it what your email address is... you can enter anything you like and that's what will show up as the from address when mail is sent. You can then address the email to whomever you want, even if it's the same name that was used when setting up the mail client.

Having said that, spammers don't use mail clients like Outlook or Thunderbird they have programs that pull from lists of email addresses, they can use anything they want as the from address and often times the address they're sending to is the easiest thing to use.

Some mail servers will check to make sure that the domain name that's used in the from address is actually the domain the email was sent from. If it's not the message can be flagged as spam or some other notification placed on the email so it's obvious that the sender is possibly not who they say they are.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My NEW mail & Mail To Be Sent are not showing up on AOL 9.0, how do I fix this? [ 6 Answers ]

How do I get my NEW mail and Mail To Be Sent to show up on AOL? I use the AOL 9.1 software, Windows 2000. As you may or may not know, AOL allows several screen names, mail shows up on all other screen names, the problem is with only one screen name. When I am on another screen name and try to...

How do I mail in my forms to MN couthouse for return of my security deposit ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. This year, I moved out of my apartment in May. I gave my required written 30 day notice including my new forwarding mailing address. When I moved out, I had decided to shampoo the carpets and I also out a fresh coat of paint on the walls. I was told I would receive my damage deposit in...

Great Auto Response mail for Employee Suggestion mail [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, As part of HR, I take care of the Suggestion Committee which encourages employees to post their suggestions through mail. The ideas are chosen after a period of 1 month by a pre-designated Committee. For every suggestion, we have to give a positive, motivating response in our...

Blue Security Spam Fighting [ 5 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone else here uses Blue Frog for spam and if you have found that you are getting any less spam. For those who don't know what it is basically you can report your spam to the Blue Security group and they hammer the spammer's website's with opt out requests on your behalf. ...

How to set the basic spam mail protection [ 1 Answers ]

How to setup the mail server (by using sendmail) with basic spam mail protection. At least enable the sender DNS reverse lookup feature. The mail server is running Linux. Please help! Thks.

View more questions Search